Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbadarak

New Kitchen counters

sbadarak
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I mentioned the kitchen counter problem two weeks ago without photos. I ordered Absolute black leather granite. I saw a sample and additionally, viewed several on Houzz. I thought I did a satisfactory research job. I looked at the pieces in the granite sales company and they appeared fine; i.e. without streaks or veins. Please see attached. The granite and tile company say this "streaking' is normal. I would appreciate some advice.

Comments (15)

• lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Ask if someone from the company could come and have a look at it . They maybe right , but ask the question at another granite provider and see what they say . It could be the way of things -- like a patina forming .
  • kafehausdiva
    10 years ago
    Your instincts are correct I'm afraid. That looks like a blemish to me. Don't put up with it.
    sbadarak thanked kafehausdiva
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I think it's fine, even desirable. Nobody would think this was Corian.
  • PRO
    Redesign Solutions
    10 years ago
    I had a similar problem with absolute granite, rings were embedded in the counter. I withheld payment to my contractor until he gave me a new slab. FYI with absolute granite, you will be cleaning constantly!
    sbadarak thanked Redesign Solutions
  • joancm
    10 years ago
    No way - absolute black should be just that: absolutely black without veining. An unblemished slab should be fairly entirely uniform. A slab with veining should be discounted significantly. (btw - I just replaced my absolute black because I was cleaning it constantly; if you use your kitchen, you will be, too.) If you are intent on having the AB, then you should choose another slab, take pictures as proof and then have it fabricated.
    sbadarak thanked joancm
  • wilturn
    10 years ago
    Black pearl is beautiful and the same concept, but you do not have to clean constantly. Highly recommend. Just installed in my kitchen in March.
    sbadarak thanked wilturn
  • dorrienelle
    10 years ago
    Is that veining or gouging? It looks like machine damage in the picture.
    sbadarak thanked dorrienelle
  • adp3
    10 years ago
    If you looked at your slabs before purchasing and they did not have these streaks then you end up with the same look. Don't accept this!
    sbadarak thanked adp3
  • maxdc
    10 years ago
    my honed AB does not have anything like that! Solid color, uniform. It is honed not leathered, not sure if that matters or not.
    sbadarak thanked maxdc
  • Karen Somerville
    10 years ago
    If it's not the piece you picked out, send it back. Some providers will offer you a discount, you have to look at this every day, make it right for the long term. Good luck.
    sbadarak thanked Karen Somerville
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    Several years ago we had granite installed & it had "swirls" embedded in the counter. As much as I hate our litigious society, we took it to small claims court & won...hands down.
    sbadarak thanked Kathy
  • mabooey
    10 years ago
    I am not an expert by any means, but I'm sorry...that does not look right. It looks damaged to me. If the slab you looked at didn't have the same "look" to it, they should have told you, right off the bat, that there are variations from slab to slab, and that there could be some veining, etc. You wouldn't have chosen this if you knew it could look like this, right? Anyway...research. Ask other professionals in your area, without telling them what your problem is. Act as if you are shopping around and you will get your answer. Either way, you don't have to settle for this. Like I said, if this is normal, you should have been advised before ordering.
    sbadarak thanked mabooey
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    This tip was passed down to my CPA husband by one of his contractor clients:

If you are having a problem with any work done, and you are not getting a satisfactory response, send the contractor a calm and straightforward letter, outlining the problem, how you have attempted to redress it, his lack of response. Then end the letter with: "if this problem can not be resolved by this date I will have no recourse but to file a complaint with the State Contractors' Licensing Board." Send it registered.

We used this, and the contractor was over the next day. Passed this on to a friend, and she got a call the day the letter arrived. In California, they hate dealing with that board!
    sbadarak thanked pcmom1
  • PRO
    Stone Center
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    This is unacceptable. Were you given the opportunity to view your slab before fabrication and install? That's standard for us, so that if there is a natural variation (which your stone type should not have), the customer is aware of it and has the chance to approve it or return the slab and select another. Call up the company and see if they can send someone out to take a look. This doesn't look like "natural variation" to me. It looks like a damaged stone.