Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_10297213

Cloe tile without color variation…or, am I visually impaired?

CC
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

After reading here i decided the Cloe tile look would be perfect for our kitchen backsplash when we remodel. In the pictures shared here and online, I see a nice color variation from tile to tile, this one looks more white, this one leans a little gray! Perfect muted colors and not plain white.

For the life of me, I see none of that color variation with my own two eyes in person.

I ordered Cloe from Lowe’s and I see very subtle differences between the tiles. I decided to make a pile of light, mid tone and dark for the box and it is hard. There are very few tiles that appear anything other than “dirty white” to me.

So I ordered the knock off from Home Depot (Ivy Hill Kingston white) and it looks dirty to me. I don’t see any color variation tile to tile, only within the tile (light swirls of gray?).

I went to Floor and Decor to view a tile recommended here as similar to Cloe and it’s got too much variation. The darkest gray stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

So what gives? Are my eyes not working properly? Did Cloe send me a box of all the light colored tile? Do I buy from Floor and Decor and pick the dark gray out and toss it?

I’m so confused because the Cloe in front of me looks nothing like the beautiful variation of color that I’ve seen here in the pictures of all have shared and I’m wondering why it doesn’t?

much like Goldilocks, the Cloe I have is too light but the F&D tile is too much variation from tile to tile

This is the Cloe

Ivy Hill

Floor and Decor Zellige Pearl Opal

Comments (9)

• CC
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Lynn Lou, thank you for the detailed response.

Both the Cloe and Ivy Hill were in sealed boxes from the manufacturer that didn't appear to be opened previously. I looked at both today again in the sunlight and I still see just "white", none of the lovely shades you show in your photos.

I looked at the Tilebar Portmore White but their site wanted to limit me to 1 or 2 pieces of a sample, and I think I'd really need more than that to see the color variation?

All of the lovely shades in your photo - that's what I was expecting! I have ordered another box from Amazon of the Cloe to see if that box looks different. Great advice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 months ago

I am not loving the shifting colors with thta counter I think the counter should be the star and the backspalsh amybe a nice gray glass large format tle with matching grout find the tile that is the same color as the swirl in the counter .

• eld6161
    9 months ago

I agree with Patricia. But I prefer ceramic to glass. Find a simple light gray.

• CC
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hi, I’m the original poster who just thinks that my Cloe tile doesn’t look right.

Lynn Lou helpfully posted pictures of the Cloe she’s considering but that’s not my countertop. She’s got a whole thread of her own about backsplash selection.

Redirecting here - anyone else thing my Cloe sample is not a good sample? Please read the original post for detail.

• marylut
    9 months ago

Color in the natural light and light bulb Kelvin rating in you home is not the same as color you see on your monitor, online photos, or in the store (with blue lighting).

• Paul F.
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Kinda funny that Lynn Lou innocently hijacked your post. Your tile clearly is wrong. Thank your lucky stars that you didn't hand it to your installer without checking. Obviously you need to be careful with your local Floor and Decor store and their stock.

• Lynn Lou
    9 months ago

Sorry. It was not my intention to hijack your post. Was only showing that my recently purchased Cloe tile looks nothing like what you got and to confirm that I don’t think you’re visually impaired lol. Hopefully others who have purchased Cloe will comment on their variation of colors within a box.

Portmore white is the same as the Ivy you got from Home Depot. And my sample from tile bar did look like the box I got from HD.

Did you lay out all of the Cloe tiles from your box? I didn’t want to but it helped to see them all. I’m tired of them being on my Island. Glad you ordered another from Amazon. Will be interested to see how it compares. What counter are you trying to pair it with? I’m considering ordering another box or two to see if those lean gray like most everyone else has experienced. Again, sorry if I derailed your post 🫤

• Katie Adler
    11 days ago

CC did you end up ordering more Cloe samples to see if you noticed any variation? I am in the exact same boat and just wondering if the colors distinction is just not as pronounced in person as it is in photos. I feel exactly the same way you do about the Floor and Decor tile, the Home Depot Ivy Hill and the Cloe!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!