Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmlibby

Upper corner kitchen cabinet yay or nay?

mmlibby
11 days ago

How did you solve the upper corner cabinet issue that many of us have? Our current upper corner cabinet has no organization to it. It's just a vast space. Would you stick with an upper corner cabinet and install some type of organization system, or would you run one regular cabinet into a corner? It would be the last upper cabinet along a wall in our L shaped kitchen. Would you do something else I haven't thought of?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    11 days ago

I do think it looks best with the corner cabinet. why don’t you add a couple lazy susans for your storage items?

• mmlibby
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you, Ashleigh. I'll give some thought to keeping a corner cabinet and adding a lazy Susan into our design when we remodel our kitchen.

• bpath
    11 days ago

Are there cabinets along the perpendicular wall? If not, then no angled corner cabinet. Ours just dies right into the corner. DMIL’s is a corner cabinet. A lot of space inside but hard to organize and actually use. The cavity is much larger than the opening, that’s the challenge.

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    11 days ago

A photo would help, if you have one!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 days ago

Diagonal cabinets scream 1980’s and 1990’s to me, I never include them in designs. Aesthetically I’d rather have a blind corner or just have two cabinets meet at the corner.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

I need to see your space and you need to analyze what needs storage and where it makes sense . I try to avoid uppers if possible . Since a remodel is your plan then IMO post a to scale floor plan here in a comment. Use graph paper it makes scaled plans easier to do post in jpeg format here in a comment. DO NOT start another post all things pertaining to this dilemma now dealt with here in comments . That also includes posting the pics of the space here.

• auntthelma
    11 days ago

I have an upper corner cbinet that has a lazy susan in it fittet with a squared off side that allows the door to close. Check with your cabinet maker.

• Sue Pedersen
    11 days ago

Hi. We opted for an easy reach corner cabinet. Essentially, a lazy Susan type folding door. like that it's not in your face while standing at the counter and you don't need a step ladder to reach the back of the lowest shelf. Still need one for the upper shelves, though ;)

• PRO
    11 days ago

THat type of storage IMO is horrible you have stuff buried behind other stuff and never ideal Storage to me is a huge deal in kitchen design and I always sit down with a client and discuss storage and appliances before one thing is discussed about the pretty stuff.

• Boxerpal
    11 days ago

I like these kinds of cabinets for corners..

Kitchen with White Cabinets and Stainless Steel Range and Hood · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

UltraCraft Product Gallery · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

• mmlibby
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Here's what the plan is. I think we're fine with it. There's no diagonal upper corner cabinet. There is a blind corner lower cabinet but we're going to have an organizer installed.

• chispa
    11 days ago

I would do drawers were possible ... like the cabinet to the right of your range.

• PRO
    10 days ago

Please do not do those corner drawers they are useless for strorage . I do not like blind corners in the lowers but rev a shelf has some interesting pullouts for that pupose .Please do a proper hood and all drawers for base cabinets , in small spaces they are just better storage and function

• Buehl
    10 days ago

Is this a new build or a remodel of an existing Kitchen with no option to change the window?

• theresa21
    10 days ago

If that is the kitchen you are going with, I think I would move the range over leaving about 18" to the right of the range. That will give you more workspace between the sink and the range and a larger drawer base to the right of the DW. I would also do as many drawers as you can and I would void the corner base area with a larger drawer base between the fridge and the corner or fit some kind of tray or trash cabinet with a drawer base? Wouldn't it be great if you could move the window over a scooch so that you can have a little space between the sink and the corner and possibly fit in a lazy Susan?