Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debt2309

When to paint and when to stain crown and base molding?

11 years ago
Remodeling major part of home. Added hardwoods and opened walls and ceiling. Stain and paint are about to begin. Still struggling with where to put crown and should I stain to match wood or paint some version of white. HELP,

Comments (13)

• PRO
    11 years ago
    Since you just opened some ceiling space and walls (I assume to get a more open, roomy feel), I would suggest painting the wall trim and crown molding white to match the walls. Although a stained trim gives a very ornate look similar to what your beautiful new kitchen looks like, it will draw attention to where the ceiling and floor begin and end. Anything darker, in contrast to white, will draw your eye toward it and may give you a closed off feel. I've given you two images contrasting dark and white crown molding so you can get an idea. Hope this helps!!
  • 11 years ago
    We opened a wall to bring dining room space into kitchen and previous space had multiple ceiling heights so we made them all 10'.
    Cabinets and floor are going to be medium stain with cabinets slightly darker with glaze.
    Was hoping to put some color on the walls and ceiling, but as your photos show, it's not that easy.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    crown will only be in the kitchen?
  • 11 years ago
    Also, these walls are only textured and not painted yet.
  • 11 years ago
    Crown is planned to start at front door and go above windows, around all of kitchen and in the new dining area. No lights and its now dark. I'll post a better picture in morning. Any suggestions
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    stain the crown a painted crown will look solitary with nothing to tie it down. Beautiful kitchen love the detail
  • 11 years ago
    I had planned to stain but talked out of it by a decorator. Felt I should paint crown and trim a white to compliment walls and new vinyl windows. But after looking at HOUZZ pictures of other that have done this I don't think I like the look at all. Thanks
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What color is the stain going to be ? Add color with the walls you said the windows are vinyl?
  • 11 years ago
    Waiting on samples so don't have specific names. But new hardwood floor is quarter sawn red oak to be stained a light to medium. Kitchen cabinets and dining area hutch similar color stain but then glazed a bit darker with a mocha glaze. Island is painted antique white and mocha glaze. Wall color not set yet put suggested a sheer win Williams macadamia goldish beige. Vinyl window trim is beige.
    Base trim on stained wood floor?
    Crown molding?
    2 patio doors and a pocket door and the door casings?
    So much to decide
    New lighting is bronze
    Granite on island attached and dark leathered granite on cabinetry
    Any thoughts
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Do the stain on the crown and base funny I was going to suggest macadamia for the walls
  • 11 years ago
    Planning to use macadamia for ceiling too and probably can't tell by pictures but letting crown end in 2 corners after coming down angled ceiling. No crown across sink wall.
  • 9 years ago
    We are building a new open concept home. Believe I want crown and base boards stained, especially in the kitchen. The wood in the cabinets is cherry with more of a brown stain that red. To me the crown should match the cabinets. I have always preferred that if crown was stained then baseboards and trim should be stained also. Problem is my husband really wants wood doors. If we stain them like the trim, everything will be seem too dark. The wood floor is natural walnut. The builder has suggested doing all the crown, baseboards and trim to match the cabinets. Suggested staining doors and windows to match the floor. The wall color is SW amazing grey and is beautiful up against the cabinets and floor. Could you weigh in? Haven"t seen pictures of this suggested combo.