Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrieprinz

Kitchen cabinets need repainting - help me choose!

barrieprinz
11 years ago
I am planning to paint the kitchen cabinets in an old house we are buying. I've included some photos of what the kitchen looks like now. As you will see, the cabinets have been painted an blue-green-aqua-ish color that looks a bit like the color of oxidized copper. The cabinets themselves were built in the 1970's out of floorboards reclaimed from the attic. At some point later, the granite counter tops were added, and as you can see, they are a tan/brown color (with other tones/accents within, like all granite).

In my view, the color of the cabinets clashes with the granite -- although the color itself is kind of charming and antique-y, the aqua and the brown look sort of strange together. And although I don't love the color of the granite, it will be a lot less expensive to repaint the cabinets than to replace the granite. There are other blue accents in the kitchen (window valances, tablecloth and a painted border near the ceiling) that we do not plan to keep, so there won't be any blue in the room. The walls are a very bright white, and the floor is reddish-brown brick. There are many windows and it is a very bright room. There are some original unpainted beams in the kitchen (as well as an unpainted pot rack over the island), and I plan to leave those as is.

What color (or colors) would you use to paint these cabinets and the island? It has to be something that's sympathetic with both the granite and the brick floor. I'm not opposed to painting the cabinets one color and the island a different color. I was thinking of using Annie Sloan chalk paint, but am not wedded to that either.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments (85)

• marilugo
    11 years ago
    You are going to purchase a gorgeous home. The grounds, the style and space are fantastic. when I looked at the pictures of the rest of the house and came back to the kitchen pictures it seemed that kitchen was from a totally different house. It just does not go together. I have an appreciation for the eclectic but in this case I have to say go with your instincts. If you feel relax when you are in the dining room and all of a sudden you feel a bit stressed when you come into the kitchen, that tells you that visually the two do not go together. There is no continuation. I will say ( and I am not a designer) strip the island to original wood tone and stain appropriately (this will also make the island look like a piece of furniture instead of a kitchen cabinet), and to break from the darkness of floor, paint the rest of cabinets antique white to brighten the place. Then, assess the granite and see if it does not go with the house. Seems it goes with the wood colors in the dining room. Definitely take the pot rack out and add pendants that will go with rest of decor. Pot rack stops your eye from appreciating the space. It is like a chip in the windshield, you have the whole world to see, but your eye only see the chip.
    If you like to cook and look at recipes, the little nook by the kitchen may be nice for a comfy chair, small side table and your cooking books behind on the shelf. Soooo many possibilities with that house!! Congratulations!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I love that you are keeping the repurposed cabinets and encourage you to look into Milk Paint, www.milkpaint.com unearthed paints work well too. Depending on what type of paint is on there now, you might be able to simply sand and then paint.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would find out what prep the currently unpainted cabinets need ( because it may be different those currently painted. ) What color appliances, dishware, will be out in the room? There is no point pulling together the spaces if the end result is a color that clashes with the other things in the kitchen. Also, if you could have chosen a countertop what would it have been?
  • littleonestep
    11 years ago
    Love the brick floor and the character of the kitchen! I would take out all the wall paper border. paint the wall a neutral color. Paint the cabinets white! It will make the room look so fresh and airy. The dark wood color pot rack and table have that antique feel, and would look so nice against it. Good luck!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I agree about the wall paper border. If it was not for the granite on the sideboard I would suggest you remove it and put your kitchen table there. Your door shouldn't open into a table.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    ok..i'm probably going against everyone here..but here's my 2 cents! ha!
    paint the island base sage green, the lower cabs green as well and strip the upper cabs! I love your brick floors! awesomeness!!! creamy off-white walls!
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love your home to be! Could you sand off large spots on your blue cabinets revealing the original wood? You might have to stain some of those areas a darker stain brown that goes with the aqua. When all of the baby 80's blue drapes, etc are gone it will change a lot. I like that the aqua also ties in with the pretty light aqua blue bedroom. I think white cabinets would be a lot of upkeep. If you go white or off white I would have some antiquing to go with the age of your home better. You could stain the butcher block counters dark if you go that route. I agree, the granite is too modern for the period house. From the photos, I kind of like the dark turquoise in the butler's pantry. There is too much white in one of the rooms. A nice wallpaper would spice it up.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Strand
    11 years ago
    Simple,

