Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krf10

Deciding on this art? And corner space?

krf10
11 years ago
Help! Do I need something in this corner? Also are the metal pieces too much? Lastly, I need rug color ideas for dining room? This is a great room so both rooms are together....

Comments (418)

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok here is what I did with table :/)

Cleaned my curtains and they are fine
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Table scape is a great first pass! It adds a nice daytime shimmer and must be lovely in the evenings too . .

Happy for you re: cat issue!

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

Will you try one small thing....put the candle sticks together. They are so pretty, but when I see them this way, I feel like it looks like a dining table. If you try it and post back, I might change my mind and know this way is just perfect!!! Love the bowl on the bottom!!!

• tlparks
    9 years ago

I agree abbyjean, but one step further. I would place on of them on a stack of books to elevate it and not have everything on the same level.

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

I was even wondering about the height of the actual candle being different? But they are such pretty candles. Here is a hint here, too....and I know the evening shimmer was mentioned, but even if you never burn them, light the wick and blow it out, so it looks like it instead of having it brand new. Do that on all your candles......scary, I know, when they are bought as decor, but makes a huge difference.

If you were going to elevate on a book, it would need to be a big special coffee table book.

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Candle stick and NO floral arrangement in middle?

Where would book(s) go? Underneath the two candle sticks so 1 large book?
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Without floral arrangement
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

I think tiparks wanted to change the elevation of just one candle stick so they did not match that way. Worth a try to elevate and group....... BUT I do like the floral arrangement. You need that and it is a breath of fresh air/spring!!!

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

Angle the candle sticks over the very edge of the bowl underneath....to the side a bit.

• tlparks
    9 years ago

I agree with abbyjean. Move both candlesticks to the left, elevate one of them, and put flowers back on table. Then send pic. And, definitely, light candles for a bit to get a natural look to them. I always do that to my new candles. Then repost pic?

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok this isn't the book id use, I am thinking more black and white feux book, but for sake of showing u....
    I wasn't sure which way book should go?

Also, Z gallerie does have a taller candle holder same thing, just taller .... Would that work?
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, also, what about pillows on love seat? Yay? Nah? More neutral pillows vs blue?
  • tlparks
    9 years ago

Getting close. Move the right candlestick over to the front and a little left of the other one, and move the flowers to the right a bit. The bowl underneath should be the only centered item in the grouping. Then repost pic.

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

No reason to buy a different stick if you can make them different on your own. And not sure you would want to go taller on the actual stick, either. But see how nice the varied height looks in the pic you posted from online?

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

You are basically making ONE grouping with all the objects, book and flowers included. They need to be close enough to relate to each other and not scattered. That is ok, as no reason to fill in the top with such nice stuff underneath to look at.

Off for a bit, but anxious to look back.........

• MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I like the pillows and the brown throw you added to the loveseat because it ties in the brown from the dining area and from painting and chair. Maybe add some brown pillows to sofa. I'm including a mock up with walls a light blue gray to give you a visual.
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I'll try that!!

Any suggestions on love seat?
  • tlparks
    9 years ago

leave love seat as is. brown in the afghan

• MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Agree, leave loveseat as is.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

Brown on the sofa came to my mind right away....just a smidgeon for the art right above it.

• tlparks
    9 years ago

krf10, have you tried tabletop dressing as suggested?

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    May I be honest? Not a big fan of dark drape color ( I'd go light and neutral.), metal work (look like black holes) and sofa art work. Never been a fan of placing a rug on rug.
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I went back to get the faux Paris B&W book and it's gone:-( Now I need to check a few more places boo!
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @miscometlady-i did make many changes since the original post :-)
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I tried the leveling with my old book, is this correct?
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oops here
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago

What a journey, ay! Think about adding the 3rd, tallest candlestick and grouping the together. You could use more height in the center of the room.

Or, place a book[s] on the shelf below the table - in jackets in colors from your painting. Forcythia [sp?], pussy willows, etc. are in season now, so a bunch of those would be nice on the table top.

Also, add a punch of color on the table. Could use more of that too in the center. As it stands, the all-neutral palette is rather flat. Try the silver bowl on a few thin, large books, that have a dark colored cover - bring a deep color from your painting to the tabletop - like above pic.

