Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (16K)

• tiffany66
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

But hey if that doesn't work you could position the family photos around it and as them to help kill it. LOL. When normal means don't work call in those from the beyond.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

We had one of these an older one and it finally broke but these really come in handy and not as much bending. I may invest in another one, they are super handy especially with compacted soil.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Oh you so funny! It may be worth a try! Or drape that huge one of the ex’s family over it!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I know black plastic or cardboard can be used as well to kill foliage/weeds. I’m on a mission. I sure wish I were home more to work on these things I’de like to get done or before I cannot physically do them any more.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Oh no, i just read that they don't recommend a tiller because it may leave behind small pieces of the root and it will regrow. The best way is to use a Soil Knifeand get the whole root and the rest of the plant out making sure not to be leaving any seeds behind. I'm concerned a Tiller is going to cut it up and leave pieces of the plant behind to regrow. Look at the video that I posted.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I’m in for some work aren’t I !!! We have major thunderstorms storms tonight and all day tomorrow :(. Inky, Dinky, Stinky and Shag 😆

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Joke, never name an animal Stinky 💗

• Nora Lambert
    yesterday

Inky, Dinky, Pinky and Winky.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Happy Easter Printesa 💗hoping you and your family have a wonderful day 💕

• printesa
    yesterday

Good morning to al Inky, Dinky, Pinky and Winky:)) I got some sleep and now I have coffee:) We came home at around 2 and probably went to sleep close to 3. We have a rainy day here, but that's ok..we need it

I had look up monkey grass.I knew it by the official name, liriope. I did consider getting some since I've seen it at the kids school where it looked really good. I did have some when we moved here (the builder had it as part of the landscape). I dug it out a few years after we moved in because I didn't like the way it looked in those areas (it looked burnt in the sun area).

I'll try to take better photos of the baked goods:) I took a quick one yesterday for the little one, but I should have taken photos of each when I got them out of the oven and they were nice and puffy...they shrunk after I got them out just like a soufflé:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Oh I imagine they were beautiful! Do you use a natural butter and maybe jams? You’re making my mouth water! A rainy day may “make” you rest. The monkey grass (liriope) does have its place I guess for border and it does get flower stalks. Ours is chopped now and looks like a terrible hair cut :). We have more rain today here as well. If I worry enough about getting this dug up then maybe it will be easier, anyway I can stay positive as long as possible. It’s good you dug it up though. This ground decor can come up and seed everywhere. I have really nice rock paths under and on either side of this area so it will be nice to get it cleared and have something els there. There are other large areas where it has been planted but this one out back off the patio was going to be my first eradication 😆

• printesa
    yesterday

Thank you for the wishes! The little one sent me a photo at 5 this morning with her eating a piece of meat like a savage:) She likes meat, but for lent, we are vegan:)

I feel for you with that grass..I know how tough and frustrating it is to remove invasive things..I have common reed in the back and I really thought I got rid of all of it last fall. This spring lots of them emerged and I have to work with OH this week to dig them out..the roots are thick and feet long. We will be covered in mud for sure:)

The baked goods I made are called 'pasca' and they are made with cheese (I use ricotta cheese and farmer's cheese), but there are also new recipes with heavy cream and sour cream (I made one like that as well). I use vanilla and lemon zest for most of them..I tried a new recipe this year that used lime zest and lime juice and it came out really good. OH usually doesn't like lime, but he didn't say that he doesn't like it:)

I should soon get ready for Sunday service..it's at noon since nobody would wake up early for regular service:)

• tiffany66
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Printesa a Very Happy Easter to you and Family. You are making me hungry for your treats. Keeping those baking arms primed for a visit this Summer. My kitchen is your. Well, in fact I am always ready for a Kitchen takeover. LOL.

What else do you do to celebrate? Do you color eggs?

• glschisler
    yesterday

Happy Easter Printesa!

I find it interesting that you all are having issues with the monkey grass. We had it at our patio along the sidewalk to the front door. We never had a problem with it. Down here, we planted in in front of the azaleas in front of the house. They never did grown fast or spread. So last fall OH dug up old and replanted new. So we shall see. Of course last summer was brutal down here.

• happyleg
    yesterday

Happy Easter Princesa and your food sounds good

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Gls I think the reason we have trouble with it is because I have a lot of old rock pathways in the backboard and it loves growing up through those, any small crack which makes the cracks bigger in the cement between them. I think these pathways are from the late 30’s or 40’s and I’m noticing they are getting ruined. I found this one off the back paying under the grass and have found more. I hope they don’t start coming apart. I didn’t mind it at all until i noticed this. It’s just old and taking over.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

This is what’s under the patch we’re working on now. Just overtaking. I think i can have some nicer beds in here. It’s probably been growing for a long time here too :(. Very compact and old and mosquitoes are nesting in here bad with all the rain

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

This is after the bad hair cut lol.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Meanwhile the rest of us get to nap!

• happyleg
    yesterday

That's nice taking a nap who got a bad haircut? If you cut your hair show us a pic

• btydrvn
    yesterday

We also have lots of stone edging and paths..finally had to raise the stones.. adding pea gravel or dirt beneath them..at the same time sprayed and scrubbed the stones with Clorox or weed/moss killer..so the stone is a little higher…and cleaner…big job …but it took years to get to this point..and the result was a total refresh..I placed my stones to permit easy access to the center of big beds.. to potted annuals…and for weeding access

• btydrvn
    yesterday

When it comes to weed killers …I only use them on the pea gravel paths

• btydrvn
    yesterday

And thanx for all the cute kitty pictures🥰

• glschisler
    yesterday

The kitties are hilarious!😆

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

These path walkways are all cemented together.

• printesa
    yesterday

Thank you ladies for the wishes. I am full to the brim. We went next door to OH's parents and we all ate more that we could..way too much food:) we do color eggs. This year I was too tired and busy to do the usual eggs so I just put them in red dye and that was that. Usually I use leaves, applied to the egg and then died..after the leaf is removed, you can see the red egg and the leaf the color of the egg or a bit of die..I used wax as well, but I need time for that. Maybe I'll do for the Ascension

Alice, I love those kitties! I wish I could nap like that:) We need to find out their secret:)

• liasch
    yesterday

Happy Easter, Printesa! I still have my eggs out on display. Easter was so early this year I didn’t want to put them away. I’ll probably put them away in another few days.

Bind weed is one of the big invasive problems here that and Rosa multiflora. Both very difficult to eradicate and if you don’t stay on top of them they totally ruin everything.

• printesa
    yesterday

Thank you Lia! I have a few of those eggs. Back home, we used to get a few each year

Bindweed is awful..The only thing that kills is it is covering it with some thick landscape fabric for at least one season

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

Such beautiful eggs! I have not colored eggs in ages. I looked up bindeed, looks like a morning glory? I’m glad we don’t have that but we have so many more. About to get a spray onto the cut monkey grass. Been flea combing the little ones. So many things to try to stay on top of but trying!

• drblount10
    22 hours ago

Happy Easter Printesa!

Tiffany, there is dark and light academia. It's a new trend, but really timeless.

Praying for anyone affected by flooding in Texas this weekend.     

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

My gosh Drblount10, long time no hear 💗 hope you’ve been doing ok? The flooding ugh, I’m so over the soggy but…. one thing I read on ridding of fleas in your yard is flood it and drown them out! Of course next will be our humidity and then drought. I guess a person can move to another part of the country, but then what? 😂

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Lia I’m thinking Easter Eggs could stay out all year, they are so pretty!

• printesa
    22 hours ago

thank you drblount!

Alice, that weed is like morning glory. Growing up we had it in the grass fields, but it wasn't in the garden..didn't seem to be invasive there..We called it swallow bird's dress. It has a really nice and mild fragrance. Here, I can't stand it because they are almost impossible to get rid of..roots can g down to 20ft..

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Oh my Printesa! I did plant some morning glory seeds at our chain link fence between our messy neighbors yard and our yard, but maybe it’s good it didn’t take. My father had bird dogs in pens for hunting when I was growing up and he planted those on their kennel fences and it did make great shade for them in this bad heat.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Gls the kitties are so fun! Right now 😬, I know the day will come when all little ones grow up. I can be sitting at the table and all I hear is stampeding and thumping in the hallway! I say are you behaving in there? And it’s so funny bc they get quiet for a minute then it starts all over again.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

I am now the proud owner of a hand tiller and a sharp edging tool for the new part of our sidewalk. Sprayed a gallon of vinegar and salt on the grass and I’m getting more tomorrow. Have to work all day but then will be home Tuesday 👏. We are thinking river rock in our flower beds out front with the bird baths? We haven’t received a quote from the young man we had over yesterday, may be over the top, but we’ll see. We drove around our neighborhood today to get ideas for the front walk up to the stairs. We saw a flagstone that looked nice, but will have to see. It’s really not a huge area so maybe we can do something like that.

• tiffany66
    16 hours ago

Well, ladies I assume all quotes for work around the house will be much higher with the price of gas and wages. Here Min. Wage is now $20 / hour and our Gas is $5.65 /gal for Reg. So much for a low heating bill. I was thrilled to be in MI for the Winter because it cost less to heat that house than my CA house and its more than twice the size and weather was colder. My car gas was only $3.20. It was a money making Winter. YEAH!!!!

Lia, I thought you would really love the Academia Décor. I'm drawn to the Dark version, but think I could live with the Light version better. Both are great. I love all the academia accessories and that there is so much use for antiques.

Alice, here the Morning Glories are impossible to get rid of, but they are really pretty. I used to drive past a stretch where they covered a long chain link fence and looked glorious. I love our Jacaranda Trees. There is a street with them on both sides forming a canopy over the road. When they bloom, the scent is just heavenly and the streets are covered with small purple petals -- "purple rain." It's the most wonderful scent of like a soft powdery lavender. I used to drive down a street like this to go to work. I was so Zen by the time I got there. But as great as it was, I am happy that's not the street I live on -- cars and houses covered in petals would be annoying. Assuming the scent might be much to live with too.

• printesa
    9 hours ago

tiffany, I didn't know that CA has jacaranda trees..I thought they were Australia only. I looked them up and apparently, while pretty to look at, they are a pain..the blooms have this goo that makes them stick to everything and stain..also, apparently they stink..I guess not everything pretty is good, too:)

The gas price has always been higher in Cali because of the taxes..at least it's no longer $8/gallon:) Soon, there won''t be people there to pay for anything..most business won't be able to make it at 20 per hour..it's unfortunate because CA used to be nice

• printesa
    9 hours ago

Alice, I see you are getting all the good stuff:) These tools will help you..soon your garden will be where you want it. Take it easy with everything, You are working a lot.

• tiffany66
    8 hours ago

Yes Jacaranda Trees were first brought to California during the 19th century, they were popularized through the efforts of botanist Kate Sessions, who introduced more than 100 species of flora to the state. Well these trees are ever where in the southland because they are very pretty. The smell is like a vanilla perfume, actually quite pretty.

Yes, It's sad that many areas have been ruined, but we do have a group who I working to split the state into two states. They have been doing this for several years now and it is looking promising. Not long ago they filed their papers with the State Congress. I just heard tonight that Illinois is gearing up to do this too. Those people have had it there.

I'm glad I have two houses now. There may come a time for me to make a choice but I hope that doesn't come too soon, if at all. At least I have another place to escape to if things get crazy. Hard to see which way things may go. LIke most I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• printesa
    7 hours ago

Yes, the state of Jefferson..also Oregon has the East side that wants to join Idaho. Even cities do that..I believe Baton Rouge just did that because one area wanted to have control over their schools and programs. I find smaller communities better since they tend to govern themselves better and be closer to the constituents

I pray that good prevails..too much evil lately..I know it will be ok in the end..it's the way there that is a bit strenuous

• liasch
    2 hours ago

Basically eight dollars a gallon here. Two dollars a liter. Don’t confuse bind weed with morning glories. They probably are related but morning glories are an annual bind weed is persistent perennial and the underground roots are brittle and go forever. One tiny little hair and you have a new plant. And you can’t mulch it because it moves in underneath all the other roots and pops up in the new spot. The multiflora rose is just about the same. Only with thorns.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

Lia they really do resemble each other. I had never seen bind weed, or I’ve seen it and thought it was morning glory. Yes, very different! We have a trumpet vine that travels like that and is actually beautiful but it’s a menace for sure. I have some coming up around the front porch from who know so where and have tried everything. Even the heavy bush round up and chemicals for poison ivy. Eight dollars! I won’t tell you what we pay a gallon of premium 👀

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

. Took a few cuttings from a thrift store fence but glad I didn’t plant it in the ground

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

• printesa
    2 hours ago

We had those trumpets in California..they had them by the pool in the apartment complex where we rented..I think I did read then that they are tough to control