Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_378103812

Optimizing Bedroom Layout: Enlarging Bathroom and Relocating Closet

seeking assistance with redesigning our current bedroom. The goal is to create a more spacious bathroom with two sinks and an improved layout. However, the existing bathroom’s location presents challenges. we are considering relocating the closet. Do you have any suggestions on where we could place the closet, or if there is any other suggestion to fix the bathroom issue ?

measurments in meter .

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Post in feet and inches , every wall and window and door.

This is USA....and we are very lazy. Nobody will convert. show the entire living floor. As it is? We can not see where anything else may go

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    Original Author
    9 days ago

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 days ago

made the edits feet and inches in red color , appricate your adivse , suggestions and feedback

• auntthelma
    9 days ago

Of you take some of the closet, you can add storage along the staircase wall to make up for what you lost. Or, perhaps a second closet in the lounge area. Not ideal, but functional.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago

I have been married for 60 yrs and not one time have we ever needed 2 sinks but I sure want a big closet .

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I successfully defused the bathroom bombshe into just the two sinks ll! My wife's grand plan included not only two sinks but also two toilets and a massive, luxurious bathtub

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Take the wife out of dreamland, Save yourself now.

You have to post the entire floor as a jpeg. Not a screen shot.

• PRO
  • auntthelma
    9 days ago

Another idea. fix up the master bath with whatever she wants. You use the hall bath. Separate sinks, separate toilets. win/win!

My husband and I use separate bathrooms. Our house has multiple bathrooms so we each picked our favorite.

• kandrewspa
    9 days ago

That is a very large closet. Couldn't you take approximately three feet (a meter) out of it to get double sinks and reconfigure what's left? I would remove the door from the closet into the bathroom and have the bathroom open directly into the bedroom. If that isn't enough closet space, you could add a reach-in on the wall across from the door into the bedroom.

• 3onthetree
    9 days ago

I always try to approach a problem by expanding it and looking beyond it's borders. Sometimes making it more complicated gives your current issue more opportunity to solve.

So with that in mind, I see you have 3 people using a small bathroom with a very inefficient, tight layout and small shower. I also see your Master is 18'x13', which is quite long when the extra 5' or so length is being empty open space that has no function of seating, furniture, or wall space as the closet door is directly in front of the bed. And you are trying to expand the Master Bath. Outside I also see a trellis structure or a cover for a basement window well, not sure if it relates to these bathrooms, but assume it has no influence here.

I would do schemes of expanding the footprints of both bathrooms and closet towards the right, aligning with the "SectA cut line" which appears to give the Master door enough room next to the stair landing:

- This would allow Bath#2 a larger shower/bathtub and move it away from the toilet. You could also introduce an American style of multi-user function by making the vanity into a separate room from the shower/toilet.

- You gain more space for the amenities your wife wants in the Ensuite, but even if not, an opportunity for a much better layout.

- More closet space depends on how much you expand the Ensuite, but in either case it seems you could slide the closet door from being a focal point from the bed, or create a "vestibule/ante" room where you could choose to enter either the Ensuite or Closet.

- The Master length would still be around 15'-16' which is a better proportion with the smaller side of 13'. If the window was able to slide to the left, you would still have room for Master seating in front of the window.

Sorry my advice is all verbal instead of visual. There are too many unknowns and different schemes to present here, and as a Yankee I have strong bias as to where a toilet should be placed in relationship to the shower, vanity, and door.

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hey @3onthetree Thank you for your detailed explanation, but I'm having trouble understanding some of the technical terms. Could you please simplify your suggestion or provide a rough sketch that would be greatly appreciated ?

Also some additional details that might help:

• This is the first floor of a three storey house, the ground floor is just living room , kitchen and guest toilets .
    • We want to enlarge the master bedroom toilet only , the other toilet is fine as it just serves the common hall area .
    • The house is located in Dubai so heat is a factor so There is a split AC unit located above the bedroom.