Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sobia_naeem

Bathroom design question

Sobia Naeem
13 days ago

Need help on a bathroom remodel .originally a powder room and now converting to a full bathroom by adding a standing shower .

one wall has stacked ledger travertine accent wall .

now trying to figure what tile to use on the rest of the walls and floor and shower area

Comments (10)

• enajasereht
    13 days ago

I would start from scratch and get rid of that tile first. It doesn't really belong. Too much texture for a full bathroom. You don't want moisture from the shower to leave the possibility of mold and mildew to grow in the crevices.

• PRO
    Sobia Naeem
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

This wall is in a nonwet area and will stay .need to coordinate something else to go with the travertine tile on the other walls

• teamaltese
    12 days ago

Even a "nonwet"area will be affected by steam. Also, that texture behind the sink and toilet is very hard to clean and sanitize. If you’re set on keeping it, I’d get a color wheel and match the darkest color, and find a solid, large format tile to match that. Might as well let the travertine be the star.

• arcy_gw
    12 days ago

Darkest? How about lightest...caves are over rated.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

IMO that travertine wall is the worst thing in the space . Is this a space near a bedroom? I see no point in a shower or tub in a PR not serving a bedroom nearby. A to scale floor plan will also give us some clue as to how you plan to add the shower . Post the lan here on graph paper showing every measurement door way and window all clearly marked posted in jpeg format in a comment then you will get real help. DO NOT start another post . If you strat with what you are not willing to do you get limited help

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Simple tiles coordinate well once you have a stone wall playing the starring role. Look at tan and beige tiles from American Olean and Dal Tile. Their classic lines have several sizes and shapes, plus all the trim pieces.

A good exhaust fan will minimize humidity from the shower.

https://www.daltile.com/tile-product-category

• S J
    12 days ago

I would go with a very simple tan to match the lightest tone in the travertine.

• marmiegard_z7b
    12 days ago

I’d also bring home samples of several light tans— not the deep apricot of the wall shown. Something that standard white toilet or other white porcelain fixtures you might be using still goes with, since they are classic. The exact “ tan” might depend on what kind of tile, its texture and undertones and what you need, so that’s why look at a range & see what jumps out as wrong or right.

Then if get a good light- to medium neutrals, you will be able to pick towels & things— ranging from white to beige to pumpkin , depending on what you like. A green plant ( a real one that tolerates lower light) would look fresh with all the earthy tones— if there’s room. Or wall art.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    12 days ago

I would try to lighten it up. Something like this

Take the lightest colors out of the tile . Keep it a simple pattern. Even go with large format tile so that is stays " quiet" since the travertine is so busy. You could even do the floor in the same tile like shown here.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Sobia Naeem
    Original Author
    12 days ago

There is a study adjacent to it that has been converted into a bedroom and now adding a standing shower and modifying the space .