The estate style screams for a milk paint cabinet finish. The charm of milk paint would be found in the country of Connecticut, Pennsylvania and into the mid-west where cows, dairy were staples and in ample supply!

If the paint is even and uniform it will be statelier
    If rough and mopped texture are used it will have more charm and rustic appeal. You choose which style best fits you! See the charm in the brush strokes, the thickness of the paint and even areas where it’s worn thru to the wood. The red trunk is a nice accent. Get the “pine board” pot rack out or improved with some crown details around its perimeter and build up its thickness so it does not look like who did it and ran.

A soft white, Linen or a soft butter cream even a gentle pale yellow would be great and timeless. Be bold and have a little pink/beige in the back ground pulling the counter color into it. And if you up to it hone or brush the counters making them older and more in tune with the estate!

The floor… looks great.
  • Dana Veach
    11 years ago
    The color on the cabinets is charming, but it appears to have been badly applied. I would suggest sanding it down till the barest hint of color remains and the grain of the wood is visible. Then you can decide whether to repaint or simply seal what might be a lovely pale almost "pickled" finish on the wood, but with a vestige of the aqua/verdigris tint. I agree that the granite really doesn't seem to go with anything...either the cabinets or the brick. It is nice stone in and of itself, but it appears to have too much gold as an under tone to work with the brick. Still, if you need to keep it for the sake of cost economy, then perhaps the soft antique-y white or buttery cream tones suggested by others would be your best bet for the cabinetry. I'd get rid of the wallpaper border as well and eliminate the visually heavy wooden pot rack. Is the stove vent up there? I can't really tell.

Meanwhile...congratulations on acquiring such a stunning home...lucky you!
  • maritajb
    11 years ago
    The counter top is fine for now but doesn't really match the period of the house. In my view, the house is worth your updating the kitchen some time in the future. I don't mind the cabinet color but the paintwork looks really scrappy and does not suit the sophisticated elegance of the rest of your beautiful home. They would look much better replaced with white paneled cabinetry to match the doors in the room or modern white smooth cabinets for a more modern take. The picture from michigammemom is inspiring, I love the idea of replacing top cabinets with shelves or glass fronted cabinets as currently they look too boxy and low set and are shallow anyway. Downlights underneath the cupboards are always useful and pretty. I would consider replacing the middle block cupboard with a vintage wooden kitchen table for a more traditional open look as your lovely big kitchen can afford the space. Get rid of the pot rack and put in some lovely lights.

But in the short term I would re-paint the cabinets fresh white enamel and perhaps swap out the handles for cast iron or brass depending on fittings used elsewhere in the house. It will make a big difference when you get rid of the frieze and curtains. I am excited for you!
  • PRO
    Debby Hall
    11 years ago
    I love the cabinets and the rustic look! The blue and white curtains and the cabinet color clash and you will need to pick one...I"m guessing you already have :) I agree with many above, paint the cabinets. Sometimes layering paints can give you a really cool effect so if you have some of that board to play with try layering on top of the aqua before you do anything else. I'm attaching a pic showing wood tops. They don't have to be over the top as you can see. I have even seen tops done out of plywood and they looked fabulous! This pic is from a showhouse where things can get a bit contrived so overlook the fabric and it's placement.
  • PRO
    Debby Hall
    11 years ago
    Sorry, photo did not attach
  • Roseanna
    11 years ago
    Apparently, I am a renegade here..but, I would definitely paint the cabinets on the wall an old white and the island an off black, which I see in the wood burning stove. (Annie Sloan, Old White and graphite, for example). These cabs are way too rustic...you already have the brick floor which I love, but, I think the overall feel of the house is more formal. So, I would suggest a little more refinement in the cabinets. Live with the granite until you are able to replace it. I think soapstone would be a great choice, and perhaps wood for the island. The house is a treasure, congratulations!
  • Kathy M
    11 years ago
    Please let us know what you have decided to do! Beautiful home!
  • tsudhonimh
    11 years ago
    To get back to the original point: although changing out countertops would be satisfying, the OP wants color suggestions for now.

Just ditching the blue accents in favor of some deeper teal and coral would help. (and what is more trendy than turquoise and coral?)

The cabinets were meant to look "rustic" but they look badly paionted, not rustic - the color needs to be more even.

I would do the island a deep brown, the color of the darkest flecks in the granite, blending with the reddish brick. Or a very dark coral. Or a deep teal or emerald green. Rich colors.

Perimeter cabinets, could be that dark color of the island on the bottom and a pale cream on the top ... or just all pale cream. Make sure the undertones match with the brick - go peacyy-cream and not greenish yellow.
  • stylishdigs
    11 years ago
    Ok, call me crazy, but I love the countertops! From your initial comments you want to keep the countertops and would like some ideas in terms of working around that, for now. When I view this kitchen, I see a french flavored gourmet design. For now, what I would suggest is working with what you have and making several slight modifications that may not cost too much. As you had mentioned and some other readers have already suggested, is to paint out the cabinets. Lighter neutral colours for the cabinets and painting the island a darker colour. I like a dark chocolate brown, black can be too severe. I would remove the wooden structure above the island holding your pots and replace the current lighting there with hanging pendants to match the beautiful chandelier that already exists over the small table to the right. Or move the chandelier to the island and put in beautiful smaller sized lights above the table or pot lights. The kitchen cabinets need some bulk, or profile if you will. Paint the cabinets a neutral colour and add crown moulding all the way around so that NOW when you look at your kitchen, it has a beautiful profile and weight that matches the weight that the dark tiles and dark brown island will give you. If budget permits, use the money you saved from keeping your countertop to invest in a new gas range, new sink faucet and several new lights. Good luck, it is beautiful now and with small changes will be even better.
  • Regina Downing
    11 years ago
    Red cabinets, bright red
  • annl8100
    11 years ago
    Love granite countertops.. dont change them.. Paint cabinets black. island white or something neutral:)
  • mommabear12
    11 years ago
    Sell the granite and go for soapstone on the counters. Make the island bigger and put wood on it for a counter. Paint the cabinets a very light ivory-almost white.Use a solid paint vs. the milk paint. Leave the walls and the beams. They look great. LOVE the floor! Lucky you!
  • colleen55
    11 years ago
    Ikea has inexpensive and great quality butcher block counter tops.They would look much more natural with the brick floors and rustic cabinets.Keep the color.
  • evelynsteiner
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of white cabinets and a butcher block type of counter. It would look great with the floors too.
  • linlac
    11 years ago
    You already have your answer. You don't love the color of the granite. If you design your whole kitchen around something you don't love you will never be satisfied with it. I have made that mistake and kept things trying to save money and it only costs me more later. You have such an awesome home so fill it with everything you LOVE. There are many budget friendly design options these days. Keep us posted.
  • stylishdigs
    11 years ago
    Some pic's for you.
  • ladymojo
    11 years ago
    I'm with the sell the counters crowd, replace them with butcher block, even Ikea's, or else soapstone. I love the cabinets and think you should go with the aqua / duck egg blue instead of the other blue, even tho that's my favourite colour. If you were to paint the cabinets with Annie Sloan chalk paint, and keep the granite, I think Old White or Cream would be the choice. You could buy a small sample of Arles to add a bit more ocher colour if you wanted. With some dark wax on top, it would be lovely. Also agree to check out Maria Killam's blog for more absolutely fabulous advice about colour theory. But whatever you do, don't distress it in places where wear wouldn't actually happen. Patches in the middle of cabinet doors look like polka dots on a bad dress. Like Annie Sloan says, we North Americans do too much distressing in illogical places on furniture. Milk paint is another wonderful idea. Miss Mustard Seed has some good colours.
  • Nancy Klich
    11 years ago
    The turqouise has sooooo much potential. While white is the safe choice, the most memorable and fun-to-live-in spaces are not often created by making safe choices.
    Perhaps a you need to just tweak the cabinet color. Check out what the "Kitchen Cousins" did with turquoise cabinets: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-turquoise-cabinets-snazz-up-a-space-savvy-eat-in-stsetivw-vs~9087298?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u257&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery0 Their cabinets have a bit of the underlying wood peeking through the turquoise, which could help tie them to your tan granite.
    Also consider the advice of Design and Decor by Shelley. Maybe you just need to repaint walls, tweak the finish, and add some hardware, rugs, and accessories that incorporate the turquoise and tan. Good luck.
  • Peggy Tupper
    11 years ago
    I like the cabinets the current color. The material in the cabinets will not look good if you attempt to paint then a high gloss color. Sounds ridiculous but I would take out the granite counter top. Even formica would look better.
  • dlapollo
    11 years ago
    my contractor painted my kitchen cabinets - Benjamin Moore - Decorators White
    and he used floor paint...stays on longer and doesn't chip as much- I paint them every couple of years
    and i love my "new" kitchen...
  • pearlmelba
    11 years ago
    you will have a fab home !!!!! out of all the comments i think only one person suggested painting the cabinets red yes this i think will look good get rid of the boarder if you are keeping the pot holder some nice red pots hanging from it some more chrome some red shades on your chandelier get rid of the so called curtains put some red and cream blinds maybe a little rug (wood work tops need to be looked after oiled ) keep the granite
    loving the pictures so far good luck with it all i am sure you will enjoy putting your stamp on the house
  • Patti McNab
    11 years ago
    love the cabinets :)
    i would replace the granite
    with ....
    butcher block.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Paint the cabinets white. You could paint the island in an accent color of your choice.
  • sandi_home
    11 years ago
    I am in love with this kitchen and especially the color of the cabinets and island. I would sell the granate and try to buy tarnished copper counter on the sink side with a farmhouse sink dropped in....with a hammered copper blacksplash ......this would make it a kitchen to die for! Perhaps, the island in a complimentary color greenish blue with some of the new green recyled materials. Authentic could be light grey soap stone to match the floor. And a black splash of blue green and black or earth tone combinations of tiles in place. I would leave the beautiful cabinets just the way they are. Have a look at some turquise jewelery for inspiration. The white Farm House sink will bring in some white to accet the darkness of the room. Good luck and enjoy! Please share when you are done.
  • sandi_home
    11 years ago
    I am in love with this kitchen and especially the color of the cabinets and island. I would sell the granate and try to buy tarnished copper counter on the sink side with a farmhouse sink dropped in....with a hammered copper blacksplash ......this would make it a kitchen to die for! Perhaps, the island in a complimentary color greenish blue with some of the new green recyled materials. Authentic could be light grey soap stone to match the floor. And a black splash of blue green and black or earth tone combinations of tiles in place. I would leave the beautiful cabinets just the way they are. Have a look at some turquise jewelery for inspiration. The white Farm House sink will bring in some white to accet the darkness of the room. Good luck and enjoy! Please share when you are done.
  • barrieprinz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You all are amazing! Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and input!
  • think1
    11 years ago
    Pay attention to how well the cabinets function before you decide. I do like how they look. And granite countertops may be important now but they are probably a fad that will play out at some point. So no need to be totally attached to them.
    That said, how about considering lighting options. Lighting may make all the difference for this kitchen.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    I think you need to go with what you feel comfortable with and if that is white you can't go wrong. There are a couple of things to think about....the finish does not look smooth do whatever the top coat is, be it, chalk paint or semi gloss you will get a textured look. The other thing is that speckled granite screams a more contemporary kitchen and looks out of place in that setting. You could go with butcher block and wrap the island counter with metal like zinc, stainless steel, copper etc., since that is where your range is and it will be protected fom heat. Or just do the island in soapstone or some other heat resistant finish. I'm not sure about butcher block and stove tops but laminate is not heat resistant and is used next to stoves.
  • think1
    11 years ago
    another counter idea - Soapstone counters or the same look from Formica. Formica is becoming a new green alternative. Coming into style again and not so expensive that it's hard to make changes when you like.
  • robinread
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of using paint to make the change rather than changing out the counters. At least you can change your mind later if you still dislike the granite. Love the aqua color but would be better used elsewhere. I would paint the cabinets a shade of white, maybe change out the hardware to something black or oil rubbed bronze but I would pull in that aqua color on the wall behind the wood stove. Agua colored shades on the new pendant light fixtures would look great over the island (?) along with other aqua and black accents, linens, or such to pull it all together, and would have the added bonus to easily switch to another color down the road (Maybe a cheery lemony yellow? Orange?). At this point I think it would take any guessing out of whether to change the counter tops or not, as I think it would be obvious if the granite works or not up against neutral coloured cabinets. Love your kitchen, the floors are fantastic..actually your whole house is fantastic! Love it! A couple of antique iron and wood stools at the island would be inviting too, but I'm sure you have already thought of that!
  • butlera
    11 years ago
    Wow, what a fabulous old home! Congratulations! :-) I think the counter is really nice and adds a lot of value to the home. I do like the turquoise, but I don't think it works with the room and the style of the cabinets. If it were my decision to make, I would work with the permanent fixtures that exist in the room (counters, floors, cupboards) and really up the french country factor, as seen in the pic. Good luck with closing and the move.
  • lynnzin
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home! I think the aqua looks out of place. I would use white chalk paint and then distress the cabinets so some of the aqua show through. Painting the cabinets a dark color would cause the room to close up and you would lose all that nice bright space.
  • jacksonbeth
    11 years ago
    Wow! Check out that blue!! I suggest looking specifically at the Raleigh line of cabinets from Carolina Heartwood Cabinetry. These cabinets have a really beautiful light color to them and it would add to the look and feel of your kitchen now. ( http://www.carolinaheartwoodcabinetry.com)
  • jessica
    11 years ago
    can't go wrong with white or cream cabinets, a classic in my opinion.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    I would go with white or black for the cabinets...both will go beautifully with the granite.
  • Dalia
    11 years ago
    Why don't you make it look like French country, add some wood detailing (wainscotting) around the frame of the cabinets, might bring out the style of the kitchen better.
    10 years ago
    The wood is knotty pine and with the brick it sooo dates the house to awful 70's. Keep it light and bright and rip out that counter and if you're on a budget put old wood or butcher block with a heavy duty polyurethane and maybe even inlay an old scrap of stone or marble for hot pots. Keep it light and simple the brick has a lot going on already.
  • Carol Lundquist
    10 years ago
    I think a light buttery yellow like cornsillk for the perimeter cabinets would be nice and maybe do the island a cappuccino or something in dark browns or greys.
  • mhteb
    10 years ago
    Its been about a year since you bought this beautiful home. Can you post pictures of what you finally did with the kitchen?
  • mpoulsom
    9 years ago
    yes! I would love to see what has been done. It's such a great space! :)
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Oh .......
    Please please ..
    Show us ......
    :@) :@)
    9 years ago
    Over-grout the floor or have a mason redo the grout lighter, mine does it all the time.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Original post is very old, no update from poster.
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH