Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbhwatkins

kitchen design for a new structure.

hbhwatkins
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We are building a new home--square log with chinking. The theme of course will be rustic but I do NOT want all log walls, just too much wood for me. I plan on mixing woods and staining and some sheet rock and stone. I want to incorporate some modern features and touches throughout the home. I plan to do concrete floors throughout, just to give you a little background about the project. It will be open floor plan with vaulted ceiling. It is a two level structure. The issue is the kitchen, mudroom, gallery, laundry room area, pantry area. I want the most fuctional areas with the space I have of course. I know I want a custom island and the original plan calls for a fireplace in the kitchen which I am thinking I will just use that space for my range--use thestone for my vent so I can still have the fireplace upstairs. I need advice of how to utilize the space I have for incorporating KITCHEN, MUDROOM, LAUNDRY, PANTRY. I am attaching the original floor plan but we have changed lots on it.(But just for you to see where the windows etc are) And two other sketches, I just feel there is some other options I am missing. I am very visual and I am not sure there is enough walk space and counter space in the one with the walk in island? What are the advantages of a walk in island? I would like to have space on the island for 4 bar stools. Please help!!! I need your expertise. Oh, and not sure the computer desk in that last sketch needs to be in the kitchen--not sure where that came from. I am attaching the last one only for the other option of mudroom/gallery. I want to keep the entry from the outside through the four seasons room all glass as it shows on the last plan. Thanks in advance. I have deadlines and I am overwhelmed when I look at pictures as I don't know what will work in my space and I am running out of time. I need some guidance.

Comments (122)

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Something more technical than this rough layout would not be difficult to make from here. But we just need more information.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what kind of flooring you will be looking at?
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are doing all concrete floors with radiant heat
    I made a new ideabook called "Top Picks" That is the lay out I was referring to
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Right on the info --So I need to look at range size correct? And drop lighting I plan to have --but of course would love some under cabinets as well
    I do think I would like a prep sink in the other island--If we happen to move the sink to the outside wall near the range then I would want a prep sink in the work island and not in the seating bar.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Yes, there is a corner wall cabinet. I do see the bay window picture. Narrowing down the actual sizes will come next, then can determine if the sink can go there if you prefer. I do think it's in a good place now. If it were moved, would you want the dishwasher near the prep sink or near the main sink? That might take out the corner cabinets and all the cabinets to the bench.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Stained concrete is awesome.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Agreed on the sinks.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Do you have a sink? Will you be using a farmer's sink? or maybe a custom made stone sink?
    One long bay or two bays? Hammered copper in the bar sink?
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    Hope it all works out!
    We own a couple of Pan-abode homes and understand the issues associated.
    With respect to your wiring - may I suggest talking to your electrician about putting extra wiring in conduits in various locations, to provide ease of reworking or adding extra circuits for lighting, office needs or kitchen appliances in the future. Also leave space in the panel or have a sub.
    Running additional wiring in a log home later on is a monstrous headache!
    But there are lots of joys associated with owning a log home, and I wish you much success in the next few days and weeks!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    A link to chandeliers over rustic tables:

http://www.houzz.com/chandelier-over-rustic-table
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    @mveasey--Good points.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have looked at a farm sink --I don't think a stone sink -- and I do like the hammered copper but I wouldn't want my main sink copper so might be good choice for the prep sink
    On the bays--I haven't even thought of that--opinion?
    I am used to having a trash compactor--I hate the thought of taking more cabinet space --but really want one
    I am giving up two stove tops in my house now, I would like to have two ovens--or at least I think i would --and I do have to have a microwave somewhere
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Is putting in a bay on option that you wanted? Yes to the appliances. There isn't a huge amount of cabinets in and around the main work area.

Regarding the refrigerator--Subzero makes a model that is ALL refrigerator that is slimmer and also a matching model for the freezer that is also slimmer. I'm wondering about putting the freezer in the pantry, leaving you more room for cabinets/window.

