Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumsuma

HELP: Stair banister color/rails/spindles

Summer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I want to change the color of my stair rails and banister but I'm not sure which color direction to go. The walls are getting painted a beige/taupe color like the photo example below. If it were up to me I would put a brand new designed stair rail and banister but it doesn't fit into our budget. So I am going to DIY them by staining/painting. What do you think of colors that would look good with beige/tan walls and those tiles u see photographed. All advise is appreciated!

P.s. Those fans are getting removed and I am also going to paint the wood around that old fashioned looking mirror.

Photo 1: inspiration photo and is also the color wall paint in putting in the room and throughout the stair wall. What do you guys think? Would this work?

Photo 2: and below are all of the actual living room/dining room/ stair case

Comments (13)

• karielen
    8 years ago

What are you doing with the stairs?

• Summer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nothing. They are staying the way they are just getting new carpeting.

• Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

I'm assuming you are keeping the tile as well? And the carpeting will be similar in color to what is there now? I'd do something like this as your railing is not the standard railing, and a bit dated looking. White is too stark with your tile. Consider pulling a gray/taupe color for the spindles, but keep the tops and bottom woodwork as is. Something like this. If you aren't changing the dated looking spindles, embrace them and make them a focal point rather than trying to disguise them.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

someone recently had the same baluster style as you and painted them white with the railings black. it came out pretty good but you'll probably still want to replace them down the road when you can.

• Summer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CK HOFFMAN DESIGN- thank u! Can I ask if you think that color would clash with the tiles I have in there already? I am also planning on painting the walls a beige-tan color. What do you think?

• Janie Burton
    8 years ago
    Pick out your new wall color based off of the tile color. The tile appears to be a neutral brown which is good and you want your wall color to also be neutral. Be very careful not to choose a beige/taupe that has pink undertones. Pink undertones in floor tile, countertops and paint are undesirable and translate to dingy. I would use a neutral dark brown stain for the spindles and rails.
    Summer thanked Janie Burton
  • PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    8 years ago

Try Sherwin Williams' Barcelona Beige, it's one of my favorite GO TO colors. It goes with everything and would look lovely with your tile. For something different and a bit brighter - look at SW Lotus Pod - a beautiful, creamy Off White - also goes with everything. :) CH

Summer thanked CK Hoffman Design
  • PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    8 years ago

ALSO - based on your color scheme. I think that the rail in "Sealskin" would look terrific. It's a rich dark brown/black!

• Summer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay thank you. Can you help me identify if these colors have pink undertones? Behr's Lambskin BWC-22, pebble cream BWC-08, New Cream hdc-nt-17.

Undertones confuse me. I want to be sure these don't have pink in them.

• Summer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CK Hoffman- Thank you! I just realized you commented on a paint color suggestion. I will look into those. I appreciate it!

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    8 years ago

:) FYI - My painters don't like Behr Paint, they find it hard to work with. WE love Sherwin Williams: Harmony - in Eggshell - No VOC, also my all time favorite Duration Home. Great for high traffic areas. A bit more expensive, but covers really well. This is the paint I recommend for Do it Yourselfers - covers better and is very forgiving. CH

• Summer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! You have been a great help! I am much more confident about my wall color now. Do you have any suggestions on layout of furniture in this space? I was thinking of hiring someone to help with this room because I am having trouble figuring out where to place furniture and what kind to buy for the space. Any suggestions? I'm a first timer :-/