Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilee_lenon

Is 57% polyester with 43% acrylic a good blend for sofa fabric? The middle fabric in pic

Marilee Zafra
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I'm struggling on what type of fabric to get put on the sofa I like. I have a little 20lb dog that does not shed but is always on the sofa as well as there are four adults that currently live in the house and will be using the sofa all the time. I just want something that won't wear too easily and fairly easy to clean.
If this is not a good blend, what would you recommend? 100% polyester? etc... Thank you

Comments (32)

• Marilee Zafra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you @ModaScapes I live in Las Vegas,NV so I really appreciate u pointing out that 100% polyester is hot to sit on. I was told Polyester was good so all the fabric I've been looking at has been 100% but I liked this particular grayish color fabric but questioned it since it was a blend. They said it was 15000 double rubs. Do u suggest I find something with a higher double rubs rating? I just want to get my moneys worth since I am splurging more than I had planned since I liked the shape of the sofa & chair in the 2nd pic. Please let me know. Thank u
  • PRO
    ModaScapes Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Polyester is great... just not in warmer climates. Acrylic is what most outdoor and commercial fabrics are predominately, so it's a perfect blend for stain and fade resistance and durability. It's definitely good looking! What brand are the pieces?
  • Marilee Zafra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    @ModaScapes Given the small space I have, would u say the color of the sofa in the 2nd pic (brownish) or the fabric swatch (grayish) would best suit the space? I just want the space to seem as spacious as possible since my current furniture is bulky & dark (3rd pic) or should I worry more on 15000 rubs vs 57000. I'll be using turquoise & green as my accent colors
  • Marilee Zafra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lazar Industries Clarice Set
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Always look for 100% Polyester. It is the possible best for highly durable upholstery.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    In looking at your floor color and wall color, the gray will blend better, creating a more spacious feel. The more contrast with the floors and walls, the larger the furniture will feel, which is why your big brown bears seem to eat the space. ;-) Would love to see some fabric on your windows for color and pattern.
  • Marilee Zafra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Is the crypton protection plan worth spending on for this blend fabric?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Little known secret about fabric- most of it is coated with a protective something or other before they ship it to the furniture people. If the plan covers replacement for wear or cleaning any kind of stains in the home, than usually you will get your money's worth with four adults and a puppy.
  • Marilee Zafra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ModaScapes - WOW u are such a huge help, if only you were here in Vegas. I really appreciate all your advice. I actually went back to the store and they were showing me other fabrics to add to my indecisiveness haha... a beautiful looking fabric but it's a 95% polyester 5%vicose blend? and it didn't list down a number of rubs
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you Marilee! I do speak "desert living", which has some real caveats (heat and dust) that most other states don't have. No one wants to sweat on their sofa, especially since we are in shorts most of the time.

What was wrong with the first fabric you posted? That fits the bill from what you told me about it. And it seemed to be a great color for your space. By the way, I do come to Vegas at least once a year for the furniture show, so maybe it'll work out one day. ;-)
  • alice1998
    10 years ago
    I wonder if a 63% rayon 37% polyester blend is a good idea for a high-use sofa? The swatch I have is a little rough to the touch, but it's beautiful and so far the only one I've found that I really like.....
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Alice- You have to careful of some fabrics that contain more than half Rayon. While it is the ingredient that gives your fabric luster, it will tend to "polish" over time. So the more you get in and out of your sofa, the contact points of that rub can appear to be shiny over time. I don't know how long that time is or what the magic percentage number that is below polishing, but I have selected fabrics with high Rayon and my local furniture manufacturer has made me sign off on a disclaimer to not come back and complain to them. Thought I'd share- Good luck!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Modascapes, thanks for all the furniture fabric info...most helpful.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    With that much polyester it should do well. Check the if there is anything about the abrasion noted on the fabric. the higher the double rub number the better.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks edithsmom! Well, it's easy to pick a color or texture that you like and looks good in the space... but then you have a couple of movies marathons one weekend and realize that your sofa makes you sweat. They don't talk about fiber content enough when selecting, which turns out to be the only thing that matters the longest-wear and comfort.
  • suedaisy123
    10 years ago
    I need a new slipcover for a much used oversized club chair. It currently is covered in a linen and I love the look but it did not wear well. I am considering a 100% polyester linen with 50,000 double rub. We live in Charlotte, NC. Will this fabric wear well, resist water stains, and not be too hot?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Sue- is it polyester or linen? There's no such thing as polyester linen, so I'm guessing the actual content is probably poly and they were being clever with the name. 100% polyester doesn't breath, so it's warm on your tush, but nothing sticks to it. Think about clothes that you own and which ones are notoriously hot and check out their label. A blend will be a lot more comfortable, but might be hard to find in a slip cover.
  • suedaisy123
    10 years ago
    thank you for your comments. the fabric is 100% polyester but has a linen look. my one concern is that it may be hot like you said. however, I have to balance that with the fact it is the must sat in chair in the family room -- often sat in by my children eating food! It is worth the gamble? thanks!
  • PRO
    INTERIORS BY MARLA
    10 years ago
    Sue...why not look into some indoor outdoor fabrics for the slipcover? it simply will not hold a stain...if it does you just rub a bit of bleach and water on it. The color will not come out! there are some that actually have a linen like weave. 100% acrylic is the best.
  • tjrp19999
    9 years ago
    Hello...
    I am considering purchasing an Andre Sofa from a very reputable furniture retailer/manufacturer - Triad fabric, 78% poly, 22% acry. The Triad fabric option is softer than the fabric the sofa normally comes in, which is 100% poly and too scratchy. After hearing your take on 100% poly hotness (in warmer climates?) I'm not a fan of 100% poly.. (have also researched some negatives of 100% poly).
    I'd like to go with it. I live in northern IL and appreciate your take on the fabric content. It will be a fabric upgrade from stock options and need some expert advice before I put up some $$. Thanks, and have a good one.
  • tjrp19999
    9 years ago
    Me again....tjrp19999,

just a comment....Wish I could afford "Green" furniture but the prices are outrageous for anything I've seen online that looks really good. I don't really feel good about polys/acrylic/rayon, etc. but after searching I don't know what else to do to get a quality sofa that will hold up in different urgent categories. Thanks again.
  • jeanennemorphis
    9 years ago
    I just ordered two sofas and two swivel rockers, different companies.. I have always struggled with fabrics. I find a piece I love and then can't find fabric that I can get excited about This time I was shopping a sale and found a fabric first and decided the style of the sofa would be second. This was a medium price point company so not breaking the bank. What I really love is the texture. Brown, taupe and cream slub weed. I haven't found anything I like better.. It is 65 acrylic, 20 poly and 15 cotton. It has a HHH rating for durability. So it should be good with my two small dogs and cat. I also ordered two chairs from CR Laine in a beautiful creamy taupe Sunbrella fabric. I passed right over it thinking it was for outdoors when my girlfriend grabbed it. 100 percent acrylic. In the case of the chairs, I picked the chairs first and then looked for a simple solid and am pretty jazzed about the Sunbrella. The chairs will be in front of a large window so I need that kind of durability. I looked at Pottery Barn's performance fabric, which were 100 percent poly and it is nice but I want a color blend. The acrylic Sunbrella is so nice for a solid. Anyway, you might try looking at fabrics first and then find the sofa after you've narrowed it down. I got tired of buying furniture with fabric I didn't love.
  • coops73
    9 years ago
    We are trying to compare two fabrics that have the same wear and cleaning grades per the manufacturer (King Hickory). One is a 60% acrylic, 23% poly and 17% cotton blend. The other is 89% poly and 11% cotton. The first one seems a bit thicker, but you can't see through either in the light (as suggested to do in this chain). Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • jeanennemorphis
    9 years ago
    We got our Sunbrella chairs and I love the fabric. Soft, and beautiful. I'm still waiting on the sofas so will let you know. Feel is so important to me. I want something that feels nice. My concern with a high poly content is does it breath? Is it soft enough? I know the acrylic has a wonderful feel. The higher quality ones are amazing. I read that cheaper acrylic will pill so I would be careful about durability and check the rub rating.
  • jeanennemorphis
    9 years ago
    We got our sofas and I'm disappointed in the fabric. It is not nearly as nubby as the sample was. They are going to get a swatch from another bolt and possibly remade but I am doubting it will be different. I sure would order a new swatch from the mfg before ordering again. They vary so much. It seems stiffer. I am seeing some lumps on the the back cushions but this is a looser style sofa so not sure. The taught bottom cushions look great. As does the rest of the sofa. Just not as nubby or wooly as the sample that I feel in love with. Ugh.
  • jeanreidy
    8 years ago

Hi all. I'm considering a Kravetsmart Nanotex 67% Rayon, 28% Polyester, 5% Cotton in a medium/dark blue/green with 50,000 Double Rubs for my sectional. When I hold it up to light, I can see dots of light coming through. Between the Rayon and the dots of light, is this a mistake for heavy use? I also have a question about Sunbrella fabrics. Do they stretch and get saggy? I've heard that you have to be careful because not all Sunbrellas are created equal - as in the quality is unreliable from bolt to bolt.

• kyslhart
    7 years ago

I am buying an Ethan Allen couch and trying to decide between fabrics-100% polyester or 100% Sunbrella acrylic.

• scoleenp
    7 years ago

Hello,

I am looking at a sectional that is made of 50% Polyurethane and 40% Polyester and 10% Cotton. Can you tell me if that is a durable fabric blend? I have a couple of grandchildren and a couple dogs that enjoy the furniture along with us. I love leather but really can't afford a sectional and currently have a faux leather couch that started to "peel" and looks awful so don't want to risk the faux leather again...thanks!!!

• Rosena Sidelien
    6 years ago
    info
  • Joy Olmsted
    6 years ago

Can anyone tell me if a fabric that's 69% Polypropylene, 31% Polyester is good and durable for a high traffic sofa.

• Irene Kucala
    3 years ago

I am looking at a flexsteel recliner and fabric blend is 60% polyester, 29% cotton and 11% olefin. Would this be good for Illinois temperature and high use?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County