Selecting all your appliances is really critical to the final stage of design.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you mveasey We have a log cabin now--and we love it --and yes wiring in not easy--we learned some when building it --but building it was not near the stress this one has been thus far. I think maybe because it was just that a "cabin".
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ok I lost you on the bay comment. I was referring to bays in the sink. Were you thinking bay window? No to the bay window I had to work hard to get an alcove in the bathroom for tub--my husband is concerned with making sure the walls are all guttered efficently so there will be no problems with moisture. So I would never convince him of more "lines" to gutter
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Regarding faucets--You will need one that can go through 1 1/4 inches). Some come with adapters to get through the width but some don't (the ones you get at Lowe's for instance). Maybe that's changed since I've been out of the business and since so many people go with stone rather than laminate now. But, best to check. It's best to order them through a plumber or even your custom cabinet maker might have access to it, if he/she has a showroom. I used to sell plumbing supplies with my custom cabinets--so your cabinet maker might. Big box stores order large enough orders that they can demand their own specifications--finishes that aren't as tough, porcelain that is thinner and chips easier and faucets without ceramic washers....etc. Same brand but different specs. Look for faucets with ceramic washers and get them through a specialty supplier.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Oh right...bays in the sink. I love the one large bay but I have a Franke stainless 3 bay and I love it. It just depends on what you like. I also love the look of bumping out a farmers sink, which I don't think would look good if you bumped out the range in the same run of cabinets.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh my goodnes so much to think about --and so glad you know so much. Been awhile since I have built (except for the cabin) I looked at the lighting link --love some of those
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Okay. I'm going to leave you with that. It can be overwhelming to think about too much at once. Let me know when you have appliance measurements and we can move ahead from there. Much depends on that. It's 2:08 am here and my bedtime. I'll wait to hear from you.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree on the sink --And I have the same kind of sink currently--and it is 3 bay stainless--and love it --I have a prep sink and hardly use it because I do have the 3 bays --But not sure if I want the small narrow bay this time since I love the farm sinks
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    @Rustica Hardware--Second call for you. Need pdf specs on the barn door hardware.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was actually was fixing to say the same-I teach school and those middle schoolers and high schoolers will have he best of me tomorrow if I don't get some ZZZZ's Looking forward to Spring Break next week. I'll sleep on it It's 1:11 and way past mine. I will get back to you on appliances and I will also ask a ? about mudroom area tomorrow. Thanks again
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    I would like to know about the ceiling treatment, wall treatment and the windows.

CEILING TREATMENT
    The architectural plan below shows beams only where indicated in red on the architectural drawing but you mentioned beams in the ceiling in the kitchen. Are there others in the kitchen area beside what I have marked in red? If so, using the architectural drawing, would you locate the beams in the kitchen with a dotted line or a colored line, including any that might abut the walls?

Regarding the beams that are located on the architectural drawing below as well as any others that may be in the kitchen: Are the they, square or round logs? Are they rough or smooth wood (P-lams) or are they finished with sheetrock? What is the ceiling treatment between them—is it sheetrock or is it wood?

WINDOWS
    Do you have the make and model number of the mullioned windows in the kitchen?

WALLS
    Are any logs exposed on the interior walls or are they sheetrocked? If any are exposed—on what walls?
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    The cabinets on the bench wall can be made 18" to match the bench since this is custom, giving you 6" more inches of counter space along that range wall.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    How do I send you a private message-I want to send you a couple of pics--of the outside of a house--for the windows--but I can't publish it to the public. It is for my use only. I have a options on the windows. The plan was just a start from the drafter--I have paid for the drafting but I get 3 more revisions however, I do not have time for that many revisions so I am trying to get it at least "almost right" so I can send it to them for a redraft. They can cut the logs for any size window or opening inside that we want. It is custom package --It is based off a floorplan they have but I am not stuck with it. I hope this makes sense. Let me know how to contact you with the pics of the general look of the house. Windows can be adjusted as we want.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    All the log beams are wood--they are square and all hand hewn design. I will get a list of the ?'s and get my info out and get you the answers.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    This is my favorite switch, both a rocker and a dimmer.

