Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yearlyinasmuchslight

Is the kitchen island too big?

yearlyinasmuchslight
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

We are designing our new apartment and me and my SO are having a discussion about the layout of the kitchen/living room. Current solution is that the island has to be behind the sofa and it should be the same length to look aligned. That makes the island around 240cm (8ft). To me it seems a bit too big, or am I exaggerating?

UPDATE:

Thanks for so many replies! Just want to clarify couple of things. In reality the island would have cabinets and a two seat part at the edge to make it more functional, and the sofa would be rather simple than sectional, we would aim for similar height too.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

It is too tall and massive looking . IMO the sectional was the wrong chocie and the TV would have been better on the wall with the art and the island not backing onto a sofa. I do not see any cabinets in that piece so what is the reason to have it at all

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Not sure I would say it is too big. It is odd to have the sectional backed up against the islands but it kinda seems to work. Would recommend that you have 48" of clearance between the island and any other cabinetry or adjacent walls.

• herbflavor
    12 days ago

take some of the floor to ceiling storage from the long main wall and place it opposite the sink....hook it to the wall w the painting , instead of this island . You could use more counter on your working wall.

• PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago

This massive island in the living room thing does not work. The kitchen was meant to be a single wall kitchen, without that continent. It compromises the living space.

• J Sk
    12 days ago

The island in this arrangement doesn't make any sense. It's installed on the other side of walkway going through the kitchen. It looks like is a part of living room, not the kitchen.

• k8cd
    12 days ago

The height of it above the sofa seems imposing.

It‘s also likely that someone will hit their head on the countertop while sitting on the sofa. There should be some separation.

• dan1888
    12 days ago

I like the layout. It's logical for a two person space. The island can be the size shown. At 24"/600mm deep, if all drawer units, the storage will be valuable. I'd add a large matching ottoman to the sectional for added reclining when pushed up to the couch and as a 'coffee' table surface. An alternative to the sectional shown is a couch with chaise end. More open, but more two person. The dining setup is optimistic as to capacity.

• J Sk
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

It's not about size of the island. It's the placement. Island in the living room ? You could see the kitchen and living room are separated by walkway, so it doesn't make sense to place island like that.

• k8cd
    12 days ago

What is the island for?

If it is mostly for storage, I would probably get a piece of furniture to go there instead. Shorter than countertop height so it will feel more like a console behind the sofa. And could be moved if needed.

• marmiegard_z7b
    12 days ago

It is not an island if you are backing a piece of furniture up against it. And you would use it for food prep when the sofa is right against it. Why not a free-standing piece of furniture?

So I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to accomplish and how it got manifested as “ island” and a fixed feature as well. Maybe give some more insights into your design goals here.
  • chispa
    12 days ago

I think you are trying to fit a kitchen that is too large for the size of the apartment.

Is this the only living/public space or is there another living room space?

How many bedrooms and how many people will live in this apartment?

• chispa
    12 days ago

Someone is going to crack their head on that "island" edge ... keep a first aid kit handy and use crypton fabric on the sofa!

• dan1888
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

As is emphasized on these forums, make all your lowers drawers. They are easily accessible with full extension slides with soft self-close. 790mm/36in are the minimum for wide drawers. 1200/48im is not too wide. Especially under your cooktop for easy storage of pans. Lighting is also important. Recessed led cans should be positioned in from the counter edge so you don't shadow the work. 450 lumens minimum at the counter. To give your space the most open feel, I'd forego all pendant lights over the island and the dining table. All recessed.

• PRO
    Zumi
    11 days ago

The kitchen should not be more than half of your public living space. Especially since there isn’t enough table space for enough guests to support a kitchen that hugely disproportionate. The big building block in the living room is just a big obstacle fail. It’s disproportionate to the entire small space available, and will never get used for kitchen work in that position. All prep work will occur between the sink and range, as is standard work flow.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

What everyone said, plus it's not in a good proportion--it's too long and narrow.

Go back to the drawing board to get a better layout.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

It's a lot of items in one room. Keeping the back of the sofa and the height of the island about the same could help.

• HU-505073710
    11 days ago

That is far too big for a sofa table. That's all it will ever get used for. It is NOT an "island" and won't ever see a lick of kitchen work occurring on it.

• dan1888
    11 days ago

The island is the width of a standard counter, 24 inches. So, make it 6 inches wider if you want. If I used this kitchen the island counter would be used regularly.

• J Sk
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Looking at above pictures, I can't imagin seating comfortable having the island and countertop behind your head. And top it with the sink behind head where water could splash. Weird idea, especially having guests seating there.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    11 days ago

I don't see anything wrong with the concept. Could work well in a modern minimalist apartment/condo/flat open floor plan.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

I dont' think people speak metric. When that thing reduces a 12' wide living room to a 10' one, it's too intrusive and hogs too much space.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    11 days ago

From the pic I posted the distance from the sofa back to the Tv is about 10 feet. I believe the OP does not wish the sofa back to be directly opposing the kitchen. Looking at the posted floor plan there really is not much flexability in the placement of furnishings. Units like this are very common in the UK and are very challenging when it comes to design.

• rockybird
    11 days ago

Is this a whole apartment remodel? Is the kitchen existing? I dont thikk its bad for strage and couner space like in the photo the kitchen abode posted above.