Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_palmer79

Timber Deck and Pergola Close to a Pine Tree Dilemma

Nicole Palmer
16 days ago

We are in desperate need of an outdoor area and to extend our back verandah. We have a huge hoop pine tree where we are proposing to put the deck near and wondering if we could install a deck and erect a wooden pergola structure (open) that we could trellice some vine over the top. We intend to crown lift the pine to remove the lower hanging leaves to allow for the structure. We are not sure this is doable or what we need to consider here? The tree does have big roots some which sit on the surface of the soil. We were intending to build like a little bench seat around the pine tree and give it ample space. Any advice or considerations most welcome. There is a retaining wall ad a hedge on the other side.

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

IMO the tree will give you shade no pergola at all needed but I love trees but IMO that one is overpowering the house . Can we see the whole yard with some measurements makybe a frees standing deck out in the yard might be best . I need more info for sure . I like the benches built under trees but IMO thta tree is too close to the house .

• Kate Cowers
    16 days ago

One good storm and your house is toast. Take the tree down.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    16 days ago

I love trees but that one is not in the right location. Tall trees like that attract lightning strikes. It really should come down as a matter of safety.

• jackowskib
    16 days ago

Perhaps a chainsaw artist could turn that tall tree trunk into something fun if the tree is taken down 😊

• dan1888
    16 days ago

I also have big firs. But away from the house. I'd remove that one and plan one or more farther into your yard.

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

Cut it down to table height and put a top on it..if you have cheap labor cut slices to create a pretty walk way…try advertising..some people may come and take it for furniture making..all of these options are available but not really feasible if that fence is your property line..and if so ..if the tree falls on a neighbor…get ready for a lifetime of regret and debt

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

A consult with an arborist may reveal possible damage from the root system as well

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

Forgot my most bothersome warning..all the debris that falls from a pine tree in normal situations will be on your deck to clean up … daily or before each use

• Kate Cowers
    16 days ago

If you can’t tell from that photo that the tree is too close to the house then you need glasses! I’m all for an arborist but let’s be serious. I can hear the crack CRASH from here

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

It will require a crane to cut it from the top down but nothing good will come of leaving it there…

• Nicole Palmer
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you everyone. I have consulted with an arborist already and the tree is very healthy and this style of tree has deep tap roots. This tree provides habitat for local birds so I am not wanting to remove it. Thank you for your feedback.

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

Nice for the birds..hope they don’t poop on your deck …unless you like that “nice white carpet look”

• floraluk2
    16 days ago

I'm wondering from the washing line and the tree species whether you are in Australia? If so I'd get some local input. This is not a 'fir' tree, it's a species of native Araucauria. I doubt many posters here are familiar with either the tree or your local conditions.

• Kate Cowers
    15 days ago

smdh......sometimes you have to do things (like remove a healthy tree) for reasons that go beyond the healthy tree. Fall on your house. Fall on the fence into neighbor's yard. Save the birds but injure other things? You have weird priorities.

• Jennz9b
    15 days ago

Don’t listen to the tree haters.

• beesneeds
    15 days ago

Since you have already had an arborist in, what did they say about removing limbs from the tree? Did they say it was doable? What did they tell you about the big roots close to surface and what you can or can't do with things like your deck footings and seating? I can understand wanting to get some other opinions online. But you have already had a pro out, please share with us what they told you about the tree.

Otherwise... I've seen people build decks and seating around trees. It takes some planning I'm sure. If you have been living there for a while, you are probably aware of the debris of the tree. But people build decks and pergolas under trees on the regular too.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 days ago

Why not just build the deck and pergola to the side of the tree instead of trying to build it around the tree? It doesn't seem like you'll be gaining much useable space (just a few feet) to encompass the tree. Perhaps you can draw a layout of the space with exact dimensions to see what you gain by building around the tree vs adjacent to the tree.

I am not an arborist, but I do think your tree is beautiful. I hope it's safe for you to keep it as it seems to be a lovely feature in the yard that likely provides wonderful shade in the summer. If you do keep it, I would want to make sure the deck is built very carefully so as not to damage the roots to risk losing the tree.

• ci_lantro
    13 days ago

The proposed deck will effectively be a roof over a large portion of the tree roots preventing rainfall from reaching the roots. Coupled with unknown amount of soil disturbance in the course of building a deck, you could be risking damage or even eventual loss of the tree.

• floraluk2
    13 days ago

Given the thousands of trees which happily survive in paved city streets around the world, I would not be concerned about rainfall not reaching the roots immediately around the trunk. They will be growing far out beyond the dripline of the tree and they'll find water.

• btydrvn
    12 days ago

Of course someone said this type of tree the roots do not grow outward but downward?..

• ci_lantro
    12 days ago

This is what I found about the root system of a hoop pine: A deep taproot and extensive lateral roots provide good access to water in the lower soil profile.

Given the thousands of trees which happily survive in paved city streets around the world, I would not be concerned about rainfall not reaching the roots immediately around the trunk. They will be growing far out beyond the dripline of the tree and they'll find water.

I would not be concerned at all about OP's plan to build a little bench seat around the tree trunk. It is the large deck that would extend well beyond the dripline that is the problem. That will block rainfall from the roots of a very large established tree that can grow to a height of 150'. A large deck will be a fairly radical alteration of the existing environment of a very large established tree. This tree is not the type of tree chosen for planting in small patches of dirt in parking lots.

• floraluk2
    12 days ago

I'm not referring to trees in small patches of dirt in parking lots. There are plenty of huge trees, lindens, planes etc growing in built environments. The OPs tree roots very probably spread well into next doors property.

Anyway, the OP seems to have gone AWOL.

• arcy_gw
    12 days ago

There goes any and all money for the veranda expansion. Taking a tree down of that size will be $$$$$$$. Looming trees like this one are scattered all over neighborhoods. Statistically you are more likely to slip in your shower than you are to have it fall. The county came through and 'umbrella' cut a beautiful blue spruce we had on the edge of our property. It looks ridiculous. The tree will survive. Do you have a pole saw? It's a pretty easy job.

• floraluk2
    11 days ago

That tree is far too large to move and the OP has no intention of cutting it down.