Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ami_matt

Large format porcelain tile kitchen floor with Taj Mahal counters

A McSo
4 years ago

We're selecting flooring for a kitchen that opens (not open format) to a family room with medium brown (provincial) thin plank oak floors and a large Austin stone fireplace (floor to ceiling). Cabinets will be BM White Dove/SW Alabaster, walls will be SW Accessible Beige, countertops will be Taj Mahal (perhaps leathered vs. polished), simple cream crackle subway tile backsplash, and Eleganza Absolute Nut 18"x36" large format tile ( http://www.eleganzatiles.com/absolute-milk-18x36-1913.html)

for the kitchen floor. I know people are doing wood flooring throughout (yes, it is beautiful), but this flooring will also be in a utility room/laundry, a bathroom, an exercise room, etc. We would like it to be wet-friendly and practical. Does anyone have any experience with installing and living with large format tile? Is it too modern for a traditional/

transitional house? I've thought about selecting a LVT/LVP 'wood look' for these rooms as well, perhaps in a herringbone pattern, because it is impossible to perfectly 'match' the real wood in the adjacent family room. Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA!

This is the before picture of the kitchen/Family room:

This is the 'after' picture of the Family room (not open format, but open to kitchen, which is not yet done):

This is my closest after many, many attempts to find lvp/lvt to match the wood floors (it's not close enough to install side-by-side, so we're back to looking at Eleganza Absolute Nut large format tile...

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your renovation is fantastic. Love the fireplace. Transitioning floors from your FR to your kitchen and connected spaces can look great if chosen properly. A designer friend just did this in her tiny condo and it looks great. Let me see if I can find a photo. All white kitchen and flooring with hardwoods in all other downstair spaces. Transitional look.

A McSo thanked Jodie White Designs
  • missenigma
    4 years ago

LVP laid adjacent to natural wood never looks good. Your kitchen floor covers a large area which IMO tends to amplify the repeat pattern in LVP. Some of the most realistic LVP wood patterns I've seen are being produced by Karndean. But I'd stay with tile.

As an aside, was the existing kitchen floor real slate?

A McSo thanked missenigma
  • A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! It has been really hard to choose everything; there are so many beautiful choices... narrowing it down to only one is tough! If you could find her photo, that would be really helpful. We're thinking about the large format porcelain tile, with 1/8" grout, probably matching the paint color (lighter than the tile, but not white/off-white). I do really, really love hardwoods... just not in wet areas with kids/pets/bathrooms!

• lindastein
    4 years ago

following...

A McSo thanked lindastein
  • A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, the existing tile when we bought the house was real slate. I am very tempted to just work around it, but DH really, really dislikes it. It is also uneven, flakes, and is several obnoxious (and dark colors). Having said that, it is also really practical for kids and pets! This is a TX home, so slate could be a part of that... but not for us. We're thinking we need to update to the large format porcelain tile. We will have to pay for the crazy $$ dustless removal, because we're living in the home with a kiddo who has asthma.

• A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, it's funny you mention Karndean...I've seen their Oak herringbone https://www.karndean.com/en/commercial-flooring/products/ap02-auburn-oak-parquet, it's really pretty. I'd consider it, but not next to real wood!

• Sammy
    4 years ago

I’d look at limestone flooring for the kitchen et. al. Porcelain would be okay, too. Vinyl? Absolutely not.

A McSo thanked Sammy
  • A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Right. The Eleganza Absolute Nut is a 'limestone' porcelain tile (in the warmer family of colors). I like it because it has little variation and hopefully won't compete with the Taj. The colors in the photos show everything 'grey' I guess due to the fluorescent lighting in the slab warehouse. The lighting in our home is soft white 2700 led.

• Sammy
    4 years ago
    A McSo thanked Sammy
  • A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So pretty! I notice they're doing tumbled, with the white grout. We were going to stay with rectified and grout that matches the paint. Do you think this is too modern? I like the look of tumbled (we had it in our other house), but getting it really clean is harder than I liked?

• missenigma
    4 years ago

Stay with rectified. That's transitional and better aligned with the aesthetic you're going for.

• missenigma
    4 years ago

A McSo - The link you provided to your porcelain floor tile is for Absolute Nut not Milk. I like the Milk but it looks much different than what's showing in your pictures. Here's the pic from mfg's website:

• Sammy
    4 years ago

Regarding cleaning issues, are you concerned about the stone itself with all the pits and divots or is the grout lines? Another stone I think might look great is Montauk Blue—a slate from Brazil. I happen to have a sample of it sitting next to me. :)

Montauk Blue slate

A McSo thanked Sammy
  • A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know why it says milk... we're actually looking at Absolute Nut. Milk is pretty, but too light for all the people/traffic I have going through our house. Absolute Nut is a warm greige as opposed to off-white or grey. We are avoiding anything cold, grey or too industrial. Creams, off-whites, greiges play well in our house.

• missenigma
    4 years ago

The Nut is the nuts! :-)

• A McSo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know... it looks different in person, no matter what lighting. The picture they show is much warmer. It is more greige in person (and our lighting). We've looked at a LOT of tile... it keeps coming up on top.

• Stephanie Tamburello
    3 years ago

Has this kitchen reno been completed. I’d love to see the final result. I’m trying to find a tile to go with the Taj countertops. Thanks!

• A McSo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still working on it... look at Sonoma Gardenia crackle... we are likely going with white to not compete with the Taj.

• Stephanie Tamburello
    3 years ago

I love Sonoma crackle for the backsplash. What flooring did you choose?

• A McSo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Believe it or not, when the rubber hit the road, we decided to keep the original slate floors. We will be cleaning, sealing and enhancing them. I'll post photos when we're done.

• A McSo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• A McSo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• A McSo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• MaryNick
    3 years ago

Wow, it looks beautiful!

A McSo thanked MaryNick
  • Heather P
    last year

A McSo, did you end up using the Sonoma gardenia? I’m contemplating it for my Taj right now.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Wow it is beautiful! Great job!