Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxurybeauty

small entryway

luxurybeauty
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I have a bi level home. it is soo small. but I want to make it welcoming. Here are the pics. the wrought iron metal stair rail and just plain stairs are so dated. thank you

Comments (5)

• PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    There are 3 things I would recommend: 1) get a runner for the stairway, something with a pattern so it is forgiving of all the foot traffic 2) replace handrail with wooden one and replace balusters with metal ones in a dark bronze finish and lastly 3) remove and drywall over that niche with the ducks in it. Maybe add one wide piece of artwork there (vs many small pieces). Actually, any one of these ideas would update this space.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I actually like this entryway given the restricted size. Not so crazy about the semi-circle niches. And the updates suugested by PH interiors. LLC would be nice.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    HI -- I think it already looks welcoming but understand your need for change . I like the landing floor and stairs but the wood doesn't look the same , is that so ? I think if you change the railing with either painting it ,maybe white or getting something in another style . Put a carpet runner in a natural color ,even with a side border and then a matching bigger squared area rug for the landing . Looks like there was a stair runner on the stairs in the past ?! Then you could paint out all the wood trim and the little cubby shelf . You could also change the style of the shelf by squareing it off or even making it bigger /longer - but I think it is cute. Remove the trim around the light switch , looks a bit odd to me. You could also add a textured wallpaper to the bottom area and then paint the whole stairwell area a new color . You could also darken the stain on the door or paint it a rich color . Then have a few interesting decor items that can change out so it doesn't get boring . Putting a piece of mirror in the back of the shelf cubby instead of the wood will add a bit of handy sparkle. Even though the shelf cubby is cute , I would be tempted to make a long shallow opening or shelf with mirror in the back almost the lenght of that half wall ,and not have a shelf sticking out . It would be like a shallow box set into the wall.
  • PRO
    Summit Stairs & Millwork
    11 years ago
    OK, I have seen plenty of these stairs. First things first, if you want to really make the stair going up from your entry door and space look a lot less "enclosed", cut out that entire wall on your upper floor that overlooks the stairs. You would then want to definately remove the iron rail you currently have and replace it along with the newly opened up wall overlooking the stair with wooden handrail, wood newels and landing tread stained to match your treads with the iron balusters of your color choice. The railing going to your lower area should also be replaced with wood rail to match. I do not think you would need a carpet runner after this modification it would make such a difference when you walk in the front door. We have done dozens of these and it REALLY makes it nice.
  • jeannemara
    11 years ago
    I agree with summit stairs and millwork, but I would put a runner on those stairs!