Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharron_white0

Lg Appliances Peeling

Sharron White
3 years ago

Anyone experienced the Black Stainless steel peeling off? Is there touch up available,?

Comments (57)

• HOUSE RSD
    last year

Same here except white dryer paint peeling and ending up in our clothes. Seriously never experienced this in over 50 years of laundry and numerous washer and dryer products.

• Lynn Dederich
    last year

They had doors replaced on our appliances. But the new doors are doing the same thing now .. finish is peeling off again, and it appears control panel on oven is becoming cloudy and also peeling off. LG is now ignoring our outreach.

• wendy blotzer
    last year

Our ref is peeling as well… and we bought a protection plan, but they are not covering it

• N Walker
    last year

Class action?

• Beerpocketbook
    last year

Just thought I’d chime in although I have no solutions. My LG refrigerator is peeling in a number of places but predominantly on the lower freezer door. I made the mistake of buying a “suite” of appliances five years ago, all black stainless, but the only one peeling is the refrigerator. It started within a year after purchase. The only way I know of to fix it is to replace the entire front door of the freezer. But now that the upper French doors are also starting to peel, I am loathe to spend the money to replace the freezer door. I was told by LG that it was a cosmetic problem and not covered by warranty. I have already had to replace the dishwasher because it never cleaned the dishes thoroughly. I’m going to replace everything, as it needs it, with regular stainless. Oh well, so much for the idea of having a matching set of appliances.

• Yahaira Santana
    last year

less than a year and also stated

to peel. Totally a waste

of money,

• Christine Heidenfelder
    11 months ago

We purchased an LG French Door refrigerator 7 yrs ago. During that time the compressor died and we waited 2 weeks minimum before that got replaced. Now the finish is peeling. I know we won't be looking at this brand when it comes time to replace it!

• cyndi emily
    10 months ago

3 yo LG black stainless stove is peeling i have not used any harsh chemicals or wipes I was told it was not covered by warantee purchaswd at Home Depot because it is ”damage” It is not damage-it is poor quality and noone is taking responsibility There is a class action withh Samsung-same issue I can ot not find a class action for LG

• HU-784763540
    9 months ago

My LG French Door Black Stainless-Steel Refrigerator is also peeling after owning it for 7 years. I have tried to get LG to do something about it, but only receive the run-around so far. After complaining they are saying they will replace the refrigerator door, but it is not currently available As soon as it becomes available, they will reach out to me and schedule an install. However, they have no idea if/when that will happen. I will give them 2 month - but honestly, I would be surprised if they are actually following through with it!

Has anyone talked to an attorney regarding a class action lawsuit against LG yet? If so, is there an interest to pursue this - it seems like a faulty manufacturing process, and they are not standing behind their products!!!

• J Shin
    9 months ago

as I chat with them they told me it was " wear and tear" my dishwasher film is peeling off as well. so I would better call or email them what they are going to do it...I will keep update with it thank you guys

• Jason D
    8 months ago

Same thing happening on my LG black stainless fridge

• Svetlana Kondratenko
    8 months ago

Hello, we have the same issue with our LG refrigerator. If you got assistance from LG, could you please provide the phone number or email to contact LG with this issue? Thank you in advance!

• Jason D
    8 months ago

I didnt get anywhere with LG im hoping this turns into a class action suit

• Jason D
    8 months ago

Has anyone found an appliance paint that matches the lg black stainlrss finish?

• dadoes
    8 months ago

Black stainless finish is a plastic wrap, not painted ... that's why it peels and scratches.

• Beerpocketbook
    8 months ago

I’ve wondered about trying to remove that plastic coating. Dadoes - do you know if that is feasible? It looks like stainless underneath the “black.”

• Betsy Smith
    7 months ago

Experiencing same issues. Is there a CAL against LG for this?

• N Walker
    7 months ago

Been asking about that for years and for the details on those who received resolution from LG- never a response...

• Anne Medell
    6 months ago

I bought the entire suite (refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, and microwave). All are peeling! I was very careful to clean according to manufacturer's recommendations. $5000 was a big hit to our budget and now they look like crap after 4 years. We don't even have kids we could blame the chips on!

• HU-36519247
    6 months ago

Our Refrigerator is peeling in several places .. Does anyone have the number of who to call?

• lyndatarantino
    6 months ago

We had luck with LG replacing the refrigerator doors which began peeling within a year. After about a year the finish is starting to come off again in spots. Spots that we dont even touch. Ive honestly not even used anything other than water and a paper towel to wipe it off, and the pattern of flaking isnt even where we touch it. This is so aggravating. It should be a class action - it is a defect product.

• Cherry Norris
    6 months ago

I’m not sure if you received my comment or not I had to sign up. I was just asking if you had a phone number email or a contact so that I could at least try to get my refrigerator doors replaced also. I bought my LG Black stainless steel refrigerator in late 2021 and it looks awful. I have never used anything but water and a soft microfiber cloth. For $2,800 you would think we would get a nice product. I would appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you.

• HU-56393911
    5 months ago

Wish I could say LG stands behind their product. After spending 45 minutes on the phone for this DEFECT NOT DAMAGE, the issue is still not resolved and has been sent to ’upper management’ and I should hear back in 24-48 hours. Next time I will stick with KitchenAide knowing they stand behind their workmanship.

• cyndi emily
    5 months ago

That is exa where mine peeled & LG claims its normal wear i wish there was a class actiob suit Samsung had the dame issues & there was a ckass action suit

• J Stephenson
    5 months ago

We have the same problem with the peeling on the Sears Kemore Elite (LG) refrigerator , stove & microwave. Sears replaced one of the refrigerator doors, but refused to do the others.

they are about 5 years old, but started at about 1 year old

• Robert Carroll
    4 months ago

I contacted LG this morning regarding my fridge peeling less than 6

months old. Their response is I will have to pay for a technician to come out just to look at it.

• N Walker
    4 months ago

Good luck, outright rejected our claim at 6 weeks, 3 months, 9 months, and 1 year. "Finishes are not warrantied".

We've been paying on appliances that look like junk for 2 years. At least they're paid for now...

We've

• HU-665014518
    4 months ago

7 to 10 day for repairs (Free)

• HU-665014518
    4 months ago

1 (800) 243-0000 this is the number i called

• Jason D
    4 months ago

How did they repair it @HU-665014518?

• HU-665014518
    4 months ago

They said 5 to 7 days they woud replace the part that was peeling

• lyndatarantino
    4 months ago

Does anyon know of an att that would start a class action ag LG?

• HU-504673000
    4 months ago

If you have this finish it is peeling

• HU-504673000
    3 months ago

Yep your lg soppose to be no fingerprints finish well it is the finish just peels off perfect nofinger prints lo they wount fix it they say its cosmetic however it was so;d as no fingerpint easy clean right fix it lg

• PRO
    SOLOMON NJOROGE
    3 months ago

There are several reasons why stainless steel appliances peel including the use of abrasive cleaning methods, wear and tear and exposure to chloride. That being said, it is important to first understand why your refrigerator began peeling off.

You can check the linked resource to understand why your home appliance began to peel and what you can do in the future to prevent it from happening.

https://appliancecamp.com/refrigerators/common-reasons-why-your-stainless-steel-refrigerator-is-peeling-off/

• J Stephenson
    3 months ago

Solomon,

Thank you for sharing the article, however the issue in this discussion is not about the stainless steel pealing. The problem is the film that covers the stainless to make it darker .I can speak with confidence that the problem is not due to abrasives or excessive hard scrubbing. it is a result of a poor quality product. The peeling is all over the appliance because of poor design, not a result wiping them down with a damp cloth.

thank you

js

• cyndi emily
    3 months ago

@Solomon Njoroge none of those apply to my situation it peeled because the whole process is faulty. There have been numerous complaints & Samsung has a class action suit. I would imagine that most of us that are complaining are outraged by your ”help” We spent thousands on appliances that have a faulty finish. This has nothing to do with the care we have or haven't given the appliances. If you can help get our money back or a helpful so please chime in.

• JIAYIN HU
    2 months ago

disappointed! paint started peeling when not even 2 years old! Spent big thousands because of his appearance but now he's starting to peel,This is defective product! There should be a class action lawsuit.

• Judy Foldi
    2 months ago

I just peeled it all off. seems it is a protective coating for shipping. installers should have removed it.

• Beerpocketbook
    2 months ago

Were you able to get it ALL off? What is the finish like beneath what you peeled off? That was the “black stainless” coating you just peeled off, not a protective film.

• Judy Foldi
    2 months ago

It was a clear shrink wrap i peeled off. Black finish underneath. i sure hope that doesn’t peel.

• J Stephenson
    2 months ago

Judy, I hope you’re one of the lucky owners that don’t experience the peeling of the black ”finish”.

I would highly reccomennd you watch very closely and when it starts immediatly contact the company about the guarantee. They have a very short period for appearance issues, unfortunately it’s unlikely they will do anything. other than blame you for using abrasive cleaning or some other excuse.

Review the photos in this post and watch for any sign of problem. Sears (LG) did replace one door on my fridge after that nothing.

Best of luck!

• Rene Roberts
    13 days ago

I’m having same problem as the OP in the exact place (corner or the handle) i did reach out to chat and was given a phone number to speak with management. i only reached an agent that did not escalate to management like i requested from the beginning. instead he was passing to the ”service” dept that looks into these issues supposedly. i was advised to call back Monday and give a reference number to see if there’s any solution.

This is really unacceptable for a finish not to last. look at the amount of people experiencing this flaking around the edges of handles. its either the adhesive or something in those areas. youd think if it were a wear and tear then finishes would come of middle of the handle where people are touching and cleaning all the time.

• 3katz4me
    13 days ago

It sounds like this happening primarily with the black stainless finish, is that correct? I've had an LG fridge for eight years with no peeling - it's regular stainless. I plan on buying another one for a different house but I notice some now have fingerprint proof stainless. I've been thinking that also is just a coating of some sort that could also peel off. Anyone have that situation? I've been looking at models that don't have that but they are limited.

• Beerpocketbook
    12 days ago

I can only speak for the “black stainless” but yes - that is what is peeling. It looks like regular stainless underneath, like a coating was applied over their regular stainless finishes. It is not at all durable and I rue the day I chose it.

• J Stephenson
    12 days ago

Rene, I hope you have success with your issue, but don’t be surprised that this is only the beginning of the run around.

• dadoes
    12 days ago

"Beerpocketbook: It looks like regular stainless underneath, like a coating was applied over their regular stainless finishes."

That what is black stainless, a polymer/plastic film applied onto stainless steel.

• HU-866596844
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I bought the whole LG kitchen package 6 years ago and every appliance has had peeling by the handles. I followed the cleaning recommendations. LG was replacing the doors but now states they are no longer under warrantee! Any class action suit at this time?

• 3katz4me
    11 days ago

Is this also happening with current models that have the print proof stainless? Seems like that would just be a coating of some sort as well. I would really like another LG for my second home but the only options for the size I need are print proof. The eight year old fridge I have now is fine and doesn't have this problem but it's black.

• Julie Canoura
    2 days ago

According to numerous NET articles and TV commentor interviews, it appears that LG will not replace refrigerator doors or even offer to re-coat them when the coating peels within months of purchase. Short of people seeking out a law firm who is handling a class - action lawsuit against LG for compressor and/ or fingerprint resistant coating the only other approach would be to never, ever purchase any LG appliance. In the meantime, my comment is specific to the coating that peels shortly after purchase. To remedy the unsightly appearance, I sought assistance from a car wrap company. The technician will be ordering BM05 Metallic Cotton Teek Wrap and will install over the doors.