Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marissa_noles

help w kitchen cabinet selection

MARI N
12 days ago

We are building a guest house, so this kitchen doesn’t need to have all of the bells and whistles, but we’d like it to look nice and modern and be fairly neutral. We have the overall layout pretty set, but I need to figure out what type of cabinets/ shelving to do. The current mock-ups look too “heavy”- I think because of the upper cabinets. Any suggestions? I’m open to different cabinet types or colors.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Too heavy........is due to the dark island.

We can't advise a color - we have no Idea what else is in or near the space. We have no idea what needs to be stored.....how the guests will use it. How large is the guest house and for how many at a time. Where is the floor plan for the entire house?

For all we know? You need NO upper cabinets as is a guest going to make a real meal? or is it breakfast and snacks?

You haven't enough information, let alone dimensions, or a flavor and feel you want in total, for the entire guest house.

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks. Wasn’t sure how “big” to make my dilemma. We will use the guest house to house short term rentals (2-4 people) and eventually our aging parents so we do want the kitchen to be fully functional, though I agree that we probably don’t need all the upper cabinets.

Here is the floor plan. It’s about 850 sq ft. The overall feel we’d like in the house is natural and tranquil (we are putting a sauna in the bathroom which is at the core of that inspiration).

• Boxerpal
    11 days ago

Mari N

Wow what a wonderful space you are putting together.

Funny, I don't think it feels heavy at all. Is the color of the island bothering you? What kind of lighting will you be putting in. It's amazing how light can create a lighter feeling to a space. Do you have under cabinet lighting? Is there a window? Could you add one?

Have you perused ideas on Houzz. So many ideas for your theme

natural and tranquil

When I think of natural and tranquil, I do not think of white and black. I think of more natural textures and colors. Soothing and tranquil. What is your favorite color? I see greens, blues, light tans... Nature, Plants, Window looking out to greenery...

Are there other colors in the space you need to work with? A favorite sofa, chair, wall color, wall paper... Since this is all new construction you have the world opened to you....

Here are a few ideas that make me think of Natural and Tranquil

JENNINGS BAY KITCHEN · More Info

Petit Lake Traditional · More Info

Okay maybe a dark island could be more tranquil and give a natural feel.

Portland Mid-Century Modern · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Concordia Residence · More Info

Northridge · More Info

Lakewood Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

I think a bit over done for a guest house but I need a bit more info as to how this space is actaully used.. I try to avoid too many uppers but the space is small is the extra storage a must. ? I also would not do the 2 toned kitchen . For me in a guest space I would do not uppers and that would make the space feel more open.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

Well before anything in the kitchen?

I would clarify the most important users. If the desire is rental money? That is one thing - but it is another issue for "aging parents"

In which case? The layout is not the best, the bathroom is too small for two, as is the shower width access etc.and small vanity

I doubt a sauna, despite a nice luxury...?

We've no idea the time table for the parents, if when etc. or their ages. But most want some sort of dining table and don't want to perch for meals at an island. You won't have room : )

( don't use screen shots, please, use JPEGS, easier to enlarge on a computer )

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

We are pretty set on the layout, but thank you for the advice. I’m mostly interested in how to design the kitchen in the space that we have identified. I like the idea of having fewer upper cabinets. Would you replace them w open shelving or maybe one hutch type cabinet? I was originally thinking about blue/greens but then thought different woods could be better. The dark island is actually a dark wood. We thought it would pair well with a lighter wood floor (laminate).

• ptreckel
    11 days ago

I would add a microwave drawer or a shelf for a microwave. Heating up coffee, water, soup, etc. Do you need a “pantry” with all of the shelving that you plan? Drawers on the bottom or at least pull out shelves in all bottom cabinets.

• kandrewspa
    11 days ago

When your parents live there, will they be cooking every day or eating with you? If anyone is really going to use the kitchen as a kitchen I wouldn't eliminate any of the cabinets. Unless you have a pantry wall somewhere we don't see, there wouldn't be enough storage. How about glass doors on the upper cabinets flanking the range?

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

We do have a pantry closet (not walk in) so the food storage can go there. I like the idea of having some glass cabinets and maybe some open shelves, but which ones should go where?

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

I recently created a guest apartment/place for my parents to live if they ever need it. I have also decorated in a ton of tight spaces. Making the space look more seamless will make it feel bigger and be a nicer, more tranquil backdrop to an open great room.

1. Your hood looks like "Honey, I shrank the hood". Big things made smaller look dinky and make a space feel tighter. Get a simple hood that matches your cabinets.

2. Don't skimp on upper cabinets, especially because there is not good storage in your island. It can be a blow for parents to have to downsize, made worse by "there's no room to bring anything of your own with you." I made sure I had lot of extra, maybe even empty storage in my guest apartment so my parents can imagine filling it with their stuff.

Keep all of the uppers and use glass front (maybe even glass side) to the right of the hood. I did this when I downsized from a 5 bedroom house to a NYC apartment where I can't fit a china cabinet. My favorite family heirlooms are now in the glass front kitchen cabinet. I'm happy to still see my favorite things.

3. All one color. The contrast of the island is making it feel too cramped. You will not regret an all white look in this size space. Bring in color and texture with stools, lighting fixtures, and the entirety of the great room furniture, which is very much part of your kitchen.

