Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancysisk

Need help with my 1960's ranch home exterior paint colors!

nancysisk
11 years ago
We are replacing the roof and when we do that we want to paint the exterior of our drabby 1950's ranch. Here it is below...I despise our current colors! We are thinking about a dark roof but we don't know what we should do for the rest! The house is made of wood siding (the attic area), stucco (most of the exterior), and brick (the fireplace). We want to paint the shutters too! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Comments (18)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    Is the brick painted?
  • nancysisk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    yes it is all painted the same yucky brown :-(
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Picking the roof should be the first consideration. Depending on where you live, a dark roof might not be the more cost effective. Dark roofs absorb heat, so not good in a climate with lots of heat and humidity.

Here is an attractive combination:
    Downer's Grove Exterior Transformation · More Info
    and
    Downer's Grove Exterior Transformation · More Info
    It has two shades of sage, ivory trim and ivory painted brick, and a dark grey roof. This palette would look good with a medium tone brown roof or a lighter gray roof, too. I would use the darker sage on the shutters.

Also, if you go with a light grey roof a color scheme of Golden Straw on the body and gable ends, Powder Sand on the trim (including the front porch trim that is tan now), and Wrought Iron by Benjamin Moore would look fresh.
  • User
    11 years ago
    With a coordinating cream colour stucco
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    If you like blue, I found an exterior color recommended by Benjamin Moore called Normandy. I like it on the body, with gray (Gray Huskie) shutters and an pale gray (Early Morning Mist) trim. I would do the fireplace brick and the bricked area in the front in Early Morning Mist to highlight that area.
  • nancysisk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW! houssaon, i LOVE the downers grove exterior! both side neighbors and across the street neighbors have red brick ranch homes, i wonder if downer's would be a little too much? thoughts? i really love the color variation! i think my home would look like a brand new house too if it were painted with this palette, almost exactly the way downers is...a great example because my home really has similar features!!
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    I agree with Houssaon, start with the roof color...it's important for what you eventually will paint your house. Go with a gray roof if you like cooler colors, like blues, grays, whites and yellows...go with a brown roof if you like warmer colors like tans, creams and browns.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    Consider hiring a professional to create photo renderings of your home in new color schemes... For a tiny fraction of the reno cost, you can move forward with great peace of mind :)
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wow! houssaon's Downers Grove and Aja's trim would be a refreshing and beautiful change to your home. All the red brick neighbor's will be envious. If you are worried about your home not fitting in in your neighborhood after repainting, don't!
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    After painting, think about new, revitalized landscaping, too. :)
  • Mike Link
    10 years ago
    Here's the green you loved, and the blue that houssaon suggested. Personally, I like the green better...

... and well, if people get paid to do this, someone can hire me! I'd be more than happy :)
  • Mike Link
    10 years ago
    maybe do some hedge boxes:
  • PRO
    citrusquilts
    10 years ago
    Dark grey roof, grey exterior with black shutters. Look at houses in new England/cape cod. They have very classic colors. You don't want lots of color on the exterior..... go for something classic and elegant. Less is more!
  • PRO
    citrusquilts
    10 years ago
    Btw, I like the sage green also. Makes the house look very contemporary. Decide if you want classic or contemporary.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Soft warm colors with bright colorful flowers and a metal roof .
  • User
    10 years ago
    Go with a black roof and greige walls.
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Just found your post & the finished photo! Nice choice! What color are you painting the shutters? I'm kinda seeing a charcoal color...maybe a touch of it on the roof & porch trim too?