Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chad_mccallister

looking for ideas on living room layout and tv placement

Chad M
12 days ago

Looking for ideas on how to position furniture and the TV for new home family room. The pictures are how the current owner has setup. Don’t think we want to keep this layout as tv placement cuts off the fireplace portion of the room. I’m thinking about putting the Samsung Frame above the fireplace but I I know many don’t recommend that placement. The room is long and with the door to the sunroom…I can’t think of how we should position seating and tv. Help!

Comments (8)

• mcarroll16
    11 days ago

Can you attach a rough sketch with the dimensions of each wall and doorway? Photos often distort dimensions. As it appears though, I would suggest you keep the same TV location, and furnish the room with two seating groups. A larger group (sectional or two sofas) for the TV, and a couple of cozy chairs at the fireplace. Setting aside the whole debate of TVs above fireplaces, it doesn't look like you have a good space there for much seating. It looks like things would end up crammed in tight, blocking the French doors, the stairway landing, or both.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

If you want accuracy, draw and measure the space to include the walls, windows, stair fire and everything in accurate feet and inches.

Upload the drawing as a jpeg in comments

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 days ago

How many people will be needing seats each evening?

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

How many are in your household and watching TV together? Is this the only TV place in the house? Do you imagine times you would be in this room and not watching TV? Looks like former owners had TV in the sunroom, will you too?

What size is your TV? Please include that with the drawings.

• Kay p
    11 days ago

FWIW we have our Samsung frame tv above our fireplaces and we love it

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Over the fireplace depends on the height of the mantle. No just for looks, but for ergonomic recommendations. If you fireplace is too high, you can get a hidden arm that allows you to pull the TV down lower in front of the mantle for better watching. Hard to know if that would even be useful in this space without measurements of the room.

• Chad M
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you all for the comments! I will try to get measurements, I know picture angles can make things misleading on size. Unfortunately I won’t get access for measurements until after closing but I will share at that point.

We’re a family of 5 but we are looking forward to hosting friends (think football games) and want to have seating for 5-7…ideally with visibility to the TV without having to sit facing on direction and having head turned to tv the other direction. Thanks again for the feedback already shared!