Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_kelly86

Updating ugly front strata properties

Mary Kelly
8 years ago
Our unit is one of eight, single level properties on a strata title block. Lots of red brick, concrete, driveways and poor architecture. Owners don't have large sinking fund to upgrade . Any thoughts on cost effective options to make it more attractive and appealing ?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    8 years ago

Hi Mary,

A consistent approach to the landscaping and its maintenance would go a long way to improve the appearance of these units.

They also need a bit of individual identity.

Maybe a large, different coloured pot, centred in each of those Entry garden beds, with white rocks around (less gardening to care for) would tie them together but also be unique to each - and everyone can choose their own colour - within a consistent range offered.

It would be great if this pot colour could then be tied in somewhere else too - maybe paint the front door? New door mats would also be more welcoming.

The driveway can be power washed and it would come up like new.

If there is more money in the pot, then there are a number of other things you can do as well.

Good luck - I know it is very difficult to get agreement by all.

Michelle

• susan_66
    8 years ago

Are you asking just about making your unit look more inviting, or all of them? I took it to mean just the one unit pictured . . .

So, for the garden bed, something big with plenty of leaves and, ideally, spectacular flowers. I'd recommend maybe a strelitzia (bird of paradise) or canna lily. Currently you have have low maintenance mother-in-law's tongue and a yukka - just too small and spindly for the space. A bird of paradise thrives on neglect . . . for way more impact/distraction value . . .

In front of the other window, a whacking great pot with a 'pleached' tree in it. These trees have a trellis with them and grow sideways. Pleaching is mostly done with fruit trees, so you get the added bonus of fruit! . Or consider a couple of 'Teddy Bear' magnolias in two pots - this Houzz story shows both pleaching and magnolias in narrow spots

https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/block-out-thy-neighbour-privacy-plants-for-the-modern-home-stsetivw-vs~41847280

Now, when you've coming from the garage to the front door (with
    shopping), you are going to have step around in front of this (or have
    it placed forward so you can step behind). It will be a bit more
    awkward, but will mask most of that side of the front door. Or are you able to turn that dead lawn bed into a garden bed and plant directly into it? If so, I'd still go with either of these options.

Now, smaller plants are much cheaper to buy, but I'd buy the biggest plants you can afford, for the most effect right away . . .

• deanli14
    8 years ago

Hi Mary, it looks as though not alot of love goes into existing maintenance so before spending any money it would be a good idea to assess whether that is going to change after any upgrades. Are you all owner occupiers? Tenants? If it's mainly you who wants to change your own unit presentation, then focus your ideas and love into that. Units as a whole could be spruced up with more modern paint colour on gutters, downpipes and fascias eg grey. I like Michelle from Colour Confidence Interiors ideas too. Good luck with it all

• mcmckelly
    8 years ago
    Thankyou all - yes it's a mixture of owner occupiers and tenants
    They are saying to redo the driveway ( at present they plan concrete but not sure that is best option ? any thoughts ? ) I think the plan is to take out the extra grass squares as they are just used for parking .
    We will concentrate on our unit and check any strata rules re colours and see if we can get some impact with pot and better plants , plus paint job
  • deanli14
    8 years ago
    Hi Mary, thanks for the extra info. I can't tell from photos that the driveway actually needs re laying. No big cracks etc. If it's for aesthetic reasons then power wash will clean it up. Reconcreting or repaving the whole driveway for aesthetics only will be expensive and I don't know that you will get bang for your buck. Indeed paving gets torn up more readily than concrete and needs more maintenance. Concreting in those dirt patches would indeed make it look less scruffy. (I'm not a concrete salesman!) New trim colors and big bright pots would neaten up and modernize the whole look. Best of luck.