Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alhacha

Help me decorate this guest room

Ali Hacha
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

I’d love some ideas on how to decorate this

bedroom. I need new nightstands, lamps, curtains, decor. Bedding is new so will stay, as well as the bureau. Would rather not invest in new bed, but maybe a headboard . Thanks for your advice!

Comments (18)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Get a longer curtain rod for the bed wall and do nice drapes and sheers all the way across. A coordinating fabric blind for the other window. Better and matching nightstands with storage and bigger lamps. Why does the bureau have to stay? It blocks the closet.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Here you go. Might not be your style but same concept.

Ali Hacha thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • akshoppng
    13 days ago

Longer drapes to floor in lighter neutral color. Remove floor lamp. Coordinating colors on bed and drapes

• Paul F.
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Ali Hacha thanked Paul F.
  • enajasereht
    13 days ago

My guests don't use the closet. Go figure?! They do use the luggage rack and the coat rack though.

• Ali Hacha
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Shady Willow Farm: Great idea about extending the curtains along the wall. They have to be functional though to block out light. I guess I can make it work. The bureau is in front of the closet because the room is only 10x11 and that's the only place it will go! It is a secretary desk that my son uses for remote work when he comes to visit so it has to stay,

Paul F: Thank you for the mock up!! I love the idea of a patterned drape, changes the whole look. I wish I could leave the smaller window without drapes but my son prefers darkness when he sleeps. There are custom shades on each window but alas not dark enough for him. I should have gotten them in blackout.

• marylut
    13 days ago

Looks like you have baseboard heat, so no fire hazard drapes, use shades instead - roman shades if you want fabric, woven if you want more rustic vibe to coordinate with the chest. Padded headboard no higher than window sill. Hang wall sconces to give you more space on the nightstands. Toss a sofa throw across the foot of the bed for color. Nightstands with drawers for storage. Remove the yellow fluffy thing.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Add layers to your bedding, natural wood nightstands with larger lamps, assorted woven baskets on the wall, lighter shade of curtains, art, flatweave mat...

Ali Hacha thanked lisedv
  • Ali Hacha
    Original Author
    13 days ago

lisedv: Thank you! The lighter colors are very soothing. For some reason I was stuck on navy...

• RedRyder
    13 days ago

I always prefer a nightstand with at least one drawer. They are more practical.

Ali Hacha thanked RedRyder
  • Ali Hacha
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Red Ryder: thanks for sourcing those! I'll check them out.

• Paul F.
    9 days ago

There is a baseboard heater so long drapes will not work there.

• Boxerpal
    9 days ago

Oh you have a beautiful bedroom for your guests and son. I think bigger bolder lamps that are a bit taller... Maybe frame the map in a dark navy or black frame.

Wondering since you can not do long drapes because of a heater.. .Could you do plantation shutters? Maybe get room darkening ones... I love the wood floors too.

Guest Bedroom by Dona Rosene Interiors · More Info

Roman shades

Herb River Drive · More Info

Notice this lamp is a little larger. The floors look like yours.

I happen to like this one becasue of the boxer dog.

Arts District Remodel · More Info

Ali Hacha thanked Boxerpal
  • chloe00s
    8 days ago

You said the bedding is staying. But is this a guest room for anyone other than your son? Because the dark pillows and geometric accent pillow still say “son’s room”. You can work with the duvet, but I would change out the dark pillows, accent pillow (and dark curtains) to something lighter, or a subtle gray/white pattern.

Ali Hacha thanked chloe00s
  • Ali Hacha
    Original Author
    5 days ago

ChloeOOs: Your're right, it still looks like a young man's room! I'll think about that,.

Boxerpal: There are custom pleated shades in the windows (but unfortunately, they are not black out) so I am loathe to replace them again. Drapes behind the bed hanging just above the baseboard will be fine, the other window I will just have to come to terms with being short! That's just how we roll here in New England, we care more about keeping things warm!

• Boxerpal
    5 days ago

I am originally from the Boston area, my summer home is in NH so I totally get the need to protect from the cold.

• PRO
    Discover Curtains
    5 days ago

Add floor to ceiling long drapes Visit www.discovercurtains.com