Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimgamel

Need color advice on tile grout in kitchen

Kim Gamel
11 years ago
I'm putting in a white subway tile back splash as a complement to my silestone tan/white/blue/gray countertops (see photo) I had planned on regular white grout but I keep seeing colored grout w/ subway tiles. I'm wondering -- is this a fad? I kind of like the idea of it to make it look more modern, but don't want it to look dated in a few years. I also don't want it too busy next to the bold counter tops. The cabinets are white. Thoughts???

Comments (95)

• Erin
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think based on all of the responses that you can do whatever you want! It seems to be a totally personal preference. I think it depends on the look you want. Go with your gut!
  • PRO
    GreenThumb Gardens
    11 years ago
    In a bath or kitchen It is not a good idea to use pure white grout unless you are a serious neatnick and want to scrub your grout lines. I used white subway with a thin to very thin grout line and a grey white grout in our kids bathroom. In a 1920s house, i wanted to honor the old house with some new touches. I did not buy an expensive custom color, rather, I experimented with mixes until finding one that dried the color I wanted. i ended up with 1 part grey to three parts white. It looks great..
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @jschmoll: The photo you posted saying it was "biscuit" tile with "antique white" grount -- it looks the other way around to me -- white tile with tan grout, no? I like the look of it and would like to know what you mean by biscuit tile. I also like GreenThumb Gardens photo of the very light gray. I think that would look nice as well. Thank you!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I'm pretty sure jschmoll is describing her tile and grout colors accurately, Kim, as we have a similar configuration and her tiles do not look like a pure white. With our ivory cabinets we put in matching "bone" subway tile (a similar color to biscuit) with "alabaster" grout that was just one shade darker than the tile (those were the official color names, BTW). This is the effect:
    Our kitchen renovation · More Info
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Feeny: thank you! It does look white on my monitor but I'll look around town to see if I can find an off-white tile. This looks nice and subtle.

BTW I originally liked an ivory travertine that looked beautiful with the silestone, however it made my white cabinetry look cheap. That's why I've gone in the subway tile direction. Tile guy is coming tomorrow so I need to make a decision STAT!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I think you should either match the subway tile to the shade of white in the cabinets or to one of the light to medium colors in your granite. The latter might be more fun and striking (but in a simple subway tile won't compete with the granite's pattern); the former will make your backsplash disappear more into the visual field of the cabinetry.
  • victoria323
    11 years ago
    My counter is very similar (Silestone) and I have white Mexican tiles with matching grout. It looks fabulous! I wanted a very light backsplash so it would reflect the under-cabinet lights well, and also be a pretty neutral. Received abundant compliments!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    Biscuit is a kohler color - a creamy off-white. Bone is the same color at DAL and AmStandard.

I know this silestone color well and I think the white is OK - as long as it more or less matches your cabinets - since there are white flecks in the counter.

That's why I suggested the Sahara Tan - which pretty closely matches the tan in the counter. That ties the two together. I think that would look much better than the grey - there's not much grey in the counter. You need something warmer.

If the tan is too much contrast - try Linen. When I sold tile and grout I found that Linen worked with pretty much everything.

These are both CBP colors sold at any Home Depot.

Turquoise won't work - 1 - the blue in the counter is more cobalt and 2 - just try to find turquoise grout anywhere. (I've tried recently - pretty much impossible unless you spend $90/small tub of reflective "diamond" grout.)
  • jschmoll
    11 years ago
    @Kim Gamel, my tiles are american olean bright biscuit
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Too: I'm at a tile store now. They don't have "Sahara tan" but they have a grout called "dessert sand" -- think that's imilar? Also do bone colored tiles go w/ white cabinets????
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry that was for "Rio" not too...here's is what I'm now thinking...a white matte tile (not quite as stark a contrast as the glossy) with an antique white grout -- see photo. I do really like the bone tile but don't think I'd like it w/ my white cabinetry and that's not changing. Thx all!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    desert sand is probably pretty close. get what YOU like.

If you like glossy tile go for it - don't let someone on houzz tell you that something you like is wrong.

Personally, I would go a little darker and warmer on the grout - but that's me.
    I always say "When in doubt - go Linen."

But it's your house. Antique white will work just fine. If that's what you like best - go for it.
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Unfortunately there's no "linen" which is why I thought antique white. There is "ivory" but it seems on the yellow side. Matte does seem to look better w/ cabinets than white. Thx again!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    The colors I mentioned are Custom Building Products grout, which is available at Home Depot.

But as I said - the antique white is fine. Good luck!
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Antique White grout is always a good fail safe. I've used it many times for my own applications as well as for clients...
  • PRO
    Unique & Chic Interiors
    11 years ago
    You've already gotten some great ideas...might I add mine? I think instead of the all white subway tile you would use a combination of white, tan & grey. have them laid randomly so the three colors are scattered. This will add a little drama to the kitchen and it will not be as stark as the all white with the multi colored granite. I would then select one of the colors, may be the tan and paint an accent wall, just one to pull it all together. I do love the idea of add shelving over the sink, just keep it narrow. Then you could add some interesting fun things on the shelfs, i.e. cookbooks, vase, something with lots of color. To answer your first question if you do it with the three color tiles I would us Custom Bulding Products #10 Antique White. If you keep the all white tile choose a while grout. Colored grout is just a fad and it will date your new kitchen faster than anything. Hope this helps. Have fun!
    Darla Blake, ASID, CID
    Unique & Chic Interiors
  • cook492
    11 years ago
    White grout will keep your look timeless
    I agree that your beautiful counter material will draw the eye
    backsplashes are easy to keep clean
    keep the grout joints small. Use smooth epoxy grout
    Do not use sanded grout ~
    I've learned that, the hard way .....after redoing 3 kitchens
    now, working on designing a 4th .....
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    I disagree that colored grout with white tiles is a fad. If the grout color is neutral, not high contrast and ties in with the surrounding surfaces, it won't look dated.
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    11 years ago
    Since your cabinets are white I would go white tile and grout. You do not want to draw the eye to a different colored grout because then you see all these lines. Let your counter top be the jewelry and your back splash blend.
  • bigplanet747
    11 years ago
    White on white - BORING! Subway tile can be so interesting and simple at the same time - if you do it right. Use contrasting grout to make your kitchen a little different than your neighbor's generic look. I think the contrast can be so beautiful and just unique enough looking to really make your kitchen look new and fresh. If you are concerned with it being trendy, which I don't think it is - just remember it is very easy to regrout tile. Chances are in a few years you will be regrouting regardless - that's how it is with tile. Enjoy your kitchen and remember to make it your own!
  • PRO
    REFRESH . . . DESIGN
    11 years ago
    I think that white grout is your best option for a timeless look. Colored grout will give you a grid pattern that will busy the look of your multicolored silestone. When you have spent good money on a counter top that you love, that should be the focal point, expeciall in a small area.
  • matthud
    11 years ago
    I've just tiled my kitchen splash backs with the same tiles - it depends if you are doing it yourself or getting a pro in to do it. Found out the hard way that although dark grout looks amazing against the white tiles it shows up EVERY imperfection, no matter how small. Ended up grinding out the black grout and starting again with white! Grrrrr!
  • cook492
    11 years ago
    I did a kitchen once in white tile and wanted navy blue grout as the accent color. The finished project looked like a checker board ! Luckily, the cabinets were white and I used navy as an accent color around the house to balance. I was able to get used to what I had done. The next kitchen, I used white grout !
  • PRO
    Kim Gamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sooooo.... I chickened out and went w/ the antique white grout w/ the white tile. We did a test of the "bone" which actually looked quit a bit darker than I thought it would. I just couldn't do it so I'm letting the tiles fade into the background and letting the countertop shine. This is a pic w/ my phone so not the greatest quality but I love how it totally brightens up the room. Thank you all for your input! It was much appreciated!!!
  • cook492
    11 years ago
    Oh wow, it looks great ! enjoy ! Thanks for sharing :)
  • pamzella
    11 years ago
    I'd not limit yourself to what you can find in color at Home Depot. Go to a tile store, the smaller variation in just warmer than white-white grouts can be significant in your kitchen and you aren't even likely to pay more than 10 if using regular non-sanded grout. I'd certainly prefer epoxy and someone you hire to do it for you, it will be more expensive but has some durability that regular grout can't match. If you want your countertop to stand out, don't have the tiles/grout compete with it. A grout just a tad warmer/darker (not by HD colors but a tile store) will look uniform when you step back. The darker the color the more the outline of the tile pattern will stand out, you have to decide if that's what you want, but I think I vote with the other posters that say it might draw attention from your countertop and add to a "busy" feel.
  • Kimb
    11 years ago
    We just installed biscuit color we found
    from lowes. We used the epoxy grout in mushroom so there is a gentle tan it is subtle and not as bright shiny looking with a little color.
  • PRO
    Renaissance Kitchen and Home
    11 years ago
    Great job, well done!

Torry Manzo
    Renaissance Kitchen and Home
  • Jane Gray
    11 years ago
    Kim, I am not a professional decorator, nor do I play one on TV, but I still wanted to throw in my two cents. I think you did exactly the right thing! Let the counter shine! We cannot choose to allow every surface in our kitchens to be the focus and your counter tops are beautiful. I just had a similar dilemma and, through the advice of a decorator on Houzz, I was encouraged to decide just what I wanted the focus to be. My choice was my counter tops as well. I then chose to use biscuit subway tile and matching grout for the backsplash so it would look classy, but fade into the background. I love my kitchen and I know you will yours, too! Good work!
  • bigplanet747
    11 years ago
    Pedalva - that sounds so pretty. Could you post a picture of your kitchen?
  • Jane Gray
    11 years ago
    I will do my best! I don't have any professional pics, but here are a couple that will give you an idea. We have hickory cabinets with a natural finish, soapstone countertops and custom sink, and subway tile. You will notice the tile over the stove is set in a vertical pattern, while the tile across the room is horizontal. Disclaimer: I have not decided what I am going to do with the walls on either side of the range hood!
  • cook492
    11 years ago
    Nice work, I'd love to hear how you like the soapstone material.
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Well, you sure got enough different opinions.--- I also find the difference in value between the white subway tile and the very colorful countertop pretty stark. My idea to remedy this is to pick out one of the lighter colors in the counter top as grout color. This will pull the two opposites a bit more together. It would also help to know the color of the cabinets. The grout color has to be a pleasant compliment to the cabinets also.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Oh - I am just reading that the cabinets are white. So, just pick one of the colors out of the countertop.
  • Jane Gray
    11 years ago
    Cook492, we absolutely love the soapstone. We replaced some rather dated granite tile and are very happy. Highly recommend it!
  • bigplanet747
    11 years ago
    pedalva, LOVE your kitchen. You had not mentioned the hickory cabinets - very nice combo of everything!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like soapstone too. But people need to know that it is very soft. It gets marks, dents, spots etc. But it ages gracefully and gets a kind of patina that comes with wear. It's lovely.
  • Ken Sturmer
    11 years ago
    I agree with Matthub. I just did my kitchen as well, with white mini subway tile. I couldn't decide whether to go with off white or bright white grout. I started with the off-white only to realize my tiling job did not look professional. Some tiles were just the slightest bit off line. The off white really made the mistakes stand out. I finished the job with white, and am so glad I did.
  • Jane Gray
    11 years ago
    Helga, you are right, soapstone is soft, but it is also so very forgiving. I keep a piece of 220 grit sandpaper handy to sand out the scratches I just cannot stand (very few!), then I also keep a linseed oil soaked rag in a plastic bag for those little touch ups. Scratches and marks disappear in a second. I think it is much easier to keep than granite.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Pedalva, good idea to have sandpaper on hand!
  • Cindy Quinton
    11 years ago
    Someone said that they thought they had seen dark grout in much older bathrooms (100 years) is because you have; originally, all tile was put in with cement/grout because that was the only option. So, medium gray grout and tile is historically correct.

Also, Just wanted to add on the recent granite vs. other stuff conversation, I think my granite is very easy care. I use a product by Rock Doctor, the polish. And it shines for weeks after a wipe down. The biggest caveat for granite is that it is so hard and slick that a slight bump sends glassware sliding to its doom. I'm guessing soapstone is slightly more forgiving.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    9 years ago
    All about grouts:
    Epoxy vs. Standard Grouts:
    If your worried about staining and regular maintenance, or wanting a more durable product to standard grouts, You can opt to upgrade an epoxy grout. This requires a qualified tiler to install, it's more expensive, and your tiler may charge a upcharge to install - because they have to work very quickly to get it installed correctly.

For those areas where heavy use, heavy greases or oils are constantly used, or kitchen backsplashes where your not keen on cleaning every day - go with the epoxy - it is well
    worth the extra dollars for the durability.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/epoxy-vs-cement-grout-whats-the-difference-stsetivw-vs~15323992
  • erwinms
    9 years ago
    Just gonna throw my 2 cents worth in here, even though the post is over a year old. Nicole Curtis, the Rehab Addict says that gray grout is appropriate with white subway tile if you are rehabbing, or want the "old timey" look. At the turn of the century, they didn't have grout, and so used cement to grout tiles. I think it's all a matter of personal preference. We will be using a light gray grout with our bathroom floor, tub surround and back splash. And don't believe everything that a decorator tells you -- do what YOU like, and you will be happy in YOUR space!!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Erwinms, A good designer/decorator will always listen to what our clients want/love. Essentially, my clients depend upon my expertise and "voice of reason" to enhance and add value to their home. If your never going to sell your home then grout your tile with fluorescent pink grout for all I care - but I find that by changing the colour of the grout from the main colour of the tile brings attention to it - why would you want to do that? Normally, the tile is the most expensive item that I want to enhance - NOT the colour of the grout. At the end of the day, if it enhances the look, requires little maintenance, is within budget and makes my client happy - then - my job is done.
    Good luck with your next project, and good luck with your next encounter with an interior decorator/designer!
  • PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    9 years ago
    I always tell my clients to chose what they like and not to worry if it is "timeless" as design trends come and go...such as wallpaper and brass plumbing. These two finishes were both popular, went out of style and now are back. I think that you made the right choice for the aesthetics of your kitchen. Gray grout can look great with white tile, but it also depends on the other finishes in the space and the overall look that you are wanting to create.
  • PRO
    Kelsey Nolan
    9 years ago
    Bone Mapei brand unsanded
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    This is from 2 years ago.

Houzz has a key word generator that pulls up old threads based on what you're reading. They're displayed on the right hand side of the page so if you click on them, check the date as most are dead and buried.
  • dgurba
    7 years ago
    I'm using royal cream subway tile. Pretty much matches my cotton cabinets. My countertop is Alpine white (some say it looks like Delicatus white). Having tough time figuring out very neutral grout. Any suggestions?
  • Michael RS
    5 years ago

This is so 2013. Well, this weirdly showed up on the right side and I checked the original post haha

• Rio Brewster
    5 years ago

I really wish Houzz would tweak that algorithm to show more recent posts in the sidebar. It doesn't do anyone any good to get suggestions for projects that are long completed. And I'm sure the "what grout color do I use with white subway tile?" question comes up at least twice a week.