Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_779255259

island design and refrigerator placement in new kitchen

Karen
9 days ago

Currently designing a new kitchen island and placement of sink, dishwasher and pullout garbage. The island is 8 ft long. First option is dishwasher, sink, garbage and drawers left to right. Other option is garbage, sink, dishwasher, drawers left to right. Also questioning placement of refrigerator between two cabinets or on end of cabinets. If between two cabinets there would be a decorative cabinet with glass doors and lower drawers 27inches deep with upper cabinet 15 inches deep. Similar to attached photo

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    9 days ago

It would help to see the entire floor plan with all dimensions filled in. Not just the cabinet layout.

• HU-787167202
    9 days ago

Get the sink out of the island. It's a work space and or an eating area, study area. The grundge of a sink or stove has no business being near.

• auntthelma
    9 days ago

I would put the dishwasher on the same side as it is in your current kitchen. So annoying to have to get used to a new layout.

• Karen
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Here is a small part of the floor plan. It was recently changed so don’t have a full floor plan

• palimpsest
    9 days ago

I would want the DW to the left of the sink in this layout so that it is not between the sink and refrigerator

Be aware that unless you get a "true counter depth" freestanding refrigerator, the refrigerator will stick out much farther than the one shown. (And a built-in would typically be flush with the cabinets) . I would put the refrigerator on the end.

• lharpie
    9 days ago

Dw to left of sink so it isn’t in prep area and out of way from oven opening. i would want fridge on end so i had space for coffee/toaster/etc on fridge wall to leave prep areas clear. where is mw going?

• PRO
    Stearns Design Build
    9 days ago

Hi Karen!

I really like the plans you have for your kitchen! I think whatever you choose, you will be happy with.

To help you out with sink placement, I think a great way to decide which side to put the dishwasher comes down to your dominant hand. If you are right handed, I would place it to the right of the sink so the movement of dishes from the sink to the dishwasher will feel more natural and won't require you to reach across your body. However, if you are left handed, I would place it to left of the sink for the same reasons. Aesthetically, there is no difference between the two options, it really just comes down to functionality and what works best for you.

With the refrigerator, I think what will help you make this decision is to figure out what you want/need more of: storage space or counter space. If storage space is more important to you, definitely choose to put cabinets on both sides of the refrigerator. However, if having as much counterspace as possible is most important, I would move the refrigerator all the way to the end. This will give you one, seamless and usable counterspace rather than two, smaller, less functional ones. To me, it appears you already are going to have lots of counterspace between the island and back wall, so I would suggest choosing the more storage option. However, you know your wants and needs much better than I do, so choose based on which of the two you need more of.

I hope this helps!

-Preston

Designer, Stearns Design Build

www.stearnsdesignbuild.com

• anj_p
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Absolutely DW out of the prep zone. Dominant hands have absolutely ZERO bearing on where it should go. I have had it on both sides and guess what? My preference is wherever it is NOT IN THE WAY. My first house had it on the supposed "right" side for my dominant hand but I couldn't have it open while I was prepping because it was in the way. Biggest pet peeve in that kitchen. New house has it on the "wrong" side but it is much more functional because it's outside the prep zone.

Check your aisles especially with your fridge (AND handle) measurements, remembering to include the clear space from the back of the fridge to the wall.

Counter space adjacent to your fridge will mostly be used for secondary elements (we have a toaster in that space) or a junk collector. It's not great fridge landing space with a french door fridge, nor is it useful in prep or cooking since you have a wall between that & your range. With that being said, I would pick the layout that had the fridge a tad closer to the prep zone. (The second rendering doesn't really match your kitchen plan, so just confirming that what you're showing as a corner wall is what exists).

• Karen
    Original Author
    9 days ago

The corner has a walk through pantry labeled as WTP3396. Not a great photo but best I have