Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamieleenovak

Need Help With Living Room Layout - getting all new furniture

Jamie Novak
10 years ago
We are replacing our old carpet with hardwood floors and getting new furniture to update the room. But I am not sure how to layout the room. We have an entertainment center we can keep or move to the basement. We are thinking of getting 2 couches and a new TV to put above fireplace. But also considering keeping entertainment center upstairs, which would limit us to one couch and some chairs and/or Loveseat. This also requires we have 2 focus points. To boot, we have an awkward half wall in the mix.

Should we reduce to one focal point or try to manage to 2? Can we put a a couch against the half wall? If we move the entertainment center and have the 2 matching couches, what should I put on the walls where the entertainment center used to be?

Comments (76)

• elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I am commenting as if I were standing on the stairs looking down.

I would empty the room of everything except the entertainment center. (Even the two boats in on the window ledge).

For the cutout opening, use shutters like your other windows and bring the shutter down to the to match the window next to it. The new sofa will go in front of that, but pulled away from it a bit.

I would purchase one sofa, four chairs, a new large round ottoman for the coffee table, two new end tables, lamps and an area rug

Two chairs by the fireplace with floor lamps, two chairs where your beige sofa is now. I am concerned if you do a sectional you will have to walk all the way around it from the kitchen to get into your seating.

So, something like this picture…sofa facing unit, two chairs coming from the kitchen and two more chairs by the fireplace.
    Hip Living Room · More Info
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The color on the walls (other than the ugly blue) are a very pale tan with warmer undertones. Really more of a warm off white if that makes sense. But was considering a light gray (I tested the light grey on the wall with the round mirror)
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Judyg! Do you think it would be a good idea to close that opening into the kitchen? We had explored removing the wall below it but that just feels more awkward to me. I hate the lack of balance and uneven lines on that wall.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You could take dn part of opening wall go to top of door jam. The a foot from window. Remove. would give you a open room look. You still float sec out about a foot from opening. If you don't want to do that. Which will make your room look bigger dry wall both sides and paint.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    No, I don't think it would feel too closed off because you have the huge doorway opening! It is an inexpensive fix and easy to try. If you don't have furniture sliders, make some by cutting the bottoms off of plastic milk and juice jugs. Take some measurements first to make sure it will cover the opening but it looks do-able to me! Love to see the results of the "flip!" Hope you'll post it as soon as you have some muscle to help with the switch. If you like it there are solutions for the back that shows through to the kitchen. You can cover with luan or beadboard panel and paint, upholster using fabric, padding and upholstery tacks, simply stretch fabric over it and tack - you decide what works for you. You can also hang art on the back side for interest on the kitchen side of it.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All of you have been amazingly helpful with awesome ideas! Thank you soooo much! I will definitely post pictures of the final room to this discussion.

I love this site - thank you Houzz!
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I know I'm late but I just had to jump in with another idea :)
    Inspiration pic

Jenkins Baer Associates · More Info
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You are not late! I go tomorrow to order the furniture which is when I have to finalize plans. Thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Secret Hidden Treasures
    10 years ago
    I would recommend the following:
    Here is our link http://www.secrethiddentreasures.com/vgdm2936.html we have a large selection you can choose from.
  • Lisa Angeli
    10 years ago
    Love the idea of a sectional. I would place it in the room, facing the TV, but away from the wall. Keeping a traffic pattern able to walk around the back of the couch to the fireplace to the TV. I would keep the couch style light weight and low backed,so as not to over whelm the room. I would replace the kitchen thru way with a granite top with an over hang ( making it a bar) and tuck away stools to be used as extra seating. I would place a small table ( w/ chess set) in corner left of the fireplace along with two light weight side chairs.
    I would hang a fun bold printed panels on either far side of the windows. Hang them in the corners only and High.
    The Fireplace needs to POP. Either give it a picture with a handsome/ bold frame and Hang it, or balance the accessories with a bit more color.
    If $$ allows change the facing of the fireplace tile. Give it a deeper color. I would suggest changing the coffee table to a much smaller and rectangular shape. Whatever you decide to do with the entertainment center, make sure the piece of furniture you chose has style and is beautiful.
  • piddlesshrek
    10 years ago
    Let us know how this turns out! I'd really like to know what you have decided on. I like the 4 chairs and 1 sofa idea said earlier. No entertainment center unless you could inset it into the wall to make it a built in and I would love to see that pass through either opened up all the way or closed up.
    Can't wait to see what you decide and how it comes out.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    JAMIELEE, I am the same way about balance, so I would fill in the wall. deco has reminded you of the large doorway. Hang a sheets over it on both sides and see how it feels.
  • PRO
    Cure for Bare Walls, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of an amazing sectional along with the entertainment center for storage and a nice size television. Fireplaces are always an amazing focal point to display a stunning piece of original artwork to assist in pulling the room together. The art can incorporate accent colors from pillows and accessories etc.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Just saw comment on adding matching shutters to opening. That would work to. Then move sec 2 ft towards TV.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love all of the suggestions! As much as the sectional was a popular choice, I went ahead and ordered a cool sofa and plan to get 4 chairs. I like the idea of keeping the opening area to the room very open with chairs. Sofa will be dove grey velvet; haven't found the chairs yet. We are going to test covering the opening to see if we like it (I will because i like balance- question is will the hubby). Chances are - my vote has more weight... :). The blue wall will be painted the same color as the other walls. We are going to look for a very striking piece of art for the fireplace, and move everything else (all furniture, the large plants) out of the room. Found a couple mercury glass lamps already, but looking for floor lamps still. We decided to keep the entertainment there for now (uncluttered of course) but it may eventually move to finished basement ;) we should have our floors installed and new furniture in by the end of August so I will be posting an updated picture immediately after the sofa is delivered so you can see how all of your suggestions came to life! Thank you all for your guidance!!!,!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Good job. I know it will be great. Remember to keep chairs to scale. Same height on backs, not to tall. Swivel always good for viewing TV. Love mercury glass, can do coffee table in same. But end tables should be wood. With wod floors area rug in front of sofa. Like I said shag in a metallic silver would be Bruce. I like silk palms for to fill dead corners. You have very high ceilings, go very tall decor items. On coffee table use big wood or silver tray full with a basket of tall orchids. Same for firepl. Tall. Big bold art, very tall 5 ft on firepl. Stay with 2 accent colors. Use around room in pillows. Teal is great with gray, and use same for pint in chairs. Place furn, sofa facing TV away from wall. Coffee table 40 square. 2 chairs facing each other straight on don't angle. No tables between. A large 42" sunburst mirror would also work on firepl.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add a palm in front of each window by firepl. I'm thinking remove wall unit. Just doesn't work. Instead get a long low media center, west elm has one in reclaimed wood. Look on line, if you don't have store. Very nice. It's 5 ft long. Center with TV. You could put your boats on that also do groupings of odd numbers don't spread out things. End tables on each end of sofa only. west Elm has end table to match media center. On other end go dark wood and glass. Don't match tables.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    6x7 ft oil in bold colors would be great. I don't know how brave you are. But Chairs should all match. Go gray and black zebra, for some fun. Used this many times. People love it once its in room.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    thumbs up to travisinteriors! :)
  • dooders1981
    10 years ago
    Agree with comments. It sounds like it will be lovely. The gray sofa is a great idea.. Be very careful about too much beach theme. I've seen it over done many times. I think the second best thing you can do is declutter as several have suggested. Take all nick- knacks out and that includes on entertainment center, kitchen ledge, kitchen counters, fridge, tables etc.. And don't put anything back until new furniture is in place. Then add just a few strategic items and get rid of the rest or pack away. You will achieve the clean lines you are seeking. Best wishes. Nice room.
  • PRO
    Interior Design Solutions
    10 years ago
    I have been an interior designer for many years, and if there is any chance at all that you will be moving before your new furniture wears out, avoid a sectional. Sectionals that seem perfect in one home often either don't fit well or (because they are L-shaped) face in the wrong direction in the next one. Use either a pair of sofas or a one sofa or and a pair of club chairs (preferably on swivel bases, if you're going to watch TV), and "float" them around the fireplace. Either use an L-shaped layout (I'm having trouble uploading an example, but there's one in the Country House project on my profile), or parallel to each other (I'm going to upload a project with an example later today, Pre-war Apartment Renovation & Decoration). Both of these projects are already up on my company web site,
    www.interiordesignsolutions.com or www.idsny.com

One of the easiest way to determine a furniture layout is to measure the room (including openings for windows and doors), measure any furniture you are considering using, and draw everything to scale. You can use an inexpensive computer program or do it the old fashioned way, with a layout on graph paper and cut-outs representing the furniture, done to scale that you move around on the layout. And the very best way to see what would be most comfortable for you would be to move your existing furniture into the position(s) being suggested and try that out for a while. Then you'd know if the entertainment unit is crowding the space too much.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    She already brought a sofa. But I disagree on sectionals. True, sometimes hard to place in a new home. But, I believe you buy for the home you are in. If moving in a year, not a good investment . But, why worry about what you may do in 5-7 years. Decorate and enjoy your home now. In most cases, when people move they are ready for new furniture.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Definitely don't put that humongous TV over your fireplace. Your wall unit is very nice for the TV already.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I'm definitely late to the party and see you've purchased a sofa and plan to buy 4 chairs. I posted to see how it all turns out. I like your entertainment center and it sounds like it's staying:)
  • usergray
    10 years ago
    My suggestions....
    -1 focal point; put TV above f'place.
    -remove chairs from front of f'place....open up beautiful view and only put plants.
    -place couch, loveseat in same positions...pull coffee table closer to couch.
    -place 2 chairs /w round table between on cabinet wall.
    Major issue that I see is the eyes being pulled upwards from the floor to ceiling blue paint.
    -lower view so people's eyes pull to f'place and lower windows.
    -add trim molding on all 3 walls, then paint 1 more natural colour below, and complementary lighter colour above.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann - thank you for the inspiration pic - it's lovely!

It has been more than 6 months and I must admit - i am not done yet - but I am close. I still need 2 more chairs, a coffee table and 2 side tables. So far, I have gone mostly gray but am craving more teal, gold, silver and white. Unfortunately, I am also very indecisive because I find so many pieces beautiful...and they often exceed what I am willing to spend, since I know I will be constantly changing things.

On the plus side, I did find this canvas painting for inspiration - I just loved it right away. The diversity of color should allow me to change out accessories and pillows whenever the need for change strikes me.

So the questions that have prevented me from finalizing my choices:
    Should the coffee table be gold and glass?
    White and chrome?
    Mirror?
    What should the side tables be? (I would like them to be different from the coffee table).
    What shape and color of chairs?

I loved Travis' suggestion of zebra, just a little afraid I might tire of them - but maybe not.

The suggestions from Travis and you and many others on this site has been SO helpful!!
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few pics as promised! I will add a few more tomorrow when the lighting is better too.

We have completed the wood floors throughout the entire house (ourselves), sanded and painted the bannister (ourselves), added crown moulding and trim, added trim to door areas and 2nd level windows, painted every room on the main floor level, and installed new foyer lighting.

Thank you again to everyone who has provided guidance!

Usergray - I love your suggestion for placement of the chairs in front of the entertainment center. When we get ready to sell I will give that a try be amuse I think it would look very sharp (just not as functional for us at the moment) but now that you have suggested it - I wish I could do it now!
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ps-this rug is almost a 9ft by 12+ ft... The 10x14 would have covered all of the floor we worked so hard to install. So the last question is -should I turn it the other way, creating enough space in front of the fireplace for another rug (and thus having my couch properly n the rug)?

Also, here are a couple of the coffee tables I am considering. (I am craving white, gold, teal and silver for this room still).
  • sarabeth2
    10 years ago
    I have enjoyed following this transformation. What awesome changes you have made! Your house is beautiful. Stay warm now in this Ohio winter weather!
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    I must need therapy but I liked the before LOL. I miss your blue wall :(
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Looks great! I think the rug direction is fine as is. I like your first two coffee table choices - try to get one that is nearly two thirds the length of the sofa.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I tried a few things that Usergrey suggested -tell me what you guys think.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Oh, that looks very nice!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Better arrangement. The items not working for me are the container of sticks right of the media center and the too short garden stool. Here's a chart on sizing tables and lamps that might help. Use the garden stool to raise a plant like the ficus from that earlier corner photo.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both! I will try that next and take another photo. Besides a coffee table, anything else I should add for interest, pattern or texture?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I still think you'd gain by placing the TV center on the opposite wall so it covers the kitchen pass through. I don't care for the 3 openings in that corner (under stairs, to kitchen and the hole.) I guess if you want to watch TV from the kitchen it serves a purpose, but I'd rather gain the current TV wall for a sofa and art.
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Decoenthusiast - I totally agree with you on that passthru. I hate it, and have had multiple 'debates' with my husband over it. So now I am trying to decide the best way to cosmetically hide it without permanently filling it in.

I just taped up a curtain (2 different heights) to see how that might look. The other idea I had was to do something similar to what I have done with a painting in my dining room - paint a piece of Lewan some neutral color (dining piece is gold) and put a painting in the center of it (they come in 4 x 8 pieces - it would cover perfectly).

What would you vote for?
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    I think deco has a great idea...wouldn't the entire TV unit fit in front of the kitchen opening?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I'd love to see her try it, edithsmom. Furniture sliders to the rescue!
  • dooders1981
    10 years ago
    From the kitchen side you don't want to look at the back of furniture or TV!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Agree dooders, but jamie could put something on that kitchen side...I think she mentioned doing that elsewhere.
  • Margaret B
    10 years ago
    Have you considered plantation shutters in the passthru? Perhaps treating it like another window in the room? Beautiful room, nice transformation!
  • jpp221
    10 years ago
    Your room is great! I would hardly change a thing. I would consider replacing the two sofas with one sectional (and the room looks large enough that you might be able to pull it forward from the wall, perhaps putting a small shelf for console table between the two). The only other thing I would do is replace the two chairs with some that are smaller in scale. And I really like the entertainment center as is.

I'm not a fan of televisions over fireplaces. It still results in two focal points, just two that are above and below each other, and I'd rather have the two totally separated.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Another year old post.why Houzz
  • Jamie Novak
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I was going to look at deleting this once I showed the last final post (have since made more changes base on feedback). But haven't investigated since I am about a week away from being able to that. Your feedback Nancy Travisinteriors has been invaluable.
  • PRO
    HQTrunk
    9 years ago
    Chrome steel trunk style Side table and coffee table set .. You need it. Contact me if you like to buy it. Hqtrunk@aol.com
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Yes, we do want to see your final results.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago

I think you are off to a great start with this room!

When you have two strong focals points you have to be careful not to go too big on the scale on the furniture you select.

I would try to go with cleaner lines versus over stuffed chairs.

I offer design packages for a flat fee.. that means no mark up on the furniture. If I pay $2000 for a sofa thats your price. If you have questions feel fee to email me timothyriversinteriors@gmail.com

I also have tons of free advice on my blog timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• Pugga70
    6 years ago

No matter how old a post is, it will be able to help someone in some way. So they shouldn't be deleted. Although this is an old post, it still provided me with ideas. I am in the middle of a complete renovation of my home and will be ready to start decorating with furniture in about two months. Reading posts - whether current or old - on various topics relative to renovations and interior decorating have been very helpful.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz