Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_pavey

Fireplace surround! Will ledge stone work?

Shannon Pavey
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I love the look of ledge stone fireplace surrounds but not sure if it'll look right on my surround. I think a smaller ledge stone would look best scale wise but.. What do the Houzzers think? Thank you!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Shannon, We can make just about anything work..we just need the right amount of money and a design! I guess what I'm trying to say is...we are only limited by imagination and the budget. I recommend talking to a local design professional and getting detailed drawings of what you would like to do. Stacked stone is totally on the table...But find a local pro! You can research local design professionals here on Houzz by hitting the "find local pros" tab on the header above and following the prompts.
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Ironwood Builders! I actually work for a fabulous designer but want to identify if there is a design issue with the current surround before I bother the pros. Well, I guess I'm still bothering the pros... on Houzz! You're so right though, anything can be done... just takes time, money and a pro! :)
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Shannon, jumping into design, is there another place where the TV can go? Seems like the chair in your photo has a different focal point? I agree with the thought that there are four individual elements on the wall and four is a difficult number. Beyond that, the height of the TV and placing it above a heat source are contentious issues here on Houzz. I personally don't care...I don't own one, choosing to be here on Houzz in my free time. In any event, stripping down the facade and eliminating the column effect and the niche will simplify things. Your asymmetrical design needs to be played up, since I don't think that can be changed. Your style is contemporary? So your stacked stone idea can go from floor the mantle with a good heavy reclaimed timber mantle and new heavy doors in a similar material to cover the firewood storage. It doesn't need to be for storage, that's just what is intimated by the doors and their rusticity. Inset the doors a few inches. Above the mantle, no large rectilinear elements. Decorative objects that vary, some with height to move the eye up, some intimate to invite a closer look. Conceivably a series of related artwork hung as a triptych. Smaller and lower...and not centered. You'll need to play with it? It was late last night when I was posting...it can take some time for inspiration to hit...and a night's sleep helps!
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The space behind the TV was a niche until my husband framed it out so we could hang the TV there. It now looks the same as the side with the arch and picture, drywall, textured and painted.

I like the idea of changing the mantel. My style is contemporary so I'd love to do ledge stone from floor to ceiling. I also like the idea of adding storage to where I currently have a bookcase for equipment (firewood storage area). Custom cabinetry with a decorative glass might look good. Need the equipment to work through the doors, glass is a must.

If I change the mantel to large timber, should it still reach all the way across or just over the fireplace? It's hard to visualize how to change this huge focal point in my house.

Thank you for your input!
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ironwood Builders, the chair is not my favorite but will have to stay for now. I hope to get a more colorful accent piece in the future. It faces the kitchen and nook area which are open to this family room. I also had the brilliant idea to paint stripes but was quickly shot down. It's okay though, my husband wasn't thrilled with the idea anyway. See here... http://houzz.com/discussions/406350
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    One of the reasons I try not to get into design/color discussions...those folks can get vicious!

So..about the stone...yes, it can go all the way to the ceiling. I rarely push for the maximum because it pushes the maximum budget too. Balance is everything! The mantle should go the whole distance... We are accentuating the asymmetry and that helps. The doors to the storage cabinet can be solid. You just need an infrared repeater to run your equipment. They can hook you up at Radio Shack. I need to reread your post. I'm on my iPad and my memory fails.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Shannon...I was merely observing the direction of the chair in my comment. I'm not here to judge matters of taste. Your chair is comfortable I'm sure. I will, on the other hand, be a total a$$ about building codes and best practice construction. I am a nuts and bolts commenter for the most part. Only reason I jumped in to this one is because it wasn't getting much attention. I'll continue to look for your posts and comment as you require. I really think if you love some design element, it's my job to figure out a way to make it work, not step on it.