Using Switches and Dimmers in Home Automation · More Info
  • PRO
    Dreamwork Kitchens
    11 years ago
    To find a reputable kitchen dealer in your area - Google the NKBA (National KItchen & Bath Association) They will be able to find you help. Good Luck with your Project.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    eagledzines: I have yourcontact info--I will download the pics and get them to you within the hour
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dreamwork kitchens: Did you mean for cabinets or what?
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    11 years ago
    Hi eagledzines answering your question: Can you provide us with a pdf of the specs for the barn door? Generally the rail for the barn door to run on will be 2 times the width of the door. So you will need to consider the wall space available to accommodate the door when its opened. Any door can be hung on the hardware as long as its not over 300 pounds. We offer solid alder wood door kits that are easy to assemble. The attached jpg is the specs for one of the door kits we offer. See: http://rusticahardware.com/solid-alder-barn-door/
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Very well. Thank you. What finishes are available?
  • PRO
    Dreamwork Kitchens
    11 years ago
    Eagledzines , A member Dealer with the NKBA will be able to help you with all aspects of your project , from cabinets to counters , floors and finishes.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    @Dreamwork--I see you do custom and semi custom.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Thank you onthefece!
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dreamwork Kitchens: eagledzines has been very helpful in working through some design issues I HAD. Working with her has put a total new light on issues that I had actually paid someone for and the results were non functional. She has raised lots of questions for me to make my kitchen functional --that I have never thought of. She is not trying to sell her business or product. She has taken an interest in making MY kitchen one SHE would want. And I can't express my appreciation enough. She has certainly made a difference in my stress level this week.)
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Thank you hbhwatkins!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Dreamworks, I shall keep your products in mind. What is your service area? Do you use any reclaimed lumber in your work?
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You are very welcome eagledzines. Just telling it the way it is!! :)
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    onthefence: That is exactly correct. Eagledzines has been and continues to be very helpful. I expected to be given advice and it be left up to me to figure the rest out. Luckily, she has stuck it out with me and we still aren't finished, but getting there. Thanks!
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    @hbhwatkins, we're the eagledzines fan club! If I ever get "OFFthefence" with my kitchen thoughts and planning, I very much hope eagle is still feeling like exercising her kitchen design talents!

And my congratulations to you on the design progress you've made.
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    to eagledzines: I sent you an email and it was returned to me saying delivery failed --I sent it twice I guess I must have written he email address down wrong. Can you give it again? I am back from my much needed spring break trip and need to finish this weekend on the footprint of the design. I have a few more specifics for you and wanted your opinion.
    Also, who makes that slimmer sub-zero frig and freezer--I was already thinking of doin the seperate frig and freezer but didn't think of putting it in the mudroom area --and I am thinking about taking a few feet out of the four seasons room to add a little more space in the mudroom. We sat down this morning and discussed the frig--I can put it on the wall where the pantry entry is if I want to forgo the walk in pantry on that wall and put it somewhere and somehow in the mudroom. We did decide we need to put windows on either side of the range/hood to make that side of the house look "right" Thoughts?
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I bet that was the problem--I will send it again
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I sent you an email
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks I will take a look at the frig website
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Did all that make sense? I replied to your ? --or at least I think I did
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11 years ago
    Wow !!

This is a fantastic example of a kind hearted and talented designer giving her time and experience to someone simply asking for help !

And this is one of many that Ms Eagledzines has helped !!

I hope Houzz notes this !!!

She deserves a special mention or something !!!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Thank you very much OnePlan!
  • hbhwatkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OnePlan: She has been the "go to " person for me. She has made me feel comfortable, even to the point to where I could ask "dumb" questions and she could make me understand. I am such a visual person and she has provided such eye openers that I am so very thankful for.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH