Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob_schmieder

Looking for design ideas to restore/facelift our front house.

Jacob Schmieder
12 days ago

Hello,

We inherited a house that was chopped up throughout the 19th century. In the 1980s, the front porch was removed and a 3-seasons room was built to replace it. Among one of our many renovations over the next few years is to give the front a facelift. However, this house is on a very busy street in an OK neighborhood. The back alley is really the "new front". So we're thinking of creating an accessible front door again and big windows, but maybe a side door? Mud room?

Looking for all and any suggestions.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    12 days ago

" The back alley is really the "new front". "

Where is this "back alley" in the pictures? Do you have an entrance there? Is it used?

" So we're thinking of creating an accessible front door again and big windows, but maybe a side door? Mud room? "

Do you have a floor plan as the pictures only tell a part of the story?

Jacob Schmieder thanked millworkman
  • Jacob Schmieder
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@millworkman I'll look for a picture of the back alley - it is very much used. The upper level of the house has a separate entrance and is airbnb'd. I'll find a photo of the back. This house is in another state and not our main residence.

@kandrewspa Thank you for that inspiration photo, I dig that idea. I wish the house was on a less busy street and/or had nicer homes around it. It's one of those neighborhoods that has slowly improved over the last couple decades, but still comprised of homes split into multi-family homes and not maintained well.

• Jacob Schmieder
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Photos of the back, which is accessed by an alley.

• tracefloyd
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

For the back entrance, you could use an awning over the door, a fence to block the cans, and tall planter pots flanking the door.

Jacob Schmieder thanked tracefloyd
  • Lyn Nielson
    11 days ago

I would not open up the original front porch, the interior living space would be more useful than a decorative porch, especially if the neighborhood is ify.

I would focus on what will be the new access... update it to meet your needs.

Are you able to add on and follow local codes/setbacks?

Jacob Schmieder thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Jacob Schmieder
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Smart, thank you so much!

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago

True, a lot of old construction is granfathered in in older houses, so opening things up for a permit inspection can sometimes create problems bringing up to modern building codes.

I don't see the point in spending bucks for a remodel for the area. Older homes have quirks but this one looks in fine shape and the yard is kept up.

I think just addressing unlocking the house comfortably out of the rain etc. while at the same time creating an inviting space to approach.

Think about a larger deck and steps for the front porch and an awning there, too.

• Jacob Schmieder
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Both very good points, thank you. I'm not sure of the codes or possibility to add-on, but I'm assuming we could add-on. That back entry and side porch are both add-ons from 1988.

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago

I see what you mean. Both side porch and back alley 'shed' style entrance additions could be replaced with something much grander.

BTW, the side porch looks like the front entrace in the photo. I think it would be fine if you kept the front door in that location.

Then, just lengthen the existing windows on the front wall as suggested.