Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_weingart

NYC Small Bathroom Renovation: Before/After

Liz W
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The decision to gut renovate your only bathroom in a NYC Coop is a major one. The time involved, cost, Coop Board approval, city permits, displacement...it is stressful. I was forced to do this after a massive flood from above. But, frankly, my 80s bathroom was very dated and it was time to get rid of this almond and pink atrocity.

I did all the research, design and planning myself. Visited 20 showrooms. Scoured the internet. I found that designing a compact 5" x 7" space is a lot harder than a large bathroom, particularly with an oversized window in the shower. I kept my budget at about $20K. Wanted to create the feeling of a hotel bath in Miami with art moderne elements.

In my case, the most challenging purchase was the vanity. It had to be narrow. The 21" Empire Industries Daytona with Tribeca sink fit the bill. The tile, paint and accessories were selected to match the vanity.

To be honest, the entire process of picking out a vanity, tub, toilet, medicine cabinet, light fixtures, accessories, paint and tile was overwhelming. Too many options. If you don't have the time, or intestinal fortitude, stop now and hire a designer. I stuck it out because I really enjoy being creative.

My contractor warned me, "Prepare for dust". Ripping down the walls of a 1938 Coop creates a huge dust cloud. My advice: WRAP EVERYTHING. Your couch, paintings, piano, television...seal it all with plastic. Room seals don't protect everything. Get a shop vac, masks and an air purifier for nightly cleaning. I cannot stress this enough.

Once the old bath was demolished, we were left with a bad subfloor and 1938 plumbing. Replacing a subfloor requires many layers - wood, wire lath, thin-set or cement board, topped with your floor tile. I recommend that you pay close attention to how high your new floor will be after all those layers. Discuss that with your contractor, so you don't wind up with a very high transition between rooms. In fact, pay attention to the height of everything. Your shower head, mirror height, lighting, electrical sockets, towel bar...etc. If you are petite, your 6'3" contractor may not consider your 5"2" frame. Make sure the electrician provides slack in the wiring so that fixtures can be adjusted to your height preferences. If you don't stay on top of these options, your contractor will install to industry standards. It is really in your best interest to be home during construction.

You will have to live with your tile installation for years. Pay close attention. Is your contractor providing any additional waterproofing? Is it necessary? (What about Redgard?) How thick is that adhesive going on? Are you seeing lippage? (When tile edges protrude.) Some installers work with spacers, others don't. If you don't like what you are seeing, make him remove any poorly installed or chipped tiles. Grout will not hide all woes.

Paint is tricky. I started with Benjamin Moore Silver Fox satin paint which looked fabulous during the day. But, at night, this grey/beige tone turned green. Didn't matter if I changed lightbulbs in my fixture, the undertones of green remained. So, we repainted with Nimbus. Lesson learned.

To complete the look, I opted for B&W images of South Beach hotels to add a touch of art deco to the long subway tile design (3" x 12"). My striped wash cloths pick up on the art moderne lines of the hotel architecture. I opted against shelving to make the room look bigger and reduce dust collection.

So, here it is! After months of planning, took just eight days to renovate. What a change! I am very happy with the results. Each time I step into the bathroom, I think I am checked into The Delano in Miami. If only there was a cabana and pool outside. :)

There is no more wood exposed around the window. We framed and tiled to the window edge. I did install a clear curtain in front of the window, because I prefer the tracks of the window to not get drenched. It works well and the room is very bright and cheerful.

Comments (129)

• Liz W
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nukte Tuncok-Fischer - Most coops in NYC require you to replace your shower body and branch lines when gut renovating a bathroom. My coop also required the LAA, even though I wasn't moving anything, was using a licensed plumber and thought it was money down the toilet (pun intended). I would have never left 1938 pipes in my shower anyway, so the requirement to replace pipes wasn't a big deal. I was just most annoyed by having to hire an expeditor, which is a fact of life in NYC to get any permits processed or filed. They are expensive!

• PRO
    Purewal Contractors, Inc
    8 years ago

Liz W Your Bathroom Looks Great but that Price 20K is a little high than what i give i would say it would be for me is 17K plus all approvals and permits, though NYC Coops want to have a licensed plumber/General Contractor pull LAA/GC-OT/Plumbing/Mechanical/Equipment Permits because one it gives them security from NYC DOB ECB Violations, but a few comments ago you said that permit can be pulled via email it can't contractors, plumbers and expediters have a special license that you need to get on top of everything else which is the Filing Representative in which that license is were you pull permits and file all work and the we need to show all the form PW1 Form and our Insurances so in which the permits can be done on the DOB Permit Process System for small jobs but projects that are well above 25-50k we always do at the self-serve hub in lower Manhattan.

Purewal Contractors Inc

• Doctor Homes
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

- Most coops in NYC requir... That's isn't true. Most supervisors, just want to get some $50s. That's all. If you going to file it- that's are different story. If you don't- So- no any money...No complications. You don't have to explain to them what you doing- just changing a tiles on a wall. Only important- The garbage! How to deal with that. And very important- you don't have to get any permits. Basically talking- you are doing only renovation. Or- you are loose THE money...

• ispascr
    8 years ago

lovely

• Bev
    8 years ago

WOW--Beautiful transformation!

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

YOU did a tremendous job when selecting your materials.

Your CONTRACTOR is worth his weight in gold for completing the project in only eight days.

• nate
    7 years ago

hi. where did you get your radiator cover from? thanks

• Susan Mooney
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Great job Liz! I'm so impressed that you handled all the design by yourself. I used a designer for our main living area a couple years ago. I picked out all the finishes for the kitchen but was clueless on the living/dining room. We are now getting ready to remodel the master bed and bath and was shocked to hear my designer say it would be 15-25K. Our bath is just a bit bigger than yours. It was helpful to me to know it cost you that much. It was hard for me to believe my tiny bathroom would be so expensive. I'm like you, I would want all high end finishes. I am in the San Francisco bay area and everything is more expensive here too. I just wanted to thank you for your detailed post. It really helped me a lot!

• PRO
    Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc.
    7 years ago

Wow! This is an incredible transformation. It is so inspiring to see what can be done to create a beautiful space. Great work!

• User
    7 years ago

Amazing transformation!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Great job! Congrats on your new bathroom. Now, go and enjoy it!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Great job! Congrats on your new bathroom. Now, go and enjoy it!

• PRO
    KT tile
    7 years ago

Very beautiful bathroom! It is great transformation!

• PRO
    Hammer Design Build Remodel
    7 years ago

What a tremendous job you've done! Beautiful Result!

• Katrina Tate
    7 years ago

Liz W Fabulous job and beautiful choices! If you add a laundry chute in place of the radiator (and remove the window) you would be standing in my 1958 NYC 5 x 7 bathroom that is costing about $22K to renovate....not including coop alteration agreement fees, architect and expeditor fees since we are relocating fixtures. Funny that you settled on the 21" Empire vanity. We are getting that same brand but a 21" console version. We are adding a storage niche in the shower and storage in place of the laundry chute.

I echo all of you comments about renovating small spaces. Labor alone for the bathroom ranged from $10,000 - $15,000 from various contractors. Add mid-range to high-end fixtures and tile and you are at $20K easily. We are moving out and were told to take everything since the dust will be unbearable with the bathroom remodel plus the kitchen and knocking down a bedroom wall.

I had settled on Benjamin Moore gray owl but will get a sample of Nimbus today. Thanks for the inspiration! Did you install an outlet in the medicine cabinet?

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 years ago

Beautiful - much better!

Liz W thanked Mega Builders
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Great bathroom, congrats !

Liz W thanked Studio NOO Design
  • bensonhurst
    7 years ago

Hi Liz- Your bathroom looks great! I'm thinking of getting DXV Byrdcliffe tub. How is it holding up? Are you happy with toilet? Unfortunately not any reviews of either online. Thanks, D

Liz W thanked bensonhurst
  • Dmitriy Guzheyedov
    7 years ago

to bensonhurst I'm sure, if you think about something new as the DXV Byrdcliffe tub, you need to find out where's a showroom, and simply jump in it. I'm talking about a "lumbar support". If it fit for your- fine! That is mine opinion- I do not trust to new brands and vogue too. Best regards!

inhere some link to- http://www.dxv.com/product/byrdcliffe-soaking-tub-left-hand-drain-by-dxv

locator- http://www.dxv.com/showroom/locatebyzip/11234/withinmiles/20/regardingproduct/byrdcliffe-soaking-tub-left-hand-drain-by-dxv

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 years ago

Wow! Your bathroom is gorgeous! Love the colors of floor subway tiles! You did a nice job in picking out a vanity that would fit this area! The bathroom does look bigger than before! Enjoy!

Liz W thanked Stecki Construction
  • PRO
    Secret Bath
    7 years ago

Great effort, professional result. Amazing update. Congrats. Enjoy it.

Liz W thanked Secret Bath
  • zealart
    7 years ago

Your bathroom looks great and has a lot of elements that I will be implementing in my own. Could you share the name and color of your wall and floor tile?

Liz W thanked zealart
  • Liz W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Zealart - My wall tile is from Jeffrey Court's Vintage Studio line in Mountain Mist (3" x 12" field tile, plus ramp edge tiles). My floor tiles are from Ceramiche Brennero in Italy. The line is called Splendida. The color is Pearl.

• Liz W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@bensonhurst - The DXV Byrdcliffe tub is the same as of the American Standard Princeton tub, just rebranded in Toto Cotton White. The toilet is great.

• Liz W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey everyone! My bathroom design has been named a finalist in Jeffrey Court's Best of the Best competition. I'd appreciate if you could vote for me! Voting will run from December 1 - 20th, 2016. You can vote daily! Thank you for all your compliments.

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/bestofthebest/

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 years ago

Love it! It looks so great!

• Tony Clifton
    7 years ago

@Liz W - how do you like your Empire vanity? Holding up so far? I'm about to embark on a gut renovation in my master bath in Brooklyn and am having a tough time finding a good yet affordable vanity. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

• PRO
    Walker Woodworking
    7 years ago

WOW! What a transformation! Great job!

• nycviews
    7 years ago

Hi Liz,

I am interviewing contractors for a 5X8 bathroom renovation in nyc.

I am not moving anything and bids are coming in at $25000 for labor, sketch and permits.

Your bathroom came out great. I know a couple of others asked but are you able to share the name of your contractor?

Thanks!

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    7 years ago

Looks great. Love the design!

• Larkin 04
    7 years ago
    Awesome job!! Congrats! Power to the people with the support of internet. I love the design aspect and brings me great satisfaction as a homeowner but it is crazy how much detail there is to learn about everything...every little damn thing.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    7 years ago

lovely!

• Tiina
    7 years ago

Fellow New Yorker here!

Working on our kitchen right now. With the plan to do our bathroom sometime in the future future. Too tired to take on anything else right now. Anyhow that is to say I found this post SUPER helpful and detailed. Renovating in NY can feel like such as specialized bizarro universe that I really appreciate someone taking the time to go through it like you did. Looks beautiful btw.

• PRO
    RemodelWerks LLC
    7 years ago

Nice job! The space looks very nice!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Liz W, we know first hand, how scary it can be to gut a really old space. It's often like opening a can of worms.... it's just one surprise after another. But congrats, because you made it through, and it looks really amazing! A complete improvement from the pink and almond :) and not to mention, it sounds like, structurally, it's a lot better now too.

Great job, enjoy!

The Flooring Blog

The Couture Floor Company

• Lauri Viksush
    7 years ago
    Looks awesome great job
  • PRO
    Cocoweb Inc.
    7 years ago

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! A truly remarkable transformation.

• PRO
    White Marble Source
    6 years ago

Vast improvement! Wonderful work.

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    6 years ago

It's beautiful! Great job! I'm wondering how the cabinet is holding up?

• PRO
    ALLBRiGHT
    6 years ago

Looks beautiful!

• sabinenyc
    5 years ago

Hi Liz, did you have any issues with water bugs/roaches (while the walls were open and the pipes exposed? thank you!

• sabinenyc
    5 years ago

Also the tile place was telling me that the cabinet might not be as durable and they're getting complaints, did you have any issues with it at all?

• SWC
    4 years ago

Hi Liz, I found your post after searching for help on my exact same size bathroom in a NYC coop. My bathroom however does not have a window, which I would have liked for light and air. You did an amazing job, I am so impressed. You probably have already mentioned this, but because you have so many posts on your article I can’t find it: can you please tell me that name and color of your floor tiles and your subway tiles? Thank you!

• Liz W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi - My wall tile is from Jeffrey Court's Vintage Studio line in Mountain Mist (3" x 12" field tile, plus ramp edge tiles). My floor tiles are from Ceramiche Brennero in Italy. The line is called Splendida. The color is Pearl. Good luck with your renovation!

• SWC
    4 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much Liz.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    4 years ago

Amazing bathroom transformation! It looks stunning!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

It looks great. Glad that you kept a tub instead of just having a shower. Great job!

• HU-678821239
    3 years ago

Looks amazing how you managed to keep everything so minimal!! I tried renovating my bathroom in love for DIYs and it was a disaster. My recent coordination with Tremblay Renovations for my penthouse in Ottawa was amazing and the outlook was just dreamy. I would totally recommend them to anyone looking for Bathroom renovation Ottawa.