Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suebeulke

How to decorate awkward niche in basement guest bathroom

suebeulke
13 days ago

suggestions on what to do with this awkward niche in interior (no windows) basement guest bath

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

I need to see the whole space posted here in comments DO NOT start another post .

• kandrewspa
    13 days ago

Open shelving or frame it and put a door on it for closed storage. It's easy to lose things in the back of 24" deep shelves, so if you think that might happen, put a false back in it to make the space shallower. Pull-out shelves wouldn't work in this hard to access space.

• suebeulke
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Additional photos

• marylut
    13 days ago

What do you still need in guest bath but no where to store it? Suggest avoiding dust collectors. Suggest for hygienic purposes (not everyone closes toilet lid before flushing) nothing you can’t disinfect with clorox

• apple_pie_order
    13 days ago

Leave the base shelf empty for the guest to put their toiletry kit there. A framed travel print could go in the niche.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

Wow, it’s so tempting to see it as useful storage but I think it will be hard to put much there AND have it look good unless able ti do custom closed cabinetry. And even then.

I like apple_pie’s keep it simple. I’d probably try to find a waterproof tray that fits the decor & looks good, since ggd area looks like drywall or something. Or don’t even need a rim— a piece of granite or quartz, but finished. Just brainstorming, so not sure what. Might be something in Kitchen ware— like a marble/ faux marble piece or even tempered glass. To set guest’s things on as noted, since there’s not much counter space. Could have a small decor item on it that can be moved easily if someone’s staying with you. Not a faux plant though. Then the art above. The point is to have it look good and intentional, but embrace the openness and not gew-gaw it up. It is what it is.
  • Jackie Kemper
    13 days ago

Roll up some nice fluffy towels and stack them in that area. Get nice towels to match the bathroom if it is a guest bathroom.

• jo mu
    13 days ago

What's on the other side of that wall ? If it's a bedroom I'd close it up.get the sqft om the other side where it's accessible

• C Kasp
    13 days ago

I like the idea above of purposeful shelves, with maybe a false back to shorten the depth, except maybe at the bottom for the rolled towel idea from Jackie. Something decorative possibly and a picture in the toilet area. Maybe bright white paint to help with lack of window...just have fun with it!

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

I avoided the towel stack idea thinking the towels might not be used often— specifically big bath towels. So I don’t like open towel storage that looks so nice in photo shoots because I don’t think they stay clean for several months.

Now, if you intentionally rotate your own bath towels between 2 sets, that might work. Or, if you found a covered large square chest that just fits in the cubby, or a lacquered box- and could be dusted ( I don’t like most baskets out permanently in bathrooms because get dusty & can’t be cleaned easily), then you could store most anything. This is the kind of dilemma where you might have several possible ideas, maybe one is ideal but you aren’t able to execute it right now, but it’s in mind in case the parts turn up.

Another decor approach might be immediately doable without being too permanent ( hanging a fun but inexpensive art print).

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

Guests can always use more space to stash their bathroom items when staying at your home. I'd put shelves in and believe me, guests will fill them up with their stuff. I would make a false back so they are more shallow.