Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_973008665

Ideas for efficient space utilization for small but tall bedroom

Bob Singh
26 days ago

I have a bedroom on the first floor that is 10.5 ft by 9.5 ft with 14 ft high ceiling. My parents currently use it. It has a small sliding door in-wall closet and a nice sized window facing south-east. I'm looking for ideas on how to utilize the space better, specifically add more storage (e.g. built-in around the bed?) without making the small room more cramped. We have height working for us, so any suggestions there would be great (mezzanine?) Thanks.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    25 days ago

Is this still going to be your parents bedroom? IMO the room is tiny and adding much storage along the walls will make it feel smaller . The height is awkward and honestly storage up above the bed or way up the wall will be pretty useless .Since you would need to have it so it missed your head . I would do some nice bedding add some drapes on the window and some art on the wll and the widest night tables you can fit on either side of the bed with lamps and be done

• J from Lakes Country
    13 days ago

Do you mean this is a guest bedroom for when your parents come to visit or a full-time bedroom?

• Bob Singh
    Original Author
    13 days ago

J, full-time bedroom

• Bob Singh
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Mrs Pete, the bed used to be in the position you suggest (under the window) however we felt it might be better to align it this way since the window wall in a foot longer that the other one.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 days ago

I would change the base of the bed to one with drawers - that's a lot of extra storage.

Can you do something like this?

With a queen mattress at 60" wide, that would give you about 2 ft on each side.

Bob Singh thanked Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    lisedv
    9 days ago

If you replace the entrance door to the bedroom with a bi-fold door you'd be able to do something like below also suggested above by Debbi Washburn. If you have an Ikea store nearby, look at their Pax System which is well made and affordable.

Bob Singh thanked lisedv
  • Bob Singh
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks Debbi, thats what I"m leaning towards, I like the bed with storage idea.

lisedv - the folding door idea is good, I'll look into it, might make the room feel bigger. I really liked the PAX system however wish there was one with 1 or 2 open shelves in the middle so we can access things easily from the bed like books or charging phones etc.

• PRO
    lisedv
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Look at Ikea's Besta System, you might be able to do a nightstand height next to the bed then hang some other sections on the wall above and over the bed. Pax is really made for setting up wardrobes and walk-ins and besta doesn't have the same options but it's also interesting and available in several door and drawer front finishes.

• Cara Fidler
    8 days ago

In that case, I suggest making good use of your vertical space: a tall armoire, tall skinny chests of drawers, you can sit a large faux tree on a piece of furniture so that it is up higher. I suggest Roman blinds for your window. You could hang art up high on the wall so that the eye travels upward.