Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncollins81

Bathroom Vanity Light Help

Noelle D
last month

Hi all-im in the middle of remodeling my guest (kids) bath. Im using small blue shower tile w tub, white 12 x 24 tile w some gray veining, and a light wood vanity..style is kinda glam (shower) and transitional. Walls will be white.

Any suggestions for a 5 light vanity to go above large, original mirror? i cant part with ny large mirror. So far i only have brushed gold for fixtures..

thanks!!

Comments (10)

• kandrewspa
    last month
    last modified: last month

How wide is the vanity? Look for a fixture that comes as close as possible to spanning the mirror. It might be a four light fixture, not five. They're aren't as many five light fixtures made as fours. There are also fixtures that are more like bars, also called strips. Somewhat similar to florescent tubes, but luckily more attractive than that. If you can, post a picture of the vanity so people can get a better idea of the style you're looking for.

Noelle D thanked kandrewspa
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: 29 days ago

The vanity is 72 inches long, current light over the mirror was 47 in long. All fixtures are brushed gold in shower. would like to possibly mix in another metal, any suggestion? i still need to pick curtain rod (simple white curtain), faucets and light so room to mix metal there or with towel rod, hooks etc

• tdemonti
    last month

I was told that lights above cast shows and to place lighting closer to eye level.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    last month

I would love to do that as that seems to be the trend but the one side of the mirror is against the wall so i onky could do that on one side and the electrical hookup is already above the mirror..

• chispa
    last month
    last modified: last month

Can you add a couple of 4" recessed lights to the ceiling. One in the shower/tub would be good too.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    last month

Idk…would probably be an undertaking..i cant find anything i really like for above the mirror that isnt boring 😵‍💫

• ptreckel
    28 days ago

Are you doing two sinks, as in the vanity you posted? If so, I would go with two fixtures, one over each sink. 3 lights, each. Yes, your electrician can relocate the mounts for two from the one existing mount above your large mirror. If you were replacing the big mirror, side lights would be nice. And it seems like mounting side lights (3 for two sinks) will not work with the existing mirror. My advice is workable only if you are installing two sinks.

Noelle D thanked ptreckel
  • kandrewspa
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Like ptrechkel said, two three light fixtures is best if you want one large mirror. I prefer to install separate mirrors so I can have sconces on the sides like what is shown below because that type of lighting is superior. The fixtures that are popular now tend to be skinny, so you don't need a lot of space on either side to install them, but be sure to think it through well and measure twice if you decide to go that way and have an electrician add junction boxes. The second picture is an example of the two threes. It's not a great picture of one of my bathrooms, but it is over a 72" vanity. We were just doing a refresh instead of a remodel, so didn't change the mirror in this instance.

StoneCrest Bathrooms · More Info

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Lots of good ideas and suggestions. thanks so much!