Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livinginthebubble

Revisiting altering roof line and adding portico/covered patio

livinginthebubble
10 years ago
About a year ago I posted a design dilemma regarding changing my front porch while undergoing a roof tearoff. Long story short, several reputable roofing co's said my roof could last through a few more winters. the project was temporarily put on hold. This allowed me to do more research for the project. In the meantime, a squirrel chewed a hole in the roof and a hail storm damaged the white unsightly front gable. So, project is back to the forefront. Goals: 1) New roof with 2) adding a portico (or similar) to provide coverage over the existing front porch or 3) removing the gable all together and adding new roof line to provide a covered seating area. City code restricts new footings to be placed no further forward than 3 feet from the current end of the front porch (4ft x 7 ft). First three pictures are my house. The other attached pictures are from the Houzz website that are my inspiration. Clean slate for landscape once roof project is completed. Keeping current wood door but adding Crestview door square glass inserts. Storm door will be gone. I'm also looking into changing the white windows to a color matching the mortar. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry, can't figure out how to include my inspiration photos from my ideabook on this post... computers are not my "thing". I really like the front elevation makeover Blue Stone Woodworks did on their midcentury modern. Would that shed roof look ok on my current house if the gable were to be removed?

Comments (4)

• livinginthebubble
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Attached some inspiration photos. Uncertain if city code restrictions of advancing any new footings by only 3 feet would make the addition of a portico or porch worthwhile? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    rim3292--Perhaps the equally important question is how far are you allowed to project a roof overhang into a front yard setback. A portico without an overhang is somewhat naked at the face, just as with what you have presently. At best, it appears the 'portico' would project a total of about 5' from the line of the (recessed) door to the column line (perhaps only 4' from the window wall line). That would provide better cover at the door itself, but it would be tight for anything beyond a 2 top table and a couple of chairs, to the left, in front of the window, which would require moving plants and adding some hardscape, and frankly, it would be very tight for circulation in and around those chairs. 6' from the face of the window wall would be better to seat 2, and really you need about 8' of cover to seat 4 comfortably under cover. I suggest using painter's tape and a measuring tape along with a couple of chairs, and mock up a floor layout on the concrete slab in your garage. That will help you visualize the size you will get for the the effort required. I hope this helps you.
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    No offense to the Houzzers out there, but I would suggest that you hire an architect who can very quickly provide sketches for different options and then convert the chosen scheme to construction drawings that you will need in order to get a building permit and have a contractor build it.
  • livinginthebubble
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. A local architect provided a sketch, leaving the gable as is (with new siding) and adding a very small front porch projection, just enough to shade the front door so the door handle won't be too hot to touch in the summer (west facing door without sun protection). I was hoping for more of a "wow" factor with this sketch. I'm researching other architects as well to hire for more sketches, hoping to get a little more flair and function.