Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amacmillan2000

Open concept kitchen - updated post with home photos and layout

Smallbath5
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

*Please scroll down to see the photos I added and the measured layout and plan.

We are removing wall a DR and LR wall to create open concept kitchen floor plan in our 1960s raised ranch. In creating a cohesive look, I would think kitchen countertop and backsplash would need to blend with the brick? Suggestions? The countertop could have marble veining. The backsplash could be tile with brick pattern?

Comments (10)

• Smallbath5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

To clarify…the pic is of the LR brick fireplace.

• Mrs Pete
    9 days ago

Yes, if they're visible together, the countertop /backsplash should match the fireplace.

No, brick and marble aren't going to be friends.

No, a brick pattern in a tile material doesn't mimic real brick.

• Smallbath5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks, Marmiegard. I have found lovely photos of brick with marble counter tops. The house is mid century modern, but builder's grade raised ranch. To me the brick reads more rustic than MCM. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't. What style does the fireplace read to you or in what style direction do you think it can be pushed toward the most? For kitchen cabinets, I'd like to use the slim shaker. Thank you!

• Kendrah
    9 days ago

I would not put brick in the kitchen area. Faux brick looks pretty bad and it would be hard to get on it to exactly match your current brick. Instead of the word blend, I would use the word compliment. Let the fireplace be a nice star of the room (yep your kitchen and living space are one room in open concept) and have the rest of the elements of the kitchen compliment the brick.

Ithink marble would look fine. Think of all of the brick fireplaces with marble hearths.

From your picture you can already tell that grey, wood, the reddish of the woven wicker baskets, and navy compliment your fireplace.

I think anyone of these below kitchens would look great with your fireplace at the other end of them:

Streamlined Suburban Gray Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Design Ideas · More Info

Modern Lincoln Park Farmhouse Kitchen Chicago, IL · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

All That and Then Some - Naperville Kitchen · More Info

Tudor Revival Estate, Full Home Design · More Info

I just hope that you will find another place to put the TV! The fireplace is great but the TV brings it down.

Smallbath5 thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    lisedv
    9 days ago

And what does your kitchen look like so that we can give valuable suggestions? Please post a picture.

Smallbath5 thanked lisedv
  • Smallbath5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

* The kitchen will be gutted.

1. We like this layout the most as it keeps the "dirty" appliances (sink and cooktop) furtherest from the living space. The fridge will be a visual chunk sitting there between the patio door and the new larger window, but it just seems the best place for it in other ways.

2. We use the first closet in the hallway as a pantry and will be building that out with drawers and shelves for better pantry and appliance storage.

3. Our style is definitely eclectic, but I strive to make it all work together. Here's a few pics of our current state of affairs! The open shelving was convenient when this was a busier household, but I'm leaning away from that now.

• Kendrah
    9 days ago

Are you keeping all of your living room furniture? And using it in the same orientation? I like your eclectic style. I'd still take your cues from the grey and wood you have going on now. I'd use a 5" stip of your counter material as your backsplash and paint the rest of the walls the color of your cabinets or the same as your wall color. I think tile backsplashes can be a lot of look in an open space. Going with out them helps to bridge the look between your living area and kitchen area. I've gone without a tile splash in 3 kitchens and love it. Cleans more easily than tile.

Smallbath5 thanked Kendrah
  • Smallbath5
    Original Author
    8 days ago

The couch is 5 years old and the current config works well at this point. Thank you for the thought about the tile backsplashes not always working in open concept. I can see that!

• Smallbath5
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@ Buehl: if you are out there, I'm adding more info per your guides for posting about kitchens! Please lmk if the birds-eye layout diagram above is adequate? We both like to cook and we have different cooking styles. I do most of the veggie/fruit prep.. We are recent "empty nesters" and are looking forward to hosting/entertaining more and hanging out with our 3 adult children without all crowding in the kitchen. I prefer light and bright to dark and moody. We are not fancy, we like vintage/eclectic and the collected look (because that's our reality - ha), but we aren't shabby chic either! We like technology and indoor outdoor CA living and coffee/tea! I'm curious if downsizing from our almost 29 cu ft fridge (3 kids) to something 20 cu ft is a reality. We plan on ordering a GE Profile 36" electric smooth top. (We don't like the buzz from induction cooktops). Have not decided on wall oven with microwave unit above or under counter oven and drawer MW. Hoping to do white oak, slim shaker cabinets. Will extend white/red oak flooring into kitchen. Would love more help from this great forum!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!