Run my ideas past your coworkers and boss. See if they then offer up ideas that either support or refute my thoughts. As I said, I'm not a designer.
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really appreciate your input Ironwood Builders... I hope the tone of my response didn't seem too forward. When I was working as a designer in the new home industry, I learned to not only appreciate the finishes of the home but the craftsmanship and skill behind each install. You may not be a "designer" but as a builder, your opinion is still valid. Thank you for your input!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Shannon! Seems we're both being as polite as can be! You have not been "forward" at all! I was trying to make sure you understood me and didn't take offense at my comments! I'll keep in touch! And Folsom? NorCal Folsom?
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes! NorCal Folsom! Everyone always asks, "Folsom like... Folsom Prison?". I'm thinking, here we go again. I don't even notice it, inmates never escape. It's a great city to live in. Great weather and close to Lake Tahoe.
  • nancy22032
    11 years ago
    That giant TV overwhelms the fireplace, storage and picture completely. The look is so unbalanced - you have
    a four-square arrangement with a top corner square dominating. If the TV is so important, why not turn the area into an entertainment center eliminating the FP etc.? I really don't mean to sound harsh but how can a stone facade
    correct this imbalance? If the fireplace is important, then don't make it compete with the TV. A TV
    no larger than the fireplace itself would not create such a visual problem but I know how men are about their TVs. I'm afraid I am not much help .
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Shannon, we never finished the discussion about the possibility of shifting the TV to a different area and creating two focal points in the room. What are your thoughts on this? That spurred my initial comment about your chair and I'm wondering if we could go back to it? We focused on the fireplace and mantle, seems like you have a plan there. I do think the TV is overpowering the fireplace...and will no matter how much stone we put in it. I have no TV, so apparently I'm not too manly! But I do know that lowering the TV will make viewing easier.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    And now the code geek steps in! Is your fireplace a wood burner? If it is and you do any work with permits, the new air quality rules make you change the fireplace to gas only...even if the work is purely decorative.

I spent some time working the American River, pulling out in Folsom Resevoir...long time ago. Love the foothills. Not as much as wine country, but great area!
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Nancy22032, I see what you're saying... the TV is huge and overpowers the space. My thought is that adding a more powerful visual element would help disguise our monster TV. It's a tough fix. The fireplace definitely can't go all together. We use it when it gets very cold in the winter.

Ironwood Builders, I'd like to say our room is flexible enough to move the furniture around and create a second focal point. The dimensions of the room won't allow me to move it around, our sofa would be facing away from the kitchen and practically sitting against the island. Definitely not an option but I appreciate the thought... I came up with two mock images of what I've been imagining. Let me know if you think it helps this wall at all or if I should just leave it as is. Oh and the fireplace is gas/log but we don't burn wood in it. Big no-no in our area, gets too dry and it's a fire hazard.

Thank you!
  • PRO
    Realstone Systems
    11 years ago
    I think a ledge stone would look great and a wonderful idea to bring it up to the ceiling! And if you're going all the way up, you could center the TV on the mantel. There are options to go with a thin stacked stone if you are worried about proportions as well.
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Realstone Systems! Would you recommend doing a medium color tone, something that will hide dirt? The existing tile around the fireplace tends to get dirty after we've used it. Is it possible to clean ledge stone?
  • PRO
    Realstone Systems
    11 years ago
    You don't necessarily have to choose your color tone for hiding dirt. You can simply clean it with soap and water as well as seal it so it doesn't get dirty as often. For your room though I think a medium tone would really make your fireplace pop. We have a bunch of different colors and profiles including a thin stone if you wanted to go that route.
  • Shannon Pavey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really like the thin stone and the colors you recommended are so warm. Thanks for your input Realstone Systems!
  • PRO
    The Victorian Fireplace
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of the stacked stone, it gives the wall the textural element it's crying for. Great call on the code issues too Ironwood. Pretty pictures are nice, but if the rules aren't followed, it's just plain bad advice!
  • PRO
    Realstone Systems
    11 years ago
    My pleasure :) Happy to help!
  • Ritchieos
    11 years ago
    Center fireplace if possible. Keep length of mantle ang go all the way up with you stone and add no cabinets, open shelves maybe, inset niche with downlighting on interesting non sports related art pieces, find another spot for the tv thats the fireplaces domain over there... Cant put it above, too high for as close as the seating seems, i got nerve damage from looking up at my tv and pinching nerve in neck has apparently been the mystery of my numb fingers.... Who woulda thunk... Im no builder, no designer,,, just calling it as if i walked into the room.