Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rounger

Help with window grills.

True North Med.
20 days ago

We are almost ready to commit to our windows. We have decided on black casements with large grills for the front of the house. I’m wondering if it’s ok to have the back of the house without grills? Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, would you add grill lines to the small powder room window on the porch? We are painting our pink brick as well. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    20 days ago

It’s a modern house, skip the grills. All sides of the house she look the same or it looks like you cut corners.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    20 days ago

‘Should’

• Yvonne Martin
    20 days ago

Don't paint the brick.

• BPMBA
    19 days ago

No grills anywhere.

• millworkman
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

No grilles anywhere, and do not paint the brick. The house does not need grille and they never look correct on sliding windows bedsides that.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago

As mentioned you have a contemporary home. No grilles on any windows.

Your home isn't that old, why do you need new windows?

I have a mixed reaction about changing the color of the brick. First, NEVER use acrylic house paint on brick. It will peel off.

If you insist on changing the color use limewash on the brick.

• kandrewspa
    19 days ago

You didn't say what color you're planning on painting the brick. If you were to paint it white with black windows it's going to look like a Modern Farmhouse fail. I would keep the brick the same and install bronze windows without muntins. I can't get behind painting brick unless the brick is really ugly. While you may be tired of it, it really isn't that bad. Do you want to have to paint it over and over again when the paint ages? And trying to make a house look like a style it isn't is never a good idea.

• phassink
    19 days ago

What would really up the curb appeal of your home would be a stately garage door. There are many options in all price ranges that would bring some pizzazz to an already attractive house.

• doods
    19 days ago

I agree no need to paint the brick. Other upgrades would improve the overall appearence, ex: better landscaping, garage door as mentioned above, lighter colored front door to lighten up and make your front entry more prominent. I know painting brick seems to be the in thing now, key word being now, but for how long is the question. Your brick looks good and is classic, which to me is a plus.

• millworkman
    19 days ago

" You do know casement windows are often not egress windows so make sure about that since code says bedrooms need egress windows "

Those are sliding windows upstairs, not casements.

• palimpsest
    19 days ago

I don't understand the comment about casement windows not being an egress window. The entire sash opens and if it meets the number of square inches necessary why wouldn't it be an egress window. For the same area, a double hung may not be because half of it opens at a time. In my neighborhood in new construction virtually all the egress windows are casement (?)

• millworkman
    19 days ago

" The entire sash opens and if it meets the number of square inches necessary why wouldn't it be an egress window. "

Needs to be a certain clear opening width in addition to the square inch requirements, and in casements the rule of thumb is pretty much a 3' wide unit with the normal hardware.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago

• PRO
    True North Med.
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thank you all for your time. I’ve taken some more pics. The garage door is new unfortunately, but we can paint it. We aren’t 100% on painting the brick yet, I also get sad when people paint over beautiful brick. I wouldn’t call this brick beautiful. The house needs something, I’m just not sure what. It came with shutters but they were small and very ugly. As for landscaping, we have come a long way! I wish I could find the before from 8 years ago. The garden is actually very full and lovely from about June -Nov. I’m in Ontario.

The first photo is an idea from a fellow Houzzer. I do like white, but we would go more on the creamier side if we went that route.

I’d love for someone to sell me on black windows, and a colour for shutters, garage, front door, facia/soffit. I’d rather not paint the brick but I can’t visualize it looking ok as is. Thanks again.

• PRO
    True North Med.
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Also, we are replacing because they are 20 years old and there is a lot of moisture and mold on and in them. It’s time.

• RedRyder
    18 days ago

I own a brick house and we power washed it a couple of years ago. Even thought it was built in 2010, the change in the color after power washing was incredible. Power wash the house if it’s over 10 years old and reassess the idea of black windows.

Looking at the color of your brick, you might like the combination of bronze windows and using SW Urbane Bronze or Black Fox on your door. Straight black looks severe to me.

Leave the wood garage door as is - it looks great.

• houssaon
    18 days ago

i would not paint the brick. I agree about going with bronze rather than a harsh black.

• PRO
    True North Med.
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Thanks @redryder. I like that idea for the windows. The wood garage door is not mine lol someone did that online. I wish! The actual pic is above.

• RedRyder
    18 days ago

😂 Shows you how well Beverly integrated a wood garage door into your photos!

I would paint that white door the same deep color. I have a huge annoyance with the “white garage prominence” in modern architecture. Giving it a deep color is more of a design statement, while simultaneously reducing its glare.

Your house is lovely. I’m hoping we are convincing you to work with the brick instead of throwing up your hands and painting it .

(If it’s any consolation, it took a lot of time to just figure out the color of my front door! My brick is in the orange family. )