Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meems15

Is Additional Tile Cost Fair??

Michelle NJ
10 days ago

Good Morning. Just wanted to get an idea from all of you if recent fee quoted by my contractor is fair based on additional work requested. This is part of large Almost-New Construction project (we left original basement but knocked down rest of home and rebuilt it). In contract, all walls NOT in RED (see pics) are INCLUDED IN CONTRACT. And All RED is NEWLY ADDED. Now that tile is up, it makes sense to actually add tile and continue from the shower to the end of that window wall (to the right of the shower—ceiling vaults up to 164”H) as well as on small wall to the Right of vanity (wall is 25”W x 164”H). Window wall has one single window (sorry I did not have a good single picture and posted 2 pics for fuller view). According to contract, we cover cost of tile and grout so this would really be for labor only. The contractor will also pickup additional tile needed 20 minutes away and bring to site. These are 24”x24” porcelain tiles from Floor and Decor. Their tile installer is in-house and not a sub-contractor. We live in Central NJ. Is $1500 a fair number? Thx.

Comments (18)

• auntthelma
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Thats 15 hours at $100 an hour. We pay generally $75 an hour. (New England)

Determine the approximate time needed times the standard hourly rate and you will have your answer.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago

I would be very surprised if the new tile matches the old so check the dye lot number. As for labour I have no idea what is fair where you live,

• millworkman
    9 days ago

Its a change order so I think that is more than fair.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Ever picked up tile before, loaded and unloaded?

It's more than fair, whether twenty minutes away....or three.

You have to get your act together on this project : )

Check the dye lots.............

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 days ago

It's more in labor and materials, he's not going to do it for free. See if you can calculate the square footage, delivery, and labor costs to determine whether it's fair or not. If you don't think it's fair, then don't do it. Or negotiate with the GC. Keep in mind that change orders are expensive by design, to deter you from wasting the GC's time and opportunity cost of doing another job.

Whether the tile installer is his employee or a subcontractor is irrelevant.

• palimpsest
    9 days ago

It seems reasonable to me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

When you decide mid stream to add and change, to challenge installations when you did not specify or plan at the start.....as you have been doing with the project? I am surprised it was not double lol.

We have a term for that in this biz...we call it the PITA fee. Go ahead, beat me up.: )

• PRO
    Minardi
    9 days ago

VERY reasonable for such a large change order. But, you are NOT going to get the same shade lot as was used for the rest, so be prepared for that to not match, or choose a different color tile entirely for that whole wall. Which means reworking the shower, and redoing the waterproofing. Which obviously needs fully redoing as they put Ditra inside the shower. I don't think your tile guys are tile professionals.

• beesneeds
    9 days ago

Mid-change plan and that much work? Yes, 1500 sounds reasonable. And as others have said, be prepared for lot differences in materials.

• S J
    9 days ago

Sounds reasonable.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks All! And Jan, you’re not that wrong :) I’m doing my best with my adorable but ADHD brain and I try hard to be kind, upbeat, and feed the guys periodically as I do know I can be a bit of a PITA. :)

• Travestine
    8 days ago

Fix the waterproofing issue that should have been caught about 5 steps back.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 days ago

I was just thinking about thta waterproofing too that is why I came back

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 days ago

Waterproofing issue?

• chispa
    8 days ago

Seems very fair with the taller ceiling height and angled cuts for the sloped ceiling.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thanks. I’m glad it seems fair so good to know. Re: Waterproofing—I’m researching (I consulted with a younger contractor friend) but it seems like my experienced contractor is waterproofing in a legitimate but more “old school” manner? From what I understand it is still within legal standards to use Permaboard on walls as it is waterproof but maybe not preferred to using newer product like Kerdi? Walls are mostly done in bathrooms but I will ask about waterproof plan on floors—Is using Ditra on floors (note: there will be heated flooring) WRONG? Or just less preferred to Kerdi on floor? TIA.

• Travestine
    8 days ago

Your research is wrong. This will leak.

• PRO
    Ouroboros Design
    8 days ago

You haven’t called Schluter yet? https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/search/faq