Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_510880201

Help! Picture Frame Molding

Torie123
12 days ago

I really need help deciding the with of my frames! I have spent countless of hours trying to decide what looks best. One side is 174 inches and the other is 157.5 inches with small wall 46.5. I’m going crazy! I have 10 foot ceilings! Please help! Each picture is a different width frames.

Comments (25)

• Jennz9b
    12 days ago

It does not appear that picture frame molding goes with the style of your home. I would not proceed.

• millworkman
    12 days ago

It's also not called picture frame moulding. Wainscot Wall Panels is one of the correct names.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Wow thanks for the help guys!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

I see some stars on your front door - are you in Texas? Molding like this is very popular in my neighborhood. Many homes (including my former one) have this all over the Living/Family/Dining rooms. Many have molding of different widths to accommodate wall sizes. It seems very common. Perhaps consult someone who has experience with this. I love molding. Good luck!

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Yes I am! Thank you for the advice!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

This is my old house (built 1978). It’s hard to tell in the pix, but that LR and DR molding was different width on each wall. It can be done!

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

No you can’t tell! I honestly love the look of the picture frame moulding or should I say “wainscoting” I was corrected earlier. Anyways, I’m just not sure of the box size to use or if I should just put up chair railing and paint the bottom white and top another color? I’m getting reading to paint to get rid of all the beige but really wanted to add some personality to the entryway! I just can’t decide!

• S J
    12 days ago

If you love wainscotting, the way you have it designed looks good. But, I agree that it doesn't really seem to fit the style of your home.

Instead, get a long, colorful rug, that runs from near the front door through the length of the hallway (bind a carpet piece if you can't find a rug in the right size). Use a patterned textile that pulls the eye down the hall. Then, on the left across from the archway, add a long low bench and mirror. I'd use wood tone that matches your front door. And on the right, across from the rectangular door, add three large pictures (see image), with wood frames similar to your front door. I'd also cloak the area in a fabulous, printed wall paper!

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I definitely want to add the rugs like you’re talking about. What style is my home? I’m really no good as this to be honest. I do like the look of the wainscoting. Would you think chair railing with two tone walls would look good?! I really appreciate your suggestions!

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

Wainscot doesn't strike me as being a good fit with a tile floor. It would look better with a wood floor. Painting the sections above and below chair rail different colors isn't in style right now if this is something you care about. However, if you have wainscot it is commonly white and the wall above can be any color. How formal is your house? Do you have a formal living and dining room? Can you replace the tile with wood? Are you interested in replacing the tile with wood? If you want a more formal look, consider wood floors and proceed with the wainscot. If you are just tired of the wall color, consider painting the hall a color found in adjacent rooms. A real color, not a neutral. Or hang wallpaper. Get some more art, framed nicely. What you have currently looks like it's hung too high, but it's also not large enough for the space. You can always remove the chair rail before painting, too. It's not as popular outside of dining rooms as it used to be. Plenty of people don't like it in dining rooms either anymore.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

So, this is a DIY project? Ive heard it called picture frame molding when it’s higher up on the walls. Anyhoo, if that was me doing this (ha, ha, I hire someone for every task involving tools and measuring…), I’d choose the width I liked, lay it out as you have. Then, I’d make the last frames on each wall, (at the same end), whatever width fits. Does that make sense to you? Please know that this is not professional advice! But I looked at probably 50 houses and the molding is done in this way. If anyone else here wants to advise professionally, I will defer to them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I think you should consider this board and batten style of wainscotting instead. Here are some examples. It will be easier to install.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Kandrewspa—I would love it to be more formal than it is lol! I have a dining room I will post pic below. I would like to put wood floors down but it’s not in the budget unfortunately right now. I like the suggestion on the paint and yes I’m redoing the entryway so I’m looking to get new entryway table,rug, art work and decor.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

This is my dining room

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Would something like this be better than the wainscoting?!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

That example is still picture molding. Your home doesn't seem formal enough to support picture molding, that's the reason I suggest the board and batten wainscoting.

The art above the sideboard should be vertical to take advantage of the height of your ceilings.

The drapery panels need to touch the floor

Those white blinds are not working with the room are they?

The chandelier casts some disturbing shadows in the room.

• Jennz9b
    12 days ago

i would kindly suggest you have many informal elements. Besides the tile, it looks like grommet drapery panels, unframed canvas? it looks like your lovely home is contemporary and casual so if you put in very traditional and formal elements too what results will be a mishmash.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Jennz9b- thank you for your comment. Honesty I really haven’t found my style yet so you’re right I have a lot of different styles going on lol! I plan on changing the kitchen table out to something more contemporary and s casual. It was a cheap buy for the time being. Again thank you for your opinions. It really helps me!

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

Can you post a photo of your house’s exterior? Then we will have a better sense of what it looks like outside.

Hallways are hard to decorate. If you use the wainscoting idea from Beverly and paint it all one color, it will add interest. Cutting the walls “in half” by doing one thing below and another above usually works best in specific house styles. Your initial post made me think you want that to be interesting. One color will do it.

Putting up large artwork is also a good idea. A pretty runner, interesting color on the walls and a big painting also gives it interest.
    But we need to know how this relates to the adjacent rooms as well.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

Just curious, Torie - how old is your home? My experience comes from viewing traditional homes built in the 1970s.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

Here are long narrow hallways for you to get ideas from.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

No wainscoting, just pictures.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Redder- here are a few more pictures of my home. We just bought it so I’m still trying to update to my style and planning on painting soon to get rid of all the beige.

• Torie123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Built in 2013

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

Oh, much newer than I thought. I recommend considering all the ideas here. And I recommend living in it for several months before making changes. That way you can see what works and what doesn’t.