Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_bissonnette

How can improve this house's curb appeal with plants?

Danielle B
13 days ago

This grand old historic home is located in south eastern Canada, and is going to have major renovations done in a couple of years. In the meantime, we are sprucing it up to make it more appealing for monthly rental.

The railings and stairs will be fixed this Spring, and we are cleaning up the yard of debris, fallen branches and rotting logs. I am looking for ideas to improve its curb appeal with plants. The front porch has two shabby planters that we want to change. There is also a huge rose bush that we will cut down as it is a safety hazard, being so close to the stairs. I am thinking of replacing this with two bushes on either side, ideally safe around pets and children. There are day lilies in the garden beds near the trellis, and I will plant some Heavenly Blue morning glories to climb on the trellises.

The house is situated across the road from a lake and there is a marsh, a pond and a basin in the front yard. It is surrounded by forest and mountains.

Comments (10)

• jck910
    13 days ago

Paint the lattice so that it is as white as the house. Is somebody going to water the planters. Renters usually don't.

Danielle B thanked jck910
  • Kendrah
    13 days ago

I wouldn't invest much if you are going to a. damage or redo it during upcoming renovation in a few years, and b. are going to have renters there. How often do you want to come to water and prune new shrubs and plants, and rip down morning glories at the end of the summer? Your beautiful natural surroundings and yard are the curb appeal.

Danielle B thanked Kendrah
  • Danielle B
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Yes, someone is paid for maintenance. This is a large estate with seasonal rental. Morning glories do not grow back around here and need to be replanted each year. The vines will be mulched at the end of the season. Planters would also have annuals.

• PRO
    Danielle B thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

I would not do anything in planters, they need daily water in the summer. Some big fluffy bushes in front of the porch should be sufficient. I’m not from the area but my house in downeast Maine was essentially abandoned for two years before I purchased it and has stunning hydrangeas that clearly take no care! The house should be amazing once it’s restored!

Danielle B thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I live in Canada and my advice go to the local arden center and check wjat plants do well where you are . There are lots of plants that do well on a trellis that do not require replanting every year . Tes clean up the yard and honestly a few plantings to make it look a bit better but if a major renovation is happening that is where I would spen my money . Maybe a free standing deck with some furniture would be a better use of money right now and just a couple of big pots filled with annuals if there is someone looking after that for renters . Is this always going to be a rental? I sure hope when the reno starts that really awkward roof top is dealt with

Danielle B thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Danielle B
    Original Author
    11 days ago

A few clarifications are needed. Unfortunately, I had not noticed that the last portion of the rooftop looked white, instead of green. This is due to a reflection of the sun. The entire rooftop is oxydized copper, so it is green. These old patina rooftops are quite desirable and part of the houses charm.

There is already outdoor furniture, but due to high elevation, our last frost date is quite late in spring, so it is still in storage. We can still get snow accumulstionaccumulation in May and nights below freezing in June can happen.

At this point, we are looking for quick hits to make the house appealing to seasonal renters. There are hired gardeners and I can come and water plants on dry days.

Does anyone have specific plants to recommend? What type of planters would you use?

• Sigrid
    11 days ago

In SE Canada, you have so many choices, particularly near your marsh and pond. Lobelia syphilitica, buttonbush, spirea alba and tomentosa, jow pye weed, culver's root.

In your picture, we can't see the yard. I'd create a seating area near the pond and flank it with some planting. Maybe you need a gazebo, as Maine (not that far from SE Canada) can be buggy in the Spring.

What colors are you planning to paint the house? Is the green the copper roof? My house has some statue-of-liberty green copper roof and we used SW Juniper blue, which goes really well with the roof. Our door is SW Fine Wine and we have some landscaping that matches it, like a Japanese maple and some wine heuchera and hsuker's red penstemmon.

But, for a rental, you want to create spaces where renters can see themselves hanging out and enjoying the beauty. Maybe it's a lovely porch with Adirondack chairs and sun shining in a wine glass on a table between them. Maybe it's a patio overlooking the pond.

If you are going to do major renovations, you probably don't want to plant foundation plantings now, which is all we could see to recommend. I got my house painted this year and cringed as the painters stood or put their ladders on my gardens, which surround the house, by the foundation.

So, I'd assess your lot, identify some spots to create beauty and then look at what would go there

Danielle B thanked Sigrid
  • Maureen
    11 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Is your home in Quebec by chance? I‘m from Montreal and it has a familiar feel of the Eastern Townships and the Laurentien's.

Perhaps imagine yourself as a renter. The veranda is the best place to start budget wise, as it’s an important aspect of summer living and it can be a huge asset, create an inviting spot to gather and I think it will really help to attract buyers, combined with some landscaping.

Suggest whatever large plants/bushes that are suited to the soil/amount of light, will fill out nicely, are more or less maintenance free, added to the entire front. A friend of mine added hydrangea (summers in the Laurentien's) to her 100 year old cottage and it‘s lovely. Idea below.

I’d have a wildflower garden placed where most appropriate and include a bench.

https://www.southernliving.com/garden/plants/cottage-garden-plants?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=southernliving_9707745&utm_content=textoverlay_garden&utm_term=southerngarden_202105

I think the more lawn you have the better for games, children to play, etc. These options will be enjoyed, are attractive and will be low maintenance.

Danielle B thanked Maureen