Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imimpb

Trash or Treasure

Margaret B
11 years ago
I found this buffet on Craig's list. I am sanding down the bad paint job today and plan on repainting. My husband cannot see the potential. Thinks it is a crime against humanity to paint furniture. I see the piece as a great tv console that will add character in our great room. Trash or treasure, what do you think?

Comments (250)

• Margaret B
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The color was a total accident, I had originally planned on painting it dark and glossy, but nothing in my house is dark and glossy. The paint was originally SW Raging Sea, I toned it down to Surf Green, but when you glaze the color it turns out this funky turquoise
  • conniemartines
    10 years ago
    This was a great transformation...from trash to treasure..it love the frame....what a fabulous job!
  • missmealie
    10 years ago
    Stunning! Well done. You've done a marvelous job.
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the kind words. I will be posting a design dilemma for this entire room after I get my gardens back in shape. The puppies have re-landscaped for me and we don't have the same taste in outdoor design. Lots to do outside.
  • jenbidwell
    10 years ago
    you are a busy woman!!!
  • ginale
    10 years ago
    Great job!!
  • mkritt
    10 years ago
    Beautiful Margaret B!!!!
  • njmomma
    10 years ago
    What beautiful work! Love it! So jealous ;-)
  • Peggy Corrigan
    10 years ago
    Really great...inspired.
  • Susan Stern
    10 years ago
    Wow, you did a great job. It looks terrific!
  • Kym C.
    10 years ago
    That looks really nice & best, it's original! Also motivates me to paint more and buy 2nd hand.
  • brittanyeliseanderson
    10 years ago
    Treasure get knew knobs and a fun color!
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Total treasure and it seems like you totally found its purpose - great job
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    GORGEOUS!!! Keep saving those "trash" pieces!!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Thumbs up!
    Margaret B thanked JudyG Designs
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    TREASURE!!!
  • flippa33
    10 years ago
    What a fabulous job you've done, it looks fantastic!
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Your treasure looks absolutely amazing and so very clever to add the frame around the TV in the same glaze!! Trend setter you are, I'd say! Any chance you could show the room looking at your new piece from afar? Would love to see it with the rest of your lovely room. What's next? LOL
    Margaret B thanked rosecottagehome
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rosecottagehome, the room is very awkward and has been a huge challenge for me. There are six openings into the room, our friends call it the room of doorways. I had a dilemma open last year to try and get some direction, bit it is still not complete. I plan on trying again after the holidays. But here is a peak at the room.
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the piece from afar.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I love the piece! I think I would probably take 0000 steel wool and rub it down here and there....
  • nechamaj
    10 years ago
    It's great! Now you can bring some of the new colour in the drapes.
  • mkritt
    10 years ago
    Margaret, this room reminds me so much of my GR. I will be watching to see all you do. I'm already copying your tv, credenza, and wall gallery. Now would you please buy some oversized lamps so I can see where you would put them?!! :-))
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    This certainly is a treasure. I love that you kept the hardware and stripped it and the color is perfect. Very fun how you framed your "modern art". I also think you did a great job decorating a difficult but very pretty room.
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    10 years ago
    Just swell! I love the color. What I love most is that you're weren't into the piece for more than your time and paint. If it sucked and you hated it? you'd have gotten off cheaply, how great is that? (spousal response to the finished product?)
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    A real treasure, congratulations!
    If you get fed up with colours you can always paint it a wood colour to appease your husband ...
  • pattikee
    10 years ago
    Love what you did here. Fantastic job!
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    Well done!! :)
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    What a nice job. I was going to suggest distressing it nd it definitely has that look.
  • wuff
    10 years ago
    Love it..
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    Treasure, definitely! Haven't read all the comments so I apologize if this is a repeat - how about a nice coat or two of chalk (not chalkboard!) paint?
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    I have now gone back through the comments. Looks wonderful. Great job!
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Duffy. the room has morphed a bit over the past year. I replaced the area rug, reupholstered chairs and added few things here and there. We are very pleased with the room now.
  • Susan Humphries Salop
    9 years ago
    Treasure....I can see it used in multiple places....family room, office or the bedroom!
  • mkritt
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Margaret! How high do you have your TV? Getting ready to work on my credenza. and I'm hoping to get the TV hung before I do.

I'm going to try (the operative word) and turn my lamps into floor lamps to put on each side of it. My friend has a vision haha so we'll see how that little project goes. She also thinks I should leave the credenza cherry....but once again I just love yours so much. Your picture belongs on a page here on Houzz!
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello Mary Kay! The Top of the TV is at 74 inches. It was hung to accommodate "optimal TV viewing" from my Husband's chair, which is about 15 feet from the TV. Hubs was very scientific with his installation! LOL
  • Tess Wakefield
    9 years ago
    Did you make frame for TV?
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Tess! Yes we made the frame for the TV.
  • mkritt
    9 years ago
    I just measured and the sofa is 14 feet away from the TV. That would raise it about 10 inches from where it sits now.

One more question please? How tall is your buffet?

Thanks so much Margaret!!
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Mary Kay the buffet is 33 inches tall 72 inches wide. You want to make sure when you hang the TV that your not looking up at it when seated, it causes neck strain.
  • Tess Wakefield
    9 years ago
    How is the frame made? Is it just around the tv? How is tv attached. Beautiful!
  • Margaret B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This site has the instructions, was a vary simple project.
    http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2013/10/how-to-build-a-tv-frame-tutorial.html
    Do a Google search, all sorts of creative ideas to create a frame.
  • PRO
    Sea Island Builders LLC
    9 years ago
    Beautiful piece of furniture!
  • mkritt
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thanks Margaret! My credenza is just 30" tall. Definitely don't want the TV too high. I'm excited to finally start working on this :-)
  • Jacquie
    9 years ago
    Treasure for sure!
  • mcbmd3
    9 years ago
    Treasure.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    A lovely piece, dldavid18. I hope before the next bonfire that you'll consider donating your potential kindling to a nonprofit shop or your local theatre department.
  • jessegee
    9 years ago
    Its great, can;t wait to see it done!
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    This posting is dated March 2013 but I have to say - this is a treasure and I like what you have done with it.