Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaesnard

Lazy Susan vs. Corner Drawers for Dead L-Shaped Corner

Donna Esnard
3 years ago

Planning a kitchen remodel. Currently have a lazy susan for the dead corner similar to picture. Considering the crazy looking corner drawers....2 larger drawers plus 1 small. Not planning on the dividers as shown here. I store larger bowls and casserole dishes here. Wondering which offers the best utilization of space and most storage.

Plate Divider in Corner Drawer · More Info

Storage Solutions · More Info

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO those angled drawers are pretty useless if you actually need storage and I still think lazy susans or super susans are the best use of other wise dead corners.

Donna Esnard thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Patricia!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The circle option ...more space...only one door to open ..to see everything...

Donna Esnard thanked btydrvn
  • Shawna Hays
    3 years ago

I prefer the lazy Susan personally

Donna Esnard thanked Shawna Hays
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Lazy Susan: more actual space

Corner drawer: easier to visualize all at once.

Personal preference. I personally prefer the corner drawers

Donna Esnard thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • AnnKH
    3 years ago

The answer is not one or the other, because it is completely dependent on what you need to store in that corner.

In my U-shaped kitchen, I have a super susan in one corner, and nothing in the other corner. That is, the corner itself is dead, with drawers on each side of the corner. After studying every contraption and idea for corner storage that I could find, I realized that what I really needed was more drawers. This corner is between the sink and range, and I needed a place for cooking utensils, posts and pans, canisters of dry goods, towels, bags and wraps. I can store all of those things in my drawers (18" on the sink side, 24" on the range side); if I had put in corner drawers or a Susan, I would not have had a decent place to put most of those things, and I would have been left with odd, small spaces to fill.

So the other part of the equation has to do with what the space around the corner looks like. Sometimes a super susan or corner drawers works out best, sometimes not.

Donna Esnard thanked AnnKH
  • Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks AnnKH. What I currently store in the dead corner/lazy susan are larger items like salad spinner, tall bowls, longer casserole dishes. I have ample drawers surrounding it, combination deep and regular. I'm just trying to determine which option gives more "square footage" so to speak. The corner drawers appear to eat into the available space, but having never used them, it's hard to judge.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Have two LS in the cabin and am always retrieving stuff that falls off. I'd prefer the drawer and it is proven that drawers offer more accessible storage than shelves.

Donna Esnard thanked decoenthusiaste
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

This should show you the space wasted in the drawer option...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The second shaded area...less useable space ..due to odd shape

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Dont hold me to perfect scale ..but you get the general idea

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks btydrvn...this is the visual I was looking for. Plus the LS stores the odd shaped items.

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I hear what you're saying wiscokid. The dead corner is kind of like the last mile. All of the other objects have found their appropriate location...it's now down to the wierdly and oversized pieces that don't conform to hard angles, particularly large round things. I think I've got it figured out now. Thanks for all your input!!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Le Mans blind corner pull-out drawers. I use mine for pots and pans, but you can use for anything. They are awesome!

• wiscokid
    3 years ago

If it’s down to those odd/oversized things, then I would think about a blind corner with a pullout. Hafele makes some nice options.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

There are many super susans that have railings to keep stuff from falling and sorry but still IMO the best use of space.

Donna Esnard thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Ig222
    3 years ago

Lazy susan, as long as they have railing to prevent things from falling and you' re not piling things on them.

Donna Esnard thanked Ig222
  • bpath
    3 years ago

What's on the other side of the cabinets? Is it a peninsula? If so, have the corner cabinet open on the other side.

Donna Esnard thanked bpath
  • salex
    3 years ago

I have two corners with super susans that are almost identical to what you show in the example photo. I absolutely love them. One holds mixing bowls, extra travel mugs, food processor, vitamix, salad shooter, extra coffee devices (French press and cold-brew), and probably some other stuff - it's a LOT! The other one holds several cast iron dutch ovens, baking dishes with lids, a carrying case for cakes, salad spinner, and oversized salad bowls.

With the same super susan you show, which has the pie cut-out and a 1 or 2" lip, I've never had anything fall off the back. This is the most versatile storage in my kitchen. Every other lower cabinet is either a sink base or drawers, but these were a fantastic solution in my case.

If you decide to do the super susan, make sure you specify the "super" part - not a standard lazy susan, which usually has a pole in the middle.

Donna Esnard thanked salex
  • Alissa Fitzpatrick
    16 days ago

I am having a Kraftmaid kitchen installed now with a super susan. I ordered a 36 inch easy reach wood super susan base cabinet. I had wanted the corner drawers but missed them on the original plans so am stuck with what I ordered. Is it possible to replace the super susan with the 3 pull out corner drawers? I.e. can I keep the top and box but just replace the insert and face with drawers instead of the super susan?

• Alissa Fitzpatrick
    16 days ago

I have a Kraftmaid 36 inch base corner cabinet with easy reach wood super susan (EZR3336). Can the super susan and door be replaced with the kitchenaid 3 corner cabinets instead? I just did the renovation and don't want to have to replace the entire base corner cabinet. I didnt know if with kraftmaid you can just replace the insert? As a note, my counter tops have not been installed yet if this makes any differnece.

• PRO
    AiFL
    16 days ago

I’d rather have less storage space and pull out a drawer than have a little more space and have to reach in

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES