Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmilazzo

Which home office layout?

valmilazzo
9 years ago

HI! I need input on arranging furniture in my home office. Please look at the six options pictured and let me know - which do you think would work best? Any other suggestions?

I work from home part-time, so I need a functional space with room somewhere for files, the printer, etc. And yes - I am a piler, not a filer, unfortunately, so I am worried about this looking decent and not depressing when you walk in the door. There is a great view and bright light coming in from the sliding glass doors. How do I take advantage of that? In addition, I'd love some space for lounging and reading a book or watching TV. I'm hoping I can fit in my "Craigslist special" antique sofa for that purpose.

The room is 12 feet wide and 14 1/2 feet long from the sliding glass doors to the back wall.

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (5)

• Vicki Denson
    9 years ago

A couple of questions that will help to decide. Will you have clients visiting the office? If so what door will they enter through? Can you move your piles to a closet if you need to clean up in a hurry? Do you want an easy path to the sliding glass doors?

I lean toward a storage closet for your files, printers, and general office stuff. If you can pile on a tray, it would be easy and fast clean up to move a tray to the closet. Your sofa sounds pretty and I visualize that as something of a focal point, so I would want it out into the room.

I like C with a storage closet and flip your desk around so it faces the sofa. If clients would be using the half light door have consider putting your sofa at an angle in the corner with the lower ceiling and your desk as in A but at an angle.

• handmethathammer
    9 years ago

How often do you use the sliding doors to go outside. I like option B best. Or option C with the chair in the corner and the desk facing out on an angle.

• Shirley Nessralla
    9 years ago
    C but with desk as in D.
  • valmilazzo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your helpful input! It sounds like we are building a consensus around Option C, with a few modifications. I think you are right, that arrangement will work well and look nice, as long as I have a spacious storage hutch or an actual closet to hide electronics and files in. To answer Vicki's question, no, I do not have any clients visiting. But the room will serve as a pass-through to the loft area (through the half-lite door), so I would like to keep it looking somewhat presentable for family and visiting friends. Yes, I do want an easy path to the sliding glass doors, as there is a lovely balcony outside them. Fortunately, the operable door is the one in the center of the room. So putting the sofa as in Option C will not block the door.

Please let me know if anyone has more input! Thanks again!

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

No no no, not C. Never with your back to the room. Option B, for sure. That way you won't be surprised by someone sneaking in from the hallway. We don't want any myocardial infarctions here.