Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_t06

Advice on color entry door?

Laura Trudel
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

Hi there!

Looking for advice. We have a white house. The roof is driftwood certainteed.

We are changing the entry door, any advice on the color?

We are thinking about windswept smoke or dark drift from Gentek color selection. Gutter will be changed to white.

Thanks!!!

Color of our roof :

Color we are thinking for the door :

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    9 days ago

Sight unseen, go with Hunter Orange.

• Maureen
    9 days ago

Can you provide a picture of your home and an example of the door’s style you will be purchasing - both are needed for context. Also, to save people looking up your color choices, can you provide examples (look up brand and name on Pinterest).

• Boxerpal
    9 days ago

So many options to paint your front door. How exciting to update your space... Where to begin? Okay you have a gray roof, which shade of gray? You have a white house which shade of white and which type of house?

Do you have a Mid-Mod house, a cape, a painted brick manor, a cottage, a Spanish bungalow, a ranch, French Provincial, a farmhouse???? ... a mix of some of these...????

New Projects · More Info

Daniel Island 2 · More Info

Craftsman House · More Info

West Seattle Modern Farmhouse · More Info

West Indies Custom Home · More Info

Settlement at Willow Grove - Baton Rouge Custom Home · More Info

Monmouth Street · More Info

• Laura Trudel
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi there. You're right. I uploaded pictures of the house (please note, gutter will be changed to white) and doors style.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 days ago

This is the third front door dilemma in as many days.

Your house is totally neutral--white with a black/gray roof. Any color will work but ask yourself if you want the door to stand out or to blend in? If you want it to stand out, then a bright, highly saturated color would work--red/yellow/orange/blue/green/purple. If you want it to blend in then go with gray, white or black.

Here are the recent discussions on this topic:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6441755/front-door-color-advice

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6440915/benjamin-moore-paint-color-front-door

Laura Trudel thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Boxerpal
    9 days ago

Beautiful home. I vote a fun color that makes you smile every time you return home.

Maybe a soft blue or green....

• kandrewspa
    9 days ago

The brown is dreary. Anything goes with white, but brown would be my last choice. The second green one is better, but honestly not the best shade of green to go with white - too muddy. Does the manufacturer have a sample board you can post so we can see all your choices?

• mojavemaria
    9 days ago

Laura Trudel thanked mojavemaria
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    9 days ago

The door is a bit hard to see. So, I would advise painting it a standout color so that it is more easily seen.

Laura Trudel thanked Norwood Architects
  • Maureen
    9 days ago

I think a muted grey/blue is a better choice and test paint chips against the shingles.

Don’t suggest painting gutters white..they should fade away not be highlighted.

• PRO
    lisedv
    9 days ago

I show one of your colour options but on a door with less glass so that it brings some colour to the house. Complete with a large black sconce and house numbers.

Laura Trudel thanked lisedv
  • housegal200
    9 days ago

Excellent suggestion, lisedv. It enhances the style of the house as well. The door needs to be lighter, either with glass panels or color or both!

• mmc429
    9 days ago

What color/s do you ‘want’ to paint it?

• Laura Trudel
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Wow! Thanks everyone!

• PRO
    9 days ago

I wouldn't recommend any muted colors--they will just blend into the background.

• Laura Trudel
    Original Author
    9 days ago

If gutters aren't white because they're supposed to fade, what colors would be better?

• PRO
    9 days ago

I don't see a problem with white gutters and leaders.

I think the issue was that if they were the same color as the roof, they would fade into the background. But lisedv's mock-up looks fine with white gutters. And you wouldn't want dark leaders which would stand out prominently.

Laura Trudel thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC