Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layla_yu

Quartz backsplash burned by oven

Layla Yu
last year

My quartz backsplash got burnt. Not sure what caused it but maybe possible my cat turned on my oven and left it on for hours.

I have tried baking soda, barkeepers’ friend and magic eraser but no luck. Is there any other method I can use to get this cleaned?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

There is no "cleaning". You've burned the resin in the engineered stone. You may be able to abrade it away with a wet diamond pad protocol on a grinder, but that depends upon how deep the burns are. You may get the burn out and the finish somewhat matched, but you'll probably create a vertical butterdish to do it.

Have the burned section of splash removed and have a stainless steel splash fabricated to cover the raw ends of the splash. You'll be able to abrade the inevitable burns on the stainless steel by yourself.

Check the appliance manufacturer's installation specifications first please. You may have to rebuild your wall.

Layla Yu thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Layla Yu
    Original Author
    last year

Would it be lots of trouble if i get the whole backsplash replaced?

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wouldn't you know if your cat turned on your oven and left it on for hours? I'm assuming the cat doesn't know how to turn it back off and you would see it was on/hot when you got back home!

Did you by any chance use the self-cleaning function on your oven?

• Layla Yu
    Original Author
    last year

We left our apartment for a business trip for a few day and noticed the oven was on when we got back. A day later, we noticed the damage.

• gtdj519
    last year

Yikes .. sorry that has happened . id replace it with natural stone ( granite, quartzite ) Im not a fan of quartz in kitchens. Barheooms fine, but ,kitchens just have roo pich potential for things like this to happen. that really stinks ; i hope you can replace it and it not be too much of a burden to do so for you. good luck with it!!

Layla Yu thanked gtdj519
  • PRO
    Granite City Services
    last year

This is an extreme example of why "quartz surface" is not recommended for backsplash behind a big heatsource. As Joe said the resin is burnt.

Layla Yu thanked Granite City Services
  • Marina Lehane
    last year

Can someone advise me on the right setup before I make the same mistake?

I have an all gas Viking series 5 48” range and ordered an Enigma Quartz countetop & backsplash. I’m designing myself as the homeowner so combing here to learn.

Sounds like I’m going to need a backguard, but I’m unclear on the height. What will protect my quartz but still show the lovely backsplash? 8” like this one on Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viking-backguard-for-gas-ranges-and-gas-rangetops-stainless-steel/5939502.p?skuId=5939502

TIA

• vinmarks
    last year

@Marina Lehane Look at the installation instructions for your model. They can be found on the Viking website. It looks like you need at least an 8 inch backguard to have zero clearance to combustible back wall.

• Marina Lehane
    last year

Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly! I’ll order the 8” one, my hood will be installed at 30” up so an 8” chunk isnt the end of the world.

I worked with a designer for the cabinets so she covered me for them, knowing my appliances. But not working with a designer / architect for the overall project, so I’m on the hook for something like this.

I’ve absolutely hit scenarios where I kick myself realizing that last min learnings probably wouldve been known from the start had I hired an architect e.g. hood vent make-up air, floor joist reinforcement for kitchen weight, but so far ive caught everything in the nick of time to do it right. Thanks for sharing your knowledge here!

• candace lum
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Hi Marina, Any chance you have feedback if the 8” has been keeping your quartz backsplash safe from singes? thanks! Same dilemma with a Wolf stove