Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_loudon

replacing cabinet hardware

Ac Lb
12 days ago

Painting our cabinets white. Would replacing pulls with the pictured ones make a difference?

Comments (40)

• jck910
    12 days ago

without seeing the entire kitchen hard to tell but I would probably say yes

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Walls and cabinets will be sw alabaster white.

• jck910
    11 days ago

Will the island be white? Don't think the ORB will work well with the cherryit is now

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Our goal is to eventually replace the island, so we didn't bother. Why, do you think it would improve the look if it were white?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

See my answer on your other post.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you!!

• akshoppng
    11 days ago

Gold hardware would look better as your island seems to have gold hardware.

• akshoppng
    11 days ago

Could try some clear acrylic or crystal hardware too for a touch of glam

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I currently have oil bronze.

• latifolia
    11 days ago

The proposed ones look like crud collectors.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Also considering these

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

I think oil rubbed bronze is going to look like little dark slash marks against the white. I'd go with a lighter metal - chrome, nickel, brass. I second the crud collector concern. And yes, I think your kitchen would look much better with the island painted white as well. If you are replacing it within a year, don't bother to paint it. But within 2 years - I'd certainly paint it.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Kendrah we were considering painting it blk, but decided to just wait until we replace it altogether.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

We're going with oil rubbed bronze because all of our fixtures are that color.

• chicagoans
    11 days ago

I think it’s ok to mix metals between your light fixtures and pulls. But if you’re concerned about coordinating with your ORB fixtures but interested in other finishes, you could consider Emtek Select, which lets you pick different finishes for the center bar and the posts. You can also choose between knurled and smooth bars. Just sharing in case you’re interested!

https://www.myknobs.com/pdp/emtek-select-knurled-cabinet-pull/emtek-84055recus10bsmus15/emtek-6-centers-rectangular-stem-in-oil-rubbed-bronze-and-smooth-bar-in-satin-nickel

• PRO
    11 days ago

I actually like the look of dark hardware on white cabinets and have it in both my primary home and vacation home. I don't think it looks like "slash" marks at all. It gives it a casual and frankly, more interesting look, especially in a large kitchen with all white cabinets. Nickel and brass seem a bit more formal to me. But that's just my take on it.

The hardware I've used is RH oil-rubbed bronze and Rejuvenation oil-rubbed bronze. Both are almost black, and have held up very well for over 10 years. I also have black lighting fixtures in the rooms.

• PRO
    Patricia Justice Designs, LLC
    11 days ago

Hi, Don't know if I missed any notes regarding the island and countertops being replaced? Are you keeping the countertops? Just trying to get the gist of everything that is staying. What is the style/decor of the rest of your home?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Yes, unfortunately counters and island are staying. We plan to replace them eventually, but not for 5+ years. We like a transitional/traditional style. I'll include some pics of my space.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you for your input Diane!

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

My pulls are from Knobs4Less. Brand is Rusticware and they have held up well. We needed more than one size pull, so having different size specifics reduced our options. They are ORB. No sharp edges.

We used knobs on the upper doors.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

They're beautiful!!

• Ally De
    10 days ago

Depending on the height of the people who use the kitchen, and the height of the drawers - those t bars will (eventually, given enough time) eat some of your pants.

The first time they caught and ripped a pair of shorts, I forgave them and said I'd be more careful. But then they caught and wrecked my most favorite pair of yoga pants ever - and that is the day they were banished.

YMMV, of course. :-)

• PRO
    10 days ago

Love your kitchen Red!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I ran to Home Depot to see how the style looks in my kitchen. I don't have my doors on yet, but here are a couple of pics. What do you think? These are blk. I need to order oil rubbed bronze.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

RedRyder you kitchen is gorgeous and I love your hardware!

@Ac lb I detest the T-bar knobs.... I have not ripped any clothing but I find them to get tugged on things. We foolishly put them in our bathroom a few years ago. Big regret. They will disappear after the reno.

Have you seen these...

Cosmas 4389ORB Oil Rubbed Bronze 3” CTC Cabinet Pull · More Info

Square Cabinet Pull Style 8864, Oil Rubbed Bronze, 3.5"-89mm · More Info

Cosmas 7714-128FB Flat Black Cabinet Pull · More Info

Cosmas 1481-96FB Flat Black Modern Contemporary Cabinet Pull · More Info

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I think I found something that'll work!

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

Those will work! I like the metal - it’s “brushed” looking.

Thank you @Boxerpal for the compliment on my kitchen.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you Red Ryder!! One last question- I'm replacing the ones pictured. Do you think it'll still make an impact?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Okay ladies... one more question! Which style do you think would look best-wider base or smaller?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I went with these. They'll arrive tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

I’m biased! My kitchen is SW Creamy with ORB handles so I love the combination. Here’s what the whole room looks like.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Wow, your kitchen is gorgeous!! Thank you for the encouragement and guidance!!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    8 days ago

They came in! Here is an idea of what they'll look like. They're very similar to my current pulls, but I still think they'll make a difference. What do you think?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Thank you all for helping me out so far!
    They've started to install our kitchen. Still waiting on the doors. We need to select different rectangular handles as the bases of the ones I ordered were too small.
    I have one more question- we're replacing the hinges for smaller , less ornate ones. Would you go with oil bronzed ones as pictured or paint them white to blend in more? Thank you in advance!!

• PRO
    6 days ago

I kind of like exposed hinges, so I would leave them as is. Also is that one of your original pulls in photo #1? It looks absolutely fine so that's something else I would leave as is--just reinstall them when the doors go back up.

Are you painting the island as well?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Thank you. I'd like to also replace the pulls with something a bit more rectangular and simple.

• PRO
    6 days ago

Ok, was just a suggestion--you do you.

• chloe00s
    6 days ago

I like what you decided on. I had the t-bar stainless in my white Shaker kitchen with black Virginia Mist/Jet Mist counters, but decided to change to black in a style very similar to the ones you chose. I liked the clean look with no “backplate” against the wood. The simpler ones look more updated but still work with our transitional house.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

My husband wants black pulls now... which style do you like most?