Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikas420

Gray kitchen backsplash - advise with wall colors

vikas420
11 years ago
We have a open floor plan with the kitchen flowing into the living room. The cabinets are white and kitchen backsplash has gray glass tiles as shown in pictures.

The flooring will be dark distressed wood throughout the space. We are not able to make up our mind on a color for the walls. The gray backsplash tends to be the eye catching portion of the space. We considered going with some matching gray shade for the walls but it seems to be making the already small area smaller and darker. We do not mind a color that is on the lighter side & contrasts the gray backsplash tiles in the kitchen. Please advise. Thanks !

Comments (40)

• mmilos
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Very nice! I'd keep it neutral with a warm light gray on the walls. Try Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Missed on adding , the island in the picture is granite (mostly white with shades of gray and cream).
  • christinesherriff
    11 years ago
    You probably don't want more grey. You could do a color that's still light and will make sense with the color scheme, but that adds a little bit of spice to the room. You might like one of these colors.
  • PRO
    Meddline_projects
    11 years ago
    Beautifull kitchen! =)

i think if you put the exhauster in black too, it will look perfect. on the floor you can put black & white big tilles like a chess...
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    How about gray wall color with a hint of lavendar? "Lavendar Mist"
    Chevy Chase Kids Bath · More Info
  • PRO
    Meddline_projects
    11 years ago
    I really like the color you have already on the walls! sorry i missed it, the wood floor would go perfect !!!
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    I agree with mmilos... Keep the walls a gray and add punches of color in art and accessories or add lots of crisp white accessories and keep the entire feel more monocramatic for a dramatic effect?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    How about a soft teal? For accessories, punch it up with colors of soft coral, yellow, bright blue grey, a red purple, Darzy's lavendar? Choose a couple of colors. What are other colors in the spaces nearby? What colors do you love?
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    Light silvery grey with wood floors. Oh your kitchen is beautiful! Nice job. I have some paint picks from Benjamin Moore for you; all are very light and bright.
    1. Revere Pewter HC-172 is the perfect light gray for your kitchen, a nice warm gray with some taupe/silvery light in it.
    2. Silver sage 506, a very Restoration Hardware looking light silvery sage.
    3. Perspective® CSP-5 it is the chameleon of grays, depending on the light and what it is near it can be light gray and faintly blue and smartly silver-white.
    4. Silver Satin 856 a very light gray really more a neutral white with tone (gray) in it. It is very pretty on, and looks like a nice clean shirt when paired with bright white trim.

All are very pretty and perfectly bright and toned or shaded to give you that WOW every time you walk into your kitchen.

Have a blast! and post after pics... I seriously love your kitchen. You get my vote for fav kitchen of 2013 so far! :D
  • fangprintz
    11 years ago
    You have a variation of my kitchen exactly-except I have high gloss, very modern, lacquered brown cabinets-and Corian counter tops with the matching backsplash in a grey metalflake-again in a super high gloss.
    I went with Ralph Lauren's line of REGENT METALLICS. My color was Silver Plate-I believe-and be forewarned...it is a difficult paint to work with! But it is absolutely the most fabulous paint on the walls that you can image.
    The metallic base allows a bit of reflection that alters the light, so there is never that flat-dull look to the walls. Gray can be very boring-this is the total opposite.
    I had a painting contractor that was Ralph Lauren certified-but his website does offer phone assistance with reliable and knowledgeable staff that will walk you through step by step should you chose to paint yourself.
    It is quite an undertaking, and I can promise you that it's a job perhaps best left to the pro's if you have quite a bit of wall space to paint.
    I opted to have the painter apply vertical finish strokes lengthwise-floor to ceiling-to mimic same color stripes. A subtle play on intensifying the metallic sheen, as I have a lot of natural light, and ample uncluttered wall space.
    The trick to working well with gray is to keep everything around it shiny, glossy and bright.
    I see you have done that already-the tiles are lovely-and I'm certain you feel refreshed in your kitchen when you are in it.
    I currently am using colors in the citrus family as accents-but I have recently done blue and of course the old stand by....black.
    But remember to keep it simple if you do chose to go with intense walls-I wish you happy decorating!
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks all ; we liked the BM Revere Pewter when we saw it today. We will move forward with this popular choice.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    A light grey or light tan color would look nice with the white cabinets and grey backsplash. This way the backsplash will still be a stunning eye catcher!
  • Kathleen McCarther
    11 years ago
    I love your back splash! Nice change from the white marble I have chosen.
  • Carol Keusch
    11 years ago
    I would use red accents to make it pop.
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    You did not say what color scheme is in the adjoining room. If you already have artwork and furniture, look at them for subltle collors that speak to you and make you feel at home. I think a nuetral with a yellow or green hue would be something to look at. you can then choose brighter accents for spice. If your accent peices are more in the black and white spectrum I would definately stay away from another gray, but that just me.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The adjoining room ( living area ) in the open area is all empty. This a new development.

Once the BM revere pewter is put on the walls , we r thinking of trying out some dark color furniture (may be dark gray) with artwork, pillows , rug and curtains etc in red, gray/beige tone to strike a dual combination of gray & red in the room.

We r cautiously optimistic with all of these because red could be such a make or break type of color. Hopefully , it pans out well in our open floor plan.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Maybe add some orange or yellow accents to the spaces.
  • jessicamaui
    11 years ago
    soft blue or turquoise will pop the grey color
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    With the BJ Moore paint you have chosen, this will be such a beautiful and sophisticated look!
    Red is my absolute favorite color and I don't think you can ever go wrong with red accent pieces. Of course here in Ohio (Go Bucks!), we see our share of red and gray rooms :)
  • mbear2119
    11 years ago
    So happy I came upon this pic of your kitchen. I think it is perfect! Please post more pictures as you progress with your design, especially once the walls are painted. Enjoy your lovely space!
  • PRO
    Jonathan Hress Design
    11 years ago
    It looks like there is a little golden beige in the countertops. Maybe a coffee color for the walls. I like very soft mossy greens with Grey and white. Nice choice of cabinets etc. Easy to change this room over time.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone.. The BM revere pewter is up on the walls, I will post more pictures very soon; so stay tuned.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some pictures of BM revere pewter after we put up the paint this weekend.
    The sunlight in the house was a little inconsistent when I took the pictures , so I apologize.

As you can see, the house is ready to furnish now. My better half is leaning to mix of red,white & gray for accents, couch, drapes , rug etc. Please free to share thoughts & suggestions.
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    The paint turned out wonderfully! I swear. That color is magic!
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    All I can say is WOW!!
    I am so jealous - I absolutely love how it turned out. Thanks for posting :)
  • Lana
    11 years ago
    I love what you have done here! It looks beautiful, please post a picture when it is all complete
  • mbear2119
    11 years ago
    Great choice! It looks fantastic! Don't forget to post pics when you are finished with decor. I can't wait to see it.
  • mbear2119
    11 years ago
    Just one question - Did you change your mind about the dark wood floors? The floors appear shiny and finished in your picture.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    Looks great! But, I would have done the wood floors to warm up the space.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wood flooring is scheduled to install by end of this month. We are going with maple wood ( hand scraped). Picture of the wood Sample is attached
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    ^ That'll make it look very rich! Great choice and taste.
  • PRO
    Amplio
    11 years ago
    I would go more coral instead of red.
  • PRO
    Jonathan Hress Design
    11 years ago
    I have a red, grey black and white kitchen. I would suggest mixing traditional and contemporary decor. Can look cold if too modern. I think your choice of a darker wood floor will warm the space and be excellent for many styles. You may need a few printed fabrics or a fun rug. All solids can be uninspired.
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    Great job, that paint is amazing in your space. Your floors are going to be so nice looking also.Definitely gets my vote for favorite kitchen 2013!

As far as color and the rest of the home since you have such a nice flexible neutral you really can go any direction.

Have fun! Beautiful job.
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback. It is helping us immensely in the process which at certain times can be quite overwhelming for rookie first time home buyers trying to work thru gazillion possibilities in trying to make the dream home.

Feel free to drop suggestions & pictures ( if any) based on your visualization of the decor potential in this space and we promise of giving a serious thought to each of your input. ~ cheers
  • mbear2119
    11 years ago
    Any progress? Would love to see any updates .
  • mollywax1
    9 years ago
    What is the backsplash? It's gorgeous!
  • messier01
    9 years ago
    Agreed. Gorgeous kitchen, what is the tile?
  • vikas420
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Backsplash is subway tile