Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurabarlett

I am completely perplexed on what to do with my family room kitchen area

barlett
11 years ago
The ceilings are incredibly high and the brass needs to go. Would like to put the tv over the fireplace and thinking about stone on the fireplace as well. Would love wood floor, dark and modern. Want to stay modern but not sterile. Kitchen is a whole other story

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would put built-ins on either side of the fireplace. Run wiring above fireplace, wall in the niche up to the top of the upper "shelf" that now exists and hang TV over the mantle. The components for the TV would then go into the built-ins and be hidden. If you wish to use something to cover the fireplace, consider a white split-face marble to create the attached look.

[houzz=
    Original Flooring · More Info
    ]
  • Brooke Henderson
    11 years ago
    I am not an expert at all, but first look, you need built ins on both sides of the fireplace. It will house your media out of sight and if you put your vases there, it will be perfect pops of color. I think that to have the tv above the fireplace you need to build out the wall where the red vases are to be a flat surface and that should give you the room to hide cords and cables for the tv.. I think a piece of modern art that is tall would be perefect above the tv or finish the spot with stone or tiles. like this, but taller! good luck.
    Rustic Modern Kitchen and Family Room · More Info
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Define newly need built ins, any ideas on how to do this and make it modern, thinking floating shelves and a built in across the bottom?? I love the amble suggestion also
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also was thinking about wood border in room with carpet in middle. Would the dark brown sectional clash with a dark wood floor?
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I agree built in shelving and cupboards either side of fireplace. I don't agree with tvs over fireplaces as it is not ergonomic to be craning one's neck upwards to watch tv. I think I would put a tall mirror or artwork over the fireplace and perhaps seal off the two upper niches on your fireplace wall as it is a bit busy. Would also seal over the niche going up your chimney and make it a flat surface too. There is a lot going on design wise in your room with the four squarish holes looking through to the staircase so I would opt for simplifying the fireplace wall.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Maybe you can make them look useful and intentional.Number 3 below must have originally looked pretty tacky but is passable now. #4 not so successful. Would you be afraid to try some sculpture there?
    Applegate Tran Interiors · More Info

SYNERGY, Great Room · More Info

Vignettes · More Info

Bedroom · More Info

BY JADO DEVELOPMENTS & JADO DECOR CHRISTINE TSINGELIDIS COLE STREET · More Info

dining room · More Info
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    uh oh, this shows my decorating sense, i actually thought #4 was nice??? would paint make a big difference if we went with darker floors, would we need lighter colors on walls?
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    okay and so framed in carpet area, gotcha. All wood
  • ms1zebra
    11 years ago
    I think you need to build up the fireplace to make it appear larger. Currently it is dwarfed by the the spaces on either side of the fireplace (where the built-ins should go). The fireplace needs to be the focal point, not the big empty holes on either side.
  • angiesays
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would like the built-ins on either side of the fireplace, but would have them be low to follow the line of the wall behind your two red chairs. The top of these would fall just below the mantle on your fireplace making it stand out more. I like the architectural lines of your house and would run recessed strip or can lighting (on a dimmer of course) on the horizontal sides of the upper beam above either side of the fireplace to shine upward and downward to softly highlight your artworks displayed. A splash of color above the fireplace would also be nice. The TV and fireplace are good as they are in my eyes.
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Your right the fireplace does look dwarfed and it would be a great focal point. I'll start looking at ways to enhance it. I also like the idea if the built ins being lower. Would I need to do the built in first after ripping the carpet out or after the floor is done? Can we talk wall color? Every walk in the house is super neutral and suggestions? I was sitting in the family room last night and know it has potential for coziness with the right additions
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also was considering bringing the sofa off the wall a bit, what do u think?
  • PRO
    All About Home Electronics.com
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    In my opinion you have a reasonably challenging set of decisions to make.

The fireplace "appears" to not have a raised hearth, plus the viewing distance from not only the primary seating area, not to mention the kitchen area, lends to mounting the TV above your fireplace while remaining comfortable to the viewer's neck etc.

http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/how-to/hang-a-tv-on-a-wall.html

The problem however, in part, relates to scale; your fireplace and surround are so narrow (comparatively speaking) in relation the rest of the wall space(s), to hang a TV over the FP, your current or larger TV, will tend to look awkward.

In this case, an interior designer and/or really good custom cabinet maker should be able to sketch out something to make that entire wall work. Although I'm unfamiliar with who originally designed this wall area we've run into these situations with builders on job sites as they are trying to think through these designs on their own. Careful planning "might" be your best bet in this case.
    http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/entertainment-cabinet/custom-builtin.html
  • PRO
    barlett
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for the link, great info! I've been trying to carefully plan for about 2 years now. Its just so awkward!
  • angiesays
    11 years ago
    In my humble opinion, I would have a cabinetmaker install the built-ins after tearing out the carpet and before installing the new hardwood flooring. The cabinets should be of the same style/design as those in your kitchen/bath and painted in your woodwork color. The sofa pulled out away from the wall and more centered in the room also sounds like a good idea. Since the paint color on the walls is of a neutral taupe color, the color I would choose would be a very toned down red (I like to "marry" colors so they take on the same hue/intensity as the surrounding wall color.) This red would be of the same red as your two side chairs. This may take some trial and error samples, and should have a soft visual effect. It should be as soft as the taupe on the walls, yet have a punch of color. I can't see any other color that would tie in your walls to your furnishings. I like to use clear plastic switch/outlet covers and paint the inside with the wall color so they don't stick out on your wall also.