Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_arnold30

How do you organize your home information?

I would love some inspiration from those with a wonderful system for organizing their home information. Currently, I have manila folders. New washing machine? I staple the receipt to the manual and toss it into the "appliance" file and throw out the manual for the old one.

Same thing for major repairs, like a new roof or air conditioner.

My systems works (usually) but I would love to see an improved version that I would be proud to pass along to the next homeowner someday.

Comments (12)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    14 days ago

My system is like your system - good old fashioned file cabinet. I even have paint chips. I do have a system for annual maintenance- things are always done on quarter, depending on how often and the season. So Jan 1, April 1, July 1, and Oct 1. Things that have to be done every other month are done odd number months, every other day is odd numbered days, etc. Those things I put in my email calendar. I have my daily calendar emailed to me every day, so on the first day of the quarter, I print the calendar and cross off the maintenance items as they are done.

J from Lakes Country thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • lkloes
    14 days ago

I have a Google sheet with all of my paint colors/brands/sheens for every room in the house. I also label each can with a painters tape label that specifies what room/surface the paint is for (walls, ceilings, trim, etc.).

J from Lakes Country thanked lkloes
  • jck910
    14 days ago

I have 1 file box with hanging folders. 1 each for Kitchen, DR. LR, Den, all Bathrooms, all Bedrooms, garage, shed & cellar. In addition, a manila folder for Appliances goes in the Kitchen folder. TV info goes in the room it is in. All receipts, paint chips, etc go in designated folders. It works for me. I don't have any quarterly, etc. scheduled Maintenace so no need for calendar.

Simple & efficient.

J from Lakes Country thanked jck910
  • Candace
    14 days ago

I have mine in sheet protectors in large (4”) 3 ring binders - one for large appliances, one for small appliances & outdoor stuff (BBQ, etc) and another one for miscellaneous/electronics.

J from Lakes Country thanked Candace
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Maintenance includes servicing systems, filter changes, exterminators, winterizing, summarizing, lawn care, inspections, pet grooming, flea/tick meds, regular personal appointments, pool cleanings, gym/classes, automobile, etc. It’s more of a”To Do” list but it’s helpful to just put it in the calendar as a recurring appointment so you don’t forget.

• bpath
    13 days ago

Binders. The kitchen appliances binder is kept in the kitchen, everything else is in the home office. Binders for everything, including yard and yard equipment, vehicles, ”toys”, health, finance, you name it, it has a binder.

• acm
    13 days ago

I'm with you -- basically we have a "house renovations" folder with receipts, and another with info of specific types, like alarm company. A billion folders just end up with one piece of paper each. Or maybe I know after 20 years in a house that you don't need most of it.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    13 days ago

Great topic! I need to get it together - my stuff is shoved in various drawers or file boxes around the house!

• JT7abcz
    13 days ago

I keep hard copies in file folders in a cabinet too but have found I'm mostly looking up information electronically because I'm not where the hard copies are kept when I need them. Also, having experienced a couple of major insurance claims, the electronic records are invaluable.

I scan or save major receipts to my computer in File Folders which are organized much like the hard copy folders. I'm a die-hard Quicken fan because I have to look info up all the time and it makes it easy. As transactions get downloaded from banking and credit card companies, I'll attach a copy of important receipts to the transaction.

I can search Quicken for "Appliances" or "Pool Remodel 2023" or "Joe's Plumbing", click on the receipt or reports and see model numbers, supplier names, or detail on repairs made. If more detailed specs are needed, I'll google the model before I look for the hard copy. When we have warranty or insurance claim issues, receipts are ready to be uploaded.

I also periodically take photos of rooms and valuables and save them to the cloud.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

"Currently, I have manila folders. New washing machine? I staple the receipt to the manual and toss it into the "appliance" file and throw out the manual for the old one.

Same thing for major repairs, like a new roof or air conditioner......."

So. IT WORKS? : ) Then I'd ask what is the issue? To me, as long as you know where the folders are, you are fine, barring a fire that torches the folders.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    4 days ago

I have a pile. The pile of receipts (with or without manuals) are all in the same drawer, but it's just a pile. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've needed something from that pile in the last 10 years, so I'm not wasting more time on organizing it better. Most manuals are available online, and products are usually registered with the company automatically when you buy them these days.