This spot is key and needs to be more dramatic.

• tlparks
    9 years ago

Yes, what Sandy said, but try moving the current two candle sticks to the left and the flower to the right. The bowl underneath will b the center of the visual arrangement.

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

Right. Not that nothing can be on the center of the table top, but everything in the middle on top and bottom does not look right. Scooting the candle sticks over and off centering those will be perfect. I might even keep the flowers with them, and almost make an invisible triangle. And then the other, maybe 2/3, of the table top will be empty/blank. Room for a wine glass or two when you enjoy Happy Hour in there.

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wait I do not see Sandys comment!!

I'm at work now but will try the suggestions when I get home. Now I'm obsessed again LOL
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

Oh, good.....I thought I was going bonkers as I could not see what Sandy said, either, and I love seeing her advice on here.

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sandy, finally see you comment, that was so weird!

• PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago

Good - I don't think I am invisible although there are probably some who would like it that way! Ha!

Just wanted to find some examples that show you how it works when the hues from your artwork on the wall are pulled around the space. This is true of all inspirational pieces. Use them for all they are worth!

For you, it is the most colorful thing here and it is there for a reason. It is a simple, logical way to pull things together. The dusty colors you are working with are very relaxing and the room as a whole is more relaxing when you choose elements that are harmonious. Guests might not know why they love being here but you know. It's because there is nothing that is "off".

You have patiently worked so hard in your home over the last 11 months and have changed this space a ton! Thanks for being on Houzz with your dilemma . . . !

• krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I found this tray-It looks pretty in person-grouped items together and will be returning one candle holder for the taller one.

Also I am feeling this painting may not work in my room now??? With all the soft neutrals I have and love that calming feeling in here. What if I did a big decorative mirror? Or any suggestions on a different softer art piece? A secret is, I paid $30 for that painting so not married to it :/)
  • krf10
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I tried placing books on the new living room table, but it just doesn't look right when you're in person staring at it. So I purchased this tray, it looks nice in person however from the photo it looks scrawny.

I would really like the new painting, I feel the painting now compete with the beautiful table. Thoughts? Thinking a beautiful decorative mirror, or a very subtle painting with blues creams etc.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I feel a mirror would compete with the table more than the painting because it's another reflective surface. What I like about the current art is it has brown that ties in with the brown furniture in DR.
  • lwaylett
    9 years ago

You might want to check out this website. I ordered a painting from Lena and it was quite a pleasurable process - easy and you end up with an original hand-painted piece of artwork! I bet you can find something you really like. Look through them all... http://www.artbylena.com/art-subject.html

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

Looking at your room with the new table and tray.....and the art....and I have to say, I LOVE IT ALL! I think you are THERE! I like the art, just as MarleneM mentioned.

• krf10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok so we finally painted!!! And I had to change that painting because it just wasn't siting well with me now that I have my beautiful new living room table. I have grown to love a very neutral tones :-)

• MarleneM
    8 years ago
    Oh Kari, it's just beautiful! Great job!
  • krf10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Really!!! Thank you SO much!!

• MarleneM
    8 years ago
    Yes, your living room looks soft and inviting, while the new coffee table and light fixture add sparkle to the space.
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago

Very elegant and tranquil...well done.

• krf10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Marlene and miacometlady

• krf10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK houzer friends!!!!! I'm back!!!

We have finally gotten new flooring, French Grey laminate and I LOVE it. But now in need new curtains! Help!! Right now they are beige .....

We still have to finish staircase and family room flooring.....

• krf10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also I'd love a new dining room light?

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Gosh, darn! How fun to see you posting again! Maybe not for YOU as it means you are working, but I love following along on your adventure. Those floors? AMAZING! I love them and all they added to your space.

• krf10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much!!!! ❤️

• krf10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have brand new floors throughout our house now! It’s been so much fun watching my rooms transform:-)if it wasn’t for Houzz I’d still have that hideous room and no idea how to decorate!!! now I am bored and wanted to change up the items on my living room table. I will keep the tray and the candle pieces, but any ideas on something new I could put on table?

• Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

Following

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!