Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_goudie

hallway nook needs help

Laura G
10 days ago

Just wondering if anyone can help me save this hallway nook. The chaise lounge here is used for storage but otherwise is dead weight and just looks kinda random. It’s upstairs where all the bedrooms are and our lounge and dining area are downstairs. Our family spend majority of our time downstairs hence this space doesn’t really get used. I kind of want to turn it into a reading nook and a space to display our books, as we don’t have the space downstairs for a bookshelf (we just have a few books on display on our tv cabinet shelves). Ideally I’d like the books to be easily accessed by our toddler. I imagine it could be a cosy place to read books together before bedtime.

Comments (23)

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

I understand the temptation to use every nook and cranny of your home, and I love anything that encourages kids to read. I don't love the idea of encouraging kids to spend time chilling at the top of a staircase.

It is not a good idea to move the chaise down any closer to the top of the stairs because kids can climb and jump on it and take a tumble. Not a great idea to put shelves at the current foot of the chaise because again they can climb on it and take a tumble down the stairs.

Are there any places in their bedrooms where you can put book display shelves at a low reachable height with book jackets facing out?

443 Greenwich · More Info

• JT7abcz
    10 days ago

I like your idea. Creating a reading nook sounds like it will help with the toddler's nightly bedtime ritual and it may be used by the rest of the family too.

Because it's an area that leads to all the bedrooms, I'd select attractive pieces, very comfortable seating (no one wants to stretch out and read on a hard bench) and soft pillows. Lighting is important too. You can either use furniture pieces to stage a nook or get one custom built.

• deegw
    10 days ago

Will you post a picture that shows a wide view of the hallway?

• Laura G
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Deegw - here is a wide view of the hallway

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

This doesn’t look like a safe play area for a toddler..or a convenient space for books since there will not be room for comfy seating…it does look like a good spot for storage for all the things you need upstairs..like bed and bath linens…winter blankets….extra bath supplies…with the handy drop off space on top for things that need to be put away or taken downstairs ….in the near future

• deegw
    10 days ago

I don't see room for seating and a bookcase. I would put a bookcase under the window, a cheery Roman shade on the window and bigger art on the walls. How about framing some prints of children's book covers?

If you want to encourage reading I think it is best to display as many books as possible and make them easily accessible. The kiddos can sprawl in the hallway or go to their bedrooms to read.

• Laura G
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts everyone 😊 I’ll have a think about an appropriate place to pop a bookshelf. I think there’s a good spot in my kiddo’s room, will just have a look and see what’s out there and whether it will fit.
    I’ll also look to expand on the artwork upstairs and like the idea to add in a colourful Roman blind in the nook

• Kay p
    10 days ago

I have soft decorative baskets on the floor with books for when the grandchildren come over. They can access them safely

• Valinta
    10 days ago

no bookshelves (aka ladders) in hall or top of stairs. Just a nice roman shade, and a cozy cat bed.

• auntthelma
    10 days ago

Honestly, I’d put a cool cat tree there. the cat already likes the window. We have a cat tree in the family room. The cat loves it. I hate it. If I had an out of the way, sunny window spot that was not in the family room, we would both be happy. 😊

• S J
    9 days ago

hmmmm...I like the idea of a bookshelf on the right of the window, with a window seat under. It can be designed so that the "climbing" issue (as many folks have mentioned) doesn't come into play.

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

Books in a basket sound perfect… since books settle kids down.. being able to move the books to where you would like the kids to be at any given time…. I also think books at every stage of growth establish a nice foundation for the joy of reading and learning

• apple_pie_order
    9 days ago

A chest of drawers that reaches the windowsill would be a good place for a cat perch.

• J Mig
    9 days ago

Is there any worry about a toddler climbing and then falling out the window? We had locks on our windows when our girls were little.

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    9 days ago

I suggest a small (vibtage) dresser here. This will provide you with extra storage for linens, first aid, off season clothes, whatever you need. Style on too with a small lamp, framed family photos, a stack of books and a small house plant.

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    9 days ago

Sorry for the typos!

• Laura G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks for the excellent suggestions 😊 Our house is a new build so handily the windows only open a tiny amount. Nice and safe for bubs.

I love the idea of having a vintage dresser/chest of drawers! I think that’ll fit perfectly there, and of course would have our cats’ approval. I’ll make sure it is far enough away from the stairs that it can’t be used as a ladder.

Also great idea with baskets of books, a nice way to move them easily about the house as needed. I think what I’ll do is set up a nice comfy chair in bubs’ room (it could be the chaise as suggested here but it just depends on whether we can make it fit nicely)

• Laura G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Oops didn’t finish my post!
    I meant to add on that the reading spot can be in bubs’ room with the comfy chair

• btydrvn
    8 days ago

Rocking chairs take less space..and are perfect for the little guys in your lap too..

• Laura G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Found a delightful mid century dresser for the hallway nook! Haven’t purchased yet but hoping to

• Boxerpal
    6 days ago

Oh that is perfect!

• PRO
    Dar Bouchaib
    6 days ago

It sounds like transforming that hallway nook into a reading space is a great idea! You could consider adding built-in shelves or floating shelves along the walls to display your books and make them easily accessible for your toddler. A comfortable reading chair or small sofa with soft cushions could create a cozy atmosphere for reading together. Don't forget to add some soft lighting and maybe a small side table for drinks or snacks. With a few thoughtful touches, it could become a favorite spot for your family to unwind and enjoy storytime together.