Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacaytime

Are Zellige and similar tiles high maintenance?

vacaytime
14 days ago

I have loved the look of the more organic or imperfect type of tile for years. I was really hoping to use it in my remodel. Recently however, I have been seeing a bunch of videos from people who are cleaners posting what they would not have in their own house after being a cleaner. The zellige type tiles come up pretty regularly.

The last time I built a house was in 1997. I was obsessed with 1920s or thereabouts designs and chose many products based on that. I paid a hefty sum to get actual white subway tile and put it in my bathrooms. It was bulletproof and also easy to design around and I still loved it when I sold the house 24 years later.

In this house I want more personality or umph, plus it is in a vacation area so is not like my prior suburban colonial home.

Would love to hear from others who live with these tiles, or maybe suggestions for something that is impactful but not an upkeep nightmare.

some pics from my wishboad for fun

Comments (8)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

You see the abundant grout? Got a weekly cleaning person?

there ya go:)

vacaytime thanked JAN MOYER
  • vacaytime
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks for the replies. I had company for the weekend and just got a chance to sit down.

I will have a weekly service for the bathrooms, so they will get cleaned regularly. I couldn’t figure out why these posts kept saying the zelige tiles specifically were high maintenance, maybe it’s the grout they have an issue with. I asked on the videos in question, but never got a response.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

If you want the cleaning service to quit? Have at it: )

Yes,,,,,,,, it is the grout and the amount of grout. Would YOU want to go at this with a scrub brush? I'd pass, that much is certain, and that is glazed tile. Unglazed tile would simply be harder.

• PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago

Zellige is a low temp fired ceramic that is as porous as natural stone. Or more so, depending on source. It's a problem in wet areas with water absorption. Maybe think about a higher temp fired man made ceramic that mimics the hand made look. It will be easier to clean, and you won't have to worry about cleaners using standard acid based bathroom cleaning products. A pH neutral stone and tile cleaner is still best, but cleaners are gonna use what they want.

• Helen
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I don't know if my tile qualifies

My bathroom is principally Encore hand fired tile with a crackle glaze. I love it as it has movement. It was sealed and after six years still looks perfect.

I also have some other tile in there as part of the design as my inspiration was the old style Art Deco bathrooms which had contrasting tile colors and patterns.

The edges of my hand fired Encore tile are tannish and I got a grout that blends in to the edge as opposed to any kind of high contrast grout that mades a statement.

I have Calacatta marble basketweave tile on my floors (again homage to classic Deco bathrooms) and they still look pristine. Again I chose a soft gray grout - they still look fine.

I have marble counters which I also used for the curb and bench in my bathroom - no stains and they look fine. I chose a very muted French Vanilla pattern.

I don't do anything special in terms of upkeep - I use liquid soap and not bar soap and spray down the shower and my doors (which have Showerguard and also look pristine with no special attention).

I do have an excellent Panasonic Whisper Fan which runs on sensing ambient moisture levels in my bathroom and so there is no condensation on doors or mirrors after about 2 minutes of shutting off the shower.

At such time as as the grout looks "tired" I would just hire a professional cleaner. I live in a condo which has marble tile and periodically the grout is cleaned professionally and looks great. As I posted mine still looks fine from just normally washing down periodically.

• btydrvn
    12 days ago

Personally I would not choose “a look” with a high maintenance profile…there are so many other things I want to do… besides cleaning…

• chloe00s
    12 days ago

Don’t go for the Zellige. If that’s the look you want, there are now lots of ceramic tiles available with the Zellige look. If you want tiles you get grout, not sure what all the fuss is about grout…