Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooke_olson

Huge room with tons of chinoiserie wallpaper HELP

Brooke Olson
11 years ago
Moving and love the scalamandre papers in my house, but don't want this room to look like something bad from the 90s. It was vacant and no draperies. So must start from scratch (but want to keep the chinoiserie style!)

Comments (21)

• Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And this huge brick fireplace. What to put up there?
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I just love your wallpaper. but i do not see that redbrick working with the wallpaper. I could see a nice large gilt mirror hung portrait wise to cover most of the brick
  • Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Kind of an L shape room. Approx 25 x 12 and 12 x 20 on the return side
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    ps love your windows too
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    Personally, If it my my house I wouldn't have drapes as the wallpaper is the standout feature of the room and you have lovely windows to show off/. if you need something for privacy I would go a plain off white Roman blind
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I would make sure my couch was a plain color, and have some pillows that pick up colors in the wallpaper. You need to keep things simple when you have such lovely, ornate wallpaper
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    That is really pretty wallpaper. Since the ceilings are so tall, maybe cutting down on some of the wallpaper? Maybe remove the wallpaper above 9' tall and do a moulding at that height and paint above? So, just below the balcony would be wallpaper, but anything above just white walls? White furniture and shiny, glossy accents pieces.
    Chinese Garden Stool | Wisteria · More Info
  • Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the idea of painting the ceiling (needs to be done anyway). Love the rug suggestion as well. Was also thinking of painting the cabinetry. But not too bold. Was thinking a muted green or putty/taupe and replacing the hardware. ???
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    That might be a safer alternative to red. The red brick will blend more with the darker cabinets. I would find a great big piece of art with a gilded frame for the fireplace.
  • Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My son is an artist so ill have him work on something for me and I'll have it framed!!! Thx. Then I can pick the size canvas. :-)
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    http://chinoiseriechic.blogspot.com.au/ this website might provide some ideas and inspiration
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/chinoiserie/p/270 Houzz has heaps of chinoiserie products
    I have just been looking and seen some cute red pagoda shaped birdcages:), some cute red mirrors, some cute red pagoda shaped light fittings., etc etc
  • transforme
    11 years ago
    I love the wallpaper and the built-in's . I would paint the entire fireplace the same colour as the trim. Then change the mantel to one a that's more rustic in the colour of the floor. (maybe an old chunky barn beam?) With all that white you will need something darker to ground the room.
    Heavy Metal framed tables or an old farmhouse slab table with linen upholstered chairs. Large art would look great above the mantel or a large framed mirror or a huge clock.
    Please post photos of your finished space what ever you decide to do with it.
  • rluchinski
    11 years ago
    What would happen if you left everything as is and painted your built-ins a deep (not bright) red?
  • PRO
    Cape Cod Home Staging Company
    11 years ago
    What about that cool balcony! Where the fiddlers would stand above the dancers. I would like upholstered pelmets in a coordinating print above the windows with natural slat blinds. What is behind the wet bar? Can the top cabinets come down and open to the next room? It looks a lot like a kitchen stuck near the French doors. Take your design elements out to that patio as well. If you pick up the blue or red in the paper, use them outside on cushion welting and accessories. See a previous post on painting/changing a similar fireplace. Have fun with this!
  • Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Can't take down the wet bar. This is the room behind. It's a circular room with yet more beautiful scalamandre paper!!!
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful house you bought!
  • Brooke Olson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! We are so excited and just want to get in it!

What do you think of these chairs? I have two of them, but mine are cane seats, not upholstered. Would they work in the room or could/should I paint them?
    http://houzz.com/photos/2251441
  • Karin Madgwick
    9 years ago
    They are beautiful!
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Post is year and a half old.