Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneplan

meet the Pro's and fellow Design Enthusiasts !

OnePlan
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
There are many talented professionals (Pro) and Design Enthusiasts (DE) who contribute to this site, for free, to offer help and advise.

...did you know that you can click on the tag name of the person chatting to you about your dilemma and see their profile page? This can give you a wonderful insight to their past projects and their contact details etc should you wish to hire or purchase a product from them.

...Also you can 'find a pro in your area' .

I thought it this would be a good thread for us tell You a bit more about Us !!

NB (Pro) and (DE) please add to this below !!

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    I am David Casillas, owner of Rockin' Fine Finish, LLC: Solid People, Pure Painting. We operate out of Seattle and serve areas all over the Puget Sound region. We work with individual home owners, general contractors, architects and project managers. A home's colors and types of finish reflect your home's personality. Our job is to take your vision and apply it to your home.

I consult with clients prior to any bid, ensuring that your vision is brought to reality. I am onsite performing and overseeing all painting projects, keeping the homeowner/project manager up to date with the progress and ensuring the job is efficiently coming along to specifications.

After many years as a Painting Project Manager for a successful local painting company, I started my own painting company. I am a the father of three and have been married for 12 years. I know everyone's time and money is valuable and I am committed to providing quality work at a fair price.

It is my passion in life to help people and that is my business ethic. I am not satisfied until you are.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Hi All. This is a wonderful idea and a great way for us to know more about each other as well.

I'm Carolyn and I've been a decorator for over 20 years. I am in the Toronto area. Mother to two great kids and grandmother to two lovely grandchildren with another on the way. Married to the same great guy for over 40 years.

Passionate about decorating and design. One of the best parts of the job is that I have made many wonderful friends along the way. Always learning and experimenting.

I love all aspects of design but my passion is kitchen design. Because I love to cook and we are always entertaining designing functional kitchens from a cook's perspective is one of my favourite challenges.

I love working with my clients to help their dreams become a reality and work diligently to ensure their complete happiness with the finished product.

I feel privileged to have worked with so many wonderful people as clients and trade.
  • PRO
    Sense of Space
    11 years ago
    Hi everyone, my name is Victoria Stepanov and I am the owner of Sense of Space, a design and management company based in New York, NY. I have been in this business for 15 years, designing residential and commercial projects. I serve the Greater NYC area including NJ and CT.

I have architectural background along with a degree in interior design. This allows me to expand my services from designing new homes and additions to all aspects of interior design and decorating. I also act as a project manager on the client's side working with general contractors, architects, craftsmen and engineers during the course of the project.

I love working in different styles, from very traditional to contemporary, and am well-versed in many historic architectural styles. My approach to a project is somewhere between "the client is always right" and "there's a reason you hired me" :) I usually work out a solution that satisfies even the pickiest of clients!

My work is represented here on HOUZZ and also on my website www.sense-of-space.com
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Great idea Karen! I now have a name to use instead of @oneplan, ironwood, etc. cool.

My name is Kevin, but you can call me Kevin Patrick O'Brien for short. Hired as an intern my senior year in high school, I started as an apprentice emptying trash cans, running "blueprints" and cleaning restrooms. After washing my hands, and if I had enough time, the architects taught me how to draw. Flash forward 35 years and I have two Design Studios, one located in NorCal (Granite Bay, CA) and one in SoCal (Ventura, CA) My assistant works on all of our computer (CAD) drawings and I meet with customers and still sketch by hand. I enjoy every aspect of Design, Drawings and Construction. We keep the clients goals up front and center throughout the process with our primary goal realizing their dream.
    Wow I liked that last sentence, sort of sums it all up nicely!
    Thanks for reading this, enjoy..... (Ironwood is now David, I like that)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    welcome aboard !!! we are a friendly bunch eh ?!! any more pros or design enthusiasts want to introduce themselves ?!
  • PRO
    Change Your Bathroom©
    10 years ago
    Great idea!

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

My name is Michelle and I'm down here in Georgia! (read that with a twang) - I'm not from Georgia (midwestern raised) but I'm working on my [sometimes] southern accent. My husband just ends up shaking his head. :)

Change Your Bathroom, Inc. is a family run business that has a passion for bathroom design and installs. Really, we do it for fun! We love crazy and challenging designs.

We have several products on the market such as our inflowAIR dust containment system which allows us to keep ALL dust out of the rest of the house during a remodel project. Then there is our Splish Splash Drain System which is a hidden curbless drain. (I told you it was fun!).

I love connecting with other pros (in the bathroom field and outside of the field) and sharing outside the box ideas!

I look forward to seeing you guys around the web community!

For those who love twittering like me @changeurbathrm
    www.changeyourbathroom.com
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    10 years ago
    Hey to the world: My name is Ingo Scholz and I am President of Fenstermann LLC in the US. Born and raised in Germany, living in the Netherlands for a couple years, France and Spain, I finally made it over the big ocean in 2003 and founded the company. We are specialized in windows, doors and window treatments Made in Germany ( which is one of my educational backgrounds as sales director of Schueco International, Germany). We work with custom builders, designers and architects to bring their creative dreams to life and help their clients to live in their dream home. We maintain a very close relationship to our clients and most of them call me Mr. Fenstermann - our business is based on referrals only. Feel free to pick our brain for your projects and think outside the normal box - we are here for you.

www.fenstermann.com
    www.pleatedblindsstore.com
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    One Plan, thanks for this good idea! Fun to learn more about the pro's and contributors.
    My profession is Registered Nurse, from which valuable trouble-shooting skills have been learned. Interior and exterior, landscape design, decoration, architecture are of interest to me. Love to make things work with sensible, cost-effective methods that produce superior results. Beginning with my first home (1987), I designed and applied ideas to interior/exterior remodeling & landscape design/application. My background also includes property management/sales, real estate, business & music/I have a professional Benge trumpet. My husband Chuck and I reside in frozen ND..we have 3 kids, one granddaughter, 3 dogs and a cat. Houzz is great to participate in, learn & share with others!! Glad I found it, and so happy to hopefully help others when I can.
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    10 years ago
    Jayme, for a non pro you are certainly very pro. You never cease to amaze me with your ideas.
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    Hi my name is Kathleen and I am a Houzz addict.
    Professionally I'm an Art teacher in the Dallas, Texas area.That means I spend more time firing student pottery than my own works in clay or glass.
    My design partner for over 30 years is my husband who is an architect. That's a combination which creates a lot more good ideas than we can afford and lots of drama as we rehab our suburban 1970's house with 3 kids. It's so much easier to solve other people's design dilemmas here.
    We joke about home improvement projects being ranked by how many trips they take to Home Depot or Lowe's and if they are on the 5 or 10 Plans. This Saturday included trips to both and a local feed store, tearing down a playfort, digging out a forest of squirrel plants trees and planting a garden. All this was part of the building of my pottery studio But that's another design dilemma.

I hope my contributions are helpful and I love getting to know all of you through your comments.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi, my name is Nancy, obviously, and I am a quasi-professional in that I have worked in the field as a decorator consultant for a major retailer in my youth, a display and advertising supervior in another major retail store(s)--I did the display and ads for three stores in a state at the same time. I was a graphic artist for 20 years, and I have an individualized bachelor's degree in Quilt Art.
    I enjoy decorating, designing, and saving money. I taught myself how to make slipcovers, draperies, and do upholstery while still in my 20s because I could not afford to pay someone else to do it! I also taught myself how to wallpaper, when wallpaper was really big back in the 70s and 80s.
    I am now retired and live in New Mexico and spend a lot of time on the computer, and continue to keep my fingers on the pulse of decorating trends. I have found heaven on Houzz! If I can help anyone out or provide an opinion on what I would do with a situation or a dilemma, I love to help. But keep it mind, it is only an opinion!
  • pattiegoode
    10 years ago
    Fun thread, Karen! I'm pretty new to Houzz, but have quickly become addicted. Let's call me a DE. I'm from Arkansas but currently living & working in Abu Dhabi. I've always loved houses (especially old ones), rooms, and making them look good while being easy to live in. I'm a big DIY-er & that is one of the challenges I face living in the UAE (my first high-rise apartment doesn't lend itself to much DIY). I've worked with average middle-class families in the past to find the best furniture arrangement or update their "look" or even just work in some family heirlooms. My "training" has been both personal education, trail & error, professional course work, listening to client desires, and being open to the ideas of others found in magazines, books, & Houzz! It's great to read all of your posts! Thanks!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Karen, I'm a complete newbie (DE), so I don't know if I belong in this thread. If not, please let me know and I can delete it. :)
    I live in southern California, and just a year ago I had no idea, absolutely zero knowledge about any of this stuff. But I'm going through a big remodel of the condo -- demolition started in November 2012, and we still have weeks to go. This is my first remodel, and the whole process has been overwhelming and very stressful. A few months into the remodel, I was at our local Apple store and I saw Houzz on their iPads, completely by accident. I started browsing and found it very nice. I wish I had known about Houzz before the remodel, but better late than never. I see that many other people have very similar (and also very different) experiences than mine, so I like to share my experience during the last 2 years. Thanks. :)
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hey Ed, you are not alone! I am an architect working with customers on designing their "dream" homes and every one of them use houzz to source images and materials! It's a great resource for us "professionals" too! I'm glad you found houzz, it's never too late to find a new path!
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    10 years ago
    Hi Everyone,

Travis Robert Renovations, LLC is a Bergen County NJ based general contracting company specializing in high end renovations.

At TRR we place an intense focus on our clients goal. We are passionate about creating a space that is unique and exciting for our clients. Whether a client is seeking a redesign, remodel, or their custom dream home, Travis Robert Renovations strives to provide the best customer experience from start to finish.

We truly love what we do!

We have found houzz to be a valuable source for clients to browse.

www.TravisRobertRenovations.com
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hi- no pro here, just a love of the field! I just want to comment so that I get updates on this thread to read the bio from someone in my area should they reply. Thanks for this post!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    @Mary Poulos Interior & Exterior Design...Thank you so much, that is a wonderful compliment, much appreciated!!
  • PRO
    Bens General Contracting Corp.
    10 years ago
    Hey All,
    This is a great Idea. A great forum for professionals.
    I am pres. of Bens general contracting corp.. I am married with a 16 year old Son.
    I started my business in 1980 and our services range from residential renovations to larger commercial projects. We are based on long island in New York. Currently we are doing flood repairs from Hurricane Sandy. The devastation is incredible. We have been extremely busy since the storm but it is bitter sweat. the enthusiasm of our clients is not there since they are forced to remodel instead of doing it by choice. It is sad to see. on the up side we have worked on a few volunteer projects for those less fortunate and we have helped local volunteer organizations and churches as much as we can. The pleasure of seeing people come home is unmatched. enclosed is a picture of my driveway before the power went out. the water rose 3' from here!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yoiur welcome Jayme- I just found these discussions 2 days ago and I am addicted I tell you!! Thanks to all the contributors, this site is AMAZING!
  • PRO
    Ora Penn Design
    10 years ago
    Guess I'll join the discussion.

After a ten year career as a high school history teacher, I took a year off to stay home and raise my third son. While on sabbatical from teaching a kitchen renovation project motivated a career change. I realized that I had a passion for decorating and therefore went back to school and earned a degree in Interior Design.

My personal design style favors a clean and open look featuring classic contemporary furniture with rounded lines. In my design projects I create visual interest by using intriguing materials, layering textures and introducing eye catching accent pieces. My color palletes are typically close to nature with bright splashes of color used to create focal points.

Ora Penn Design is a full service Interior Design firm catering to all design aesthetics. My goal is to enrich lives by creating spaces that are elegant, innovative and functional. I am committed to providing clients with creative, insightful design advice and excellent service. I will deliver a beautiful end product on budget that reflects my clients personal taste and style and will guide you through every step of the decision making process.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Very good idea OnePlan. It even gives us the basic information to know if we should write to each other with a 'he' or a 'she'. It would be nice if the initiator of the thread would also gives us that information.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's a good point Suzanne ! Maybe an idea of their general location too !! Especially if they are trying to source a product !
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    or just call our houzzer friend by his/her first name.

By the way, I'm Suzanne :). I am just passionate about design and decoration. I started to read about the threads and just could not resist to comment on some of the threads. This web site is very addictive. I love it, it just great place to learn a lot. This gives me the opportunity to tell you (as many of you have already guessed) that I am a francophone and sometimes use long, strange or funny ways to express my-self. I must say, it embarrasses me sometimes but the pleasure to comment on some of the threads is stronger than my embarrassment :)
  • PRO
    Homestead Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Excellent idea Karen from OnePlan, thank you for getting this started!
    We are Homestead Kitchens, based out of Littleton Massachusetts, a full design, “light” remodel company who will create your dream kitchen, bathroom, laundry room or any other room that you’d like to put cabinetry in! We are a small company, currently two designers, one general contractor/project manager and 3 carpenters that work directly for us, one of whom has been with the company for over 20 years! Our primary focus is to provide the client with the best experience possible when working with us for their remodel. This has resulted in almost 90% of our jobs coming from direct client referrals!
    The founders of the company, designer Kate Connolly and installer/general contractor, Kevin Connolly started the business together in 2004. Kate has been in the kitchen industry since 1997, and is a CKD (certified kitchen designer) with a background in interior design. Kevin has been the owner of a successful remodeling company since 1987, with a concentration on kitchen remodel and custom cabinetry installation. My name is Maryanne Reynolds, and I am the other designer here! My background includes purchasing and sales at a lumber yard, and multiple customer service oriented jobs that led me to working for Homestead Kitchens, whose main concern is the client! The benefit of working with Homestead Kitchens is our unique team approach to design, we’ll all be familiar with your project, and we’re constantly bouncing ideas off each other to make sure they’ll not only look great but also provide the best function for your space. That team approach will apply here on Houzz as well, so as we answer questions it may be Kate, myself or Kevin who gives the response.
    We’re excited by the possibilities Houzz has already given us to expand on our business, and look forward to working with new clients in “crafting kitchens, making homes”.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi everybody,
    Nice to meet you all.
    My name is Carolina. I'm trying not to become a Houzz-addict and failing miserably. I'm Dutch, live in the Netherlands with husband, three dogs, three cats, three horses, more than three chickens and one cuddly pig called Nufnuf.
    I have been very interested in design all my life. Really. All my life. While other little girls played with their Barbie dolls, I was drawing floor plans of my dream homes.
    I used to own a shop with interior decorations and art and did the styling of my own shop and of a couple of other shops. I'm a trained garden designer and florist. But I'm now just trying to keep our own rather large garden under control. And I take care of the hairy and feathery bunch and of our home. I'm also an avid photographer.

What I love about Houzz is that I learn a lot about design from other Houzzers and it gives me the opportunity to be creative. I hope to give people ideas that will result in them being happier with their living space.
    (Plus that I get to do a lot of virtual shopping. Yay!)
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I am not sure if it is the best discussion to make a suggestion but I will throw it here. I hope I won't make enemies. It is surely not my intention. I think it is a constructive suggestion and hopefully people will see it that way too. I know, sometimes we really want to make a suggestion out of the good intention of being helpful, but the thread is too long to read all the comments (I feel that way sometimes). So what I suggest is to read, at least, all the comments from the initiator of the discussion, it may tell you about what have been previously suggested and what is the opinion of the initiator. It will also make you understand why some of the suggestions is not working for him/her. Again, it is not out of bad intention, I am saying this, it is only because I think it is a good compromise to say our opinion without being too off of what the initiator wants and not having to read 200 comments.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Seems a good idea to me !!! Thank you for sharing !!!
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    What a great idea, Karen: I tried something similar a few months ago, but you worded it much better! Definitely one to book-mark.

I'd also love to know roughly which state, or weather zone, images are taken in, as climate has such a big impact on construction details like insulation, or managing water, etc.

I do love my Houzz. I live in Canada on a farm which we're renovating slowly, with the help of a wonderful low-key local contractor, and I am learning TONS from studying Houzz.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi, I am Karen of Karen Paul Interiors, currently living in Newport Beach, Ca. I began my "design" career 40 years ago in the Washington, D. C./Metro area. I was ten years the Director of Design for Vanleigh Furniture, NY and Bethesda, Md. I simulatenously was the owner of the Washington Design Collaborative. I say simultaneously because I wore both hats at one time, I was fortunate to have Pierre Bartet as my fearless and trusting leader at Vanleigh and negotiated a win/win situation that I would bring business and I would specify whenever possible what the company had to offer. We ultimately had business from the embassies, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Howard Hughes, Speaker of the House, Senators, Congressmen, Lobbyists and just plain old good, well-heeled clients. I retired at age 59 and came to California to be with two of my three children. I have been in and out of retirement several times. When I first came to California I worked with an Antiques store and learned everything there is to know about "old stuff"... furniture and "smalls". I had so much fun I decided to have my own space, and had a blast learning how to buy and sell. I didn't care much there was little profit as I could "decorate" my space several times a week. When business was taken away with E-bay, I decided to use my people skills and as a lark, I decided to become a matchmaker. I had a wonderful time but the company I was working with was bought out and I didn't like the new owners. Prior to my early years, I learned to mix paint by hand (long before the computers) and was able to match anything that didn't move off the table. So, I had a huge learning curve as I had no prior experience with paints, but my Father decided to buy me a paint store, and so that's how that happened. This was long before Vanleigh. Since I've been in California, I would ply my trade here and there but I was never happy with the clientele. They seemed to follow each others' cues and were not fearless in their design efforts. How I ended up in Orange County rather than LA is yet another story, but I won't go on. I got back into the bidness when our Association asked me to "do" one of the buildings, and from there it just kept moving forward. I wish I were all about the money, but unfortunately that has never been important to me. I've done very well however, as I also taught myself to be a "trader" (of stocks). It looks as though I'll most likely get back in full tilt as I've done the crusin', gambling, partying (giving them), open houses, etc., and now I'm getting bored again. What is it about designers? We are SO restless. Someone mentioned not too long ago they felt "empty" when they were not fully engaged in a project. Man, can I relate! I love Houzz and use if for my clients on a regular basis. I've really enjoyed getting to know other Pros and DE's. I'm always amazed at how much I don't know and so I very much enjoy learning on a continuous basis.

Karen, this is a great idea and I hope everyone chimes in. Would love to see this thread go to the "thousands".
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    This is a great thread - thanks so much for starting it!

My name is Kate. I am an architect and interior designer in L.A. and teach in two Interior Design programs. My husband is an artist (being an artwife is an education in itself) and we have two nearly grown daughters. I started out working construction as a kid and took the long way round (via an international commune school, a Great Books program, motherhood, graduate school and non-stop work) to licensing and certification. Along the way, I have also been lucky enough to stumble onto some really plum projects of various non-residential types, which is great, because, like you said, Karen Paul, I am easily bored.

I think being easily bored is a good quality for a designer to have because good design has to hold your interest (so, if it can hold MY interest, it's probably at least got something going on.) For me, the project needs to have a good problem and poetry too. As someone who came to the field through all kinds of Real Life, I expect my spaces to work beautifully on lots of levels so that the people who live and work in them are delighted every day.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bump !
  • Shari P Kantor
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone,

My name is Shari Kantor. The S in SPKCreative is for my first name, the P is for my maiden name, and the K is for my married name. I am a self-taught abstract artist who has been painting for more than 25 years. My very supportive husband has learned that I view every blank surface as canvas and I will paint at anytime on pretty much anything. I really want to paint the barriers along nearby highways, but I know I can't:( I usually use acrylics and watercolors, but I have been known to use makeup, glass, gemstones, shells, metal and sand (I can play in both Sephora and Dick Blick for hours on end). I do not paint every day--I have to be in a happy, calm mood--so I create stationery, fabric and wallpaper based on already existing paintings just to see what I can come up with. I also do a bit of color consulting for my clients.

I am currently a very displaced Jersey Girl, but have easel, will travel:) I love the ocean, but the mountains are starting to grow on me. My trees dance, my sand tends toward pink and my water and skies are not usually blue, and I'm looking forward to discovering how my mountains turn out.

I love Houzz because the friendly community and discussions inspire some of my paintings and give me unique design ideas. My style is eclectically transitional; I'm always willing to go for something really cool like Polart or Sicis, but my hubby is a harder sell. I'm kind of a klutz, so my dream home is one level with a lot of rounded corners--less tripping and bruising hazards, lol--and designed and decorated by Houzz Pros.

Have a happy day:)

Best,
    Shari

spkcreative@gmail.com

Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com/
    SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
    SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    My first Design Dilemma was at age twelve. My family loved to do summer furniture refinishing projects. They found a sweet 3-piece bedroom set for me - spindle bed, dresser and chest. They wanted to stain it maple and I wanted it painted white - they won and it turned out to be an awful orange! I had to live with it through high school and hated it. In college I would go a few days before the sorority house opened, get the cleaning crew to let me in, and I'd pick a room and decorate. We had to flip rooms every six weeks, and everyone wanted to draw my room in the exchange. I have always decorated "in my head" and began doing re-design for friends and clients of my former art business. They'd buy art and we'd redecorate around it. Started to be more professional a few years ago as the "Re-Design Doctor," doing re-design, staging and some visual merchandizing. Now I get my fix on HOUZZ. My husband and I live on five acres in the country where we garden, raise chickens and indulge two very spoiled cats. I also manage vacation rental properties, compose praise and worship music, and sell J.R. Watkins natural and gourmet products. Always have been a multi-tasker, but hardly ever get to speak French, the focus of my bachelor's and master's degrees. Love HOUZZ and was pleased when asked to serve on the Advisory Committee. You guys and gals are awesome, and I really appreciate the opportunity to be here and to have been received so well. I'm learning a lot from the real professionals at HOUZZ.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Oops! My business card didn't attach the first time! And I guess it isn't going to do so. Sorry! Probably a format issue. Will try to update later.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone, absolutely love Houzz and all it has to offer. I'm a Canadian visual artist with a body of work that mainly consists of Contemporary Beach Ocean, Landscape paintings & fine art prints. I'm honored to be a part of a truly outstanding group of professionals. Indeed an ongoing learning experience!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Oh, here's my card, now in jpeg.
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    Hello Houzzers!

I'm Michael, Owner of ReSquare Architecture & Construction.

I'm a Long Island (NY) native, former New Englander (CT) and now live in Los Angeles, CA. A first generation American of French/Russian parents, English is my native tongue but I am also fluent in French & Russian and I can get by in Spanish on the job site. My passion and devotion to building and environmental stewardship have fostered a career as an Architect and Builder committed to excellence in design, construction and sustainability. I hold a Bachelor's degree with a major in Fine Arts (sculpture) and Engineering (structural) from Dartmouth College and a Master's degree (Architecture) from Columbia University. I practiced architecture in New England for a little over 15 years where I was licensed in five states and ran my own practice out of New Haven, CT. In the 2008 crash I "went west" where I acquired CA licenses for Architecture and General Contractor and opened my current design/build practice in Los Angeles.

ReSquare Architecture and Construction, ( http://resquare.biz ) based on the west side of Los Angeles, is focused on providing custom architectural design, building and construction management solutions tailored to discerning homeowners looking to elevate their living environment and lifestyle. The advantage of ReSquare’s design/build approach for any building or renovation project is the unification of design and construction under one roof. Client consultation is made in the context of years of training in design and construction, and the understanding of the complexity inherent in the union of both disciplines. We tailor our services to clients to encompass one, the other or both disciplines as they and their projects demand.

New to Houzz, I got here as a result of several clients using the site to show me where they were going with their ideas for the projects we were working on. Fun site! I am impressed by the number of "enthusiasts" and the wealth of ideas and support you all give and receive. In my experience design is a very personal thing and I need to know my client well before I can give them the best design advice I can. Given that, I generally shy away from the design discussions, but want you all to know it's not for lack of interest! The one best thing I do think we as Design pros can do for you here is send up a flag when we think you're going to need one. Some things really can't be done right (or in many cases safely) unless you have a pro hired locally to walk you through it and many times unless you're a pro, you don't know you need one.

Feel free to contact me privately if you need any specific advice, otherwise, I'll see you all out there! :-)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ... Bump
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ... Bump again ! Too many good peeps still to add themselves to this !!!
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    I have always been interested in Interior Design but did not pursue a design degree until my daughter started elementary school. I could never have gotten through school and ALL the design projects in those years without a lot of help from my husband! My 25 year career as a designer was in the commercial design field but I have always enjoyed residential design as well. Currently my husband and I are enjoying retirement and doing "what we want to do" ! Houzz has been a great way for me to continue to be creative and it's always rewarding to help others!
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    10 years ago
    Hi all I'm Carolyn from Brampton, Ontario. It's nice to read the bios and meet everyone who is so committed to décor and design. I studied Interior Decorating at Sheridan College about 30 years ago - yikes, I think I was 10 - a real prodigy :-) Kidding aside, it's a wonderful time to be in this field with all of the new technology, resources and product available to us. Like Keitha I started when my children were small. I remember having to design and water colour render a 2500 square foot house for our final project and now it's almost all done on the computer.

A "Diva" I'm not. For me my job is about helping my clients create spaces that reflect them, who they are, where they have been and how they live. Helping them to define what they want and show them how to achieve it. The process is a collaboration and usually involves a team of contractors, trades and suppliers who all value the same commitment to providing exceptional, professional and timely service, whether it be a small or large budget.

I guess it stands to reason that since my second passion is cooking my favourite spaces to design are kitchens. Creating a kitchen that not only looks good, but works and is a pleasure to be in is a great sense of accomplishment.

I don't profess to know everything there is about design but I do know where to find the answers and am definitely a pit bull when it comes to a challenge. Not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse, but my mind doesn't stop exploring the possibilities until we find the best possible solution. It's definitely a profession where you are always learning, revaluating, exploring new possibilities and ideas and growing.

I feel privileged to have worked with so many wonderful people over the years, as clients and associates and have made many lifelong friends through the process. My clients range from Baby Boomers who are downsizing and starting on a new path in their lives to young urban professionals who are just starting their lives and families.

I look forward to learning and seeing all of the new projects here on Houzz and wish you all well.

I'd also like to thank OnePlan for starting the post. It's a pleasure to meet so many like minded people.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ... bump !
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    I am loving this thread! It is nice to have stories to go with the names I see repeatedly in discussions.

This is a second career for me. After a very satisfying 20-year career in medicine as an anesthesiologist, I decided to follow a life-long passion for decorating and design. I started out in real estate staging and re-design, and then continued on to design school. Last year I received my certification in Interior Design. My business was slow to start, but I am finally getting referrals and momentum. I am based out of Denver, Colorado.

My favorite clients want beautiful homes but need a bit of guidance. I love how every situation is unique. It's like solving a great puzzle, figuring out the perfect design solution for each client. It is such a privilege to be allowed into people's homes and to hear their stories. I loved being a doctor, but hearing from clients, "I love my home now" after a design job is infinitely more satisfying. My friends jokingly comment, "Hey, Nancy, now you're making house calls".

Thank you fellow Houzzers for sharing your insights and wisdom on this site. Design requires a pretty vast fund of knowledge and your comments are highly educational. Fun every step of the way. Happy designing!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thought I'd give this a bump again !! :-)
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    So glad you did....what a great thread!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The original meet the Houzzers thread !! Thought I'd give it a bump !
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    This is my way to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR with 1st: Health, 2nd: Happiness; 3rd: Friendship and Love; 3rd: Giving and receiving good advice and 4th: I must admit a little more money ;)
    Welcome to all new Houzzers!!
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Happy New Year to everyone! And what suzanne_m said :-)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Double ditto !!! ;-)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Think that's the wrong link Jayson ?