While you are at it, design the bathroom with grab bars. (Yes, there are some really nice ones that don't look like a nursing home at all.) If you can't stand to do that, then add blocking for them inside the wall and mark carefully where the blocking is so .you can add them in the future. I did this last year knowing I may never need it. My quite fit and super independent mom had a stroke out of the blue a few weeks ago and is really needing shower bars to steady herself now.

This pic from your idea book is a great example of all white cabinets, island, hood, counter, and backsplash, and texture and interest from stools and lighting, and a feeling of airness from glass front doors.

Lakewood Remodel · More Info

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Great suggestions! Thank you SO much Kendrah!

• einportlandor
    11 days ago

I know you won't want to hear this idea but here goes . . . how about eliminating the (gasp!) island? It would open up the living space and provide room for a small dining table.

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I’ve thought about that. But it currently solves two purposes- the seating and the sink placement

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

I'm usually not an island fan but think this kitchen is too small without it. I think you'll just have to be judicious about arranging sofa or arm chair seating to allow for a drop leaf table of some sort along one of the great room walls.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

You are a bit in fantasy land.

The plan has TWO bedrooms, one bath. No powder room/half bath

Would I as a couple, parent or guest renter want a guest of mine in my already too small bath? No.

The kitchen while a lovely concept? That kitchen goes with a 1400 sq foot home and a lot of folks in that size home would kill for it - but you have 850 sq feet. A bit larger than a standard issue garden apartment in a mid sized city.

A sauna is a nice concept - might even draw a renter....until they realize they have a teen son with them, and DON'T want to be sharing that single bath. If a couple with a child? No tub......!

Either reconcile this as a Honeymoon Luxury rental, and eliminate the second bedroom, enlarge the bath and bed .....( both singles )

OR.......Realize it is not serving either your plans very well, and you are too focused on look and feel and not quite enough on function and for WHOM. The lone bath isn't sized "for aging" in any regard.

I'd give it a whirl, but the dimensions are too hard to read.: )

Yes, I realize you asked a different question- but. That's what I see. Lack of complete clarity in purpose.

• MARI N
    Original Author
    11 days ago

It’s hard to explain all of the context on here but we definitely have evolving needs/uses in mind- from what we need today to what we are planning for in the future. What type of kitchen would you recommend for 850 sq ft?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Put bold dimensions on your posted floor plan, please? They are not legible, and less so when spread or blown up.

In no case do you need a sauna. In no case do you want a sauna.

When you clarify the USE....you clarify design.

Rental......What time periods? A year? A month? For a couple weeks vacation?

Parents....how old are they NOW? How healthy and mobile? They live near you now? Or at a distance?

You can be both rental now, and a longer term parent spot. More clearly defined..

Example? ( not your issue, just example of clarity in function. A guest space over a garage, lake side. For family and kids. Not to eat every meal...to grab breakfast, or a snack or a quick lunch. Not your situation..theirs.: )

Behind that bunk wall? Two adult bedrooms, and two baths.

The kitchen wall in back, the "barely a kitchen" as I call it? : )

That is ALL it needed to be. It's a summer/ ski holiday sleepy stay over space, and not "move in" space.

LAKE SIDE · More Info

LAKE SIDE · More Info

• Missy Bee
    10 days ago

I’m so impressed with those planning to provide a close-by home for aging parents!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

My concern is how this space will function for aging parents . Check out all the info you can find for aging in place that will be your guide IMO. All ideas should have the fact that maybe a walker or hweelchair could be in the future so all doorways wider than usual abthrooms need a lot more space I am nor trying to be a PITA but I am 77 yrs old so think about these things more often now,

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Designing my guest space / parent space I:

1.) Consulted them a lot about what they wanted, needed, liked, disliked. Ultimately the space is for them to use.

2.) Considered what we needed to use the space for until then and blended the short term and long tern needs.

3.) Recognized that we don't know what situation our parents will be in or if they will ever actually use or need the space. For myself I decided this space will not be built to satisfy every possible situation they could find themselves in. I wanted it to be safe for them if they had a cane or walker but would not be wheelchair accessible. (It is in a pre-war apartment and the constraints were ridiculous. If they need a wheel chair they will live somewhere else.

Jan raised excellent points. They may not matter to you but you need to take a deep look at them first. And, do you secretly want this sauna for yourself to use from time to time? Who do you imagine the four people to be - two couples, a family of four? How is the sauna accessed, and is the shower a walk in? Do your parents love a sauna? I can think of sooo many ways to make tranquility a part of this space that do not involve a sauna.

• MARI N
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The sauna is definitely for us :)… not a secret. We are going to evolve the uses of this space- first for us to give us more space and also host our families when they visit. Then short term rentals. Then eventually for aging parents.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Wish list too big for space: )

Re think in order. You want the amenities for a HOUSE....Not a guest cottage, or even a patio home for parents.

You can not successfully put all these "needs and "nice to have" which amount to 100 lbs, into a bag for 50lbs.

You will go in circles, and have an unsuccessful and not useful result for anyone. It can not be ALL things to ALL the people. That means even you.

There will not be "evolving", there will be ripping out, or fail.

• MARI N
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I understand. Thank you for the advice. We don’t have the ability to add on to our house, but we do have space to build a separate living space in our yard totaling 850 sq ft in a desirable location (which is why I think short term renters would be interested). I’m hopeful we can build something useful to us now (more space, sauna, hosting guests) and then we can make the necessary modifications when we need